North Wilkesboro today

Yeah , I'm not sure that there is any such thing as racing that "sucks" . There will always be differences in how the racing happens , long and short leads , cautions and no cautions , passing and no passing , it's all just racing to me . I just find that the history of the old tracks , the legend of the Darlington stripe , the old guy's minnow pond ,the uniqueness of Bristol , Dover , Richmond , etc . should be used to attract people to the track. I know it was the legendary Southern 500 that attracted me to go to Darlington , not the closeness of the competition that day . I had no way of knowing wether the racing would be door to door or strung out.

NASCAR should be more concerned about television audience. NASCAR's going to be collecting roughly about $820 million in television revenue annually. That's probably three times as much as what all parties (NASCAR, ISC, SMI, etc) makes in ticket/admission revenue - combined.

It doesn't matter if a brobdingnagian can seat 140,000 people if half those seats are empty and people aren't watching on television because the racing at that brobdingnagian sucks.

NASCAR answers to FOX and NBC now.

watchin vikings/49'ers exhb on tv now. nbc's 1st class crew callin it. good crowd...but not packed. but check tv ratins tomorrow.

nbc....fox....an nascar answer ta tv ratins now......w/ new deal.......symbiotic relationship.

on tha other hand....isc...smi....etc.....gotta tuff/diff job ta do also ......sorta like jerry jones----how ta get butts in seats.

2 entirely diff goals. but same end desires. again....symbiotic.

if nascar had stayed regional.....think we;d be watchin'em on tv now ?

watchin vikings/49'ers exhb on tv now. nbc's 1st class crew callin it. good crowd...but not packed. but check tv ratins tomorrow.

nbc....fox....an nascar answer ta tv ratins now......w/ new deal.......symbiotic relationship.

on tha other hand....isc...smi....etc.....gotta tuff/diff job ta do also ......sorta like jerry jones----how ta get butts in seats.

2 entirely diff goals. but same end desires. again....symbiotic.

if nascar had stayed regional.....think we;d be watchin'em on tv now ?

It's preseason.

Nobody's saying NASCAR should've "stayed" regional. What I've been saying for years is it's a verifiable fact that the majority of NASCAR's fans are in the Southeast ... which is why the market was oversatured with races in the first place. Instead of getting rid of one Atlanta race, one Charlotte race, one Darlington, one Rockingham race and one Wilkesboro race, they closed two damn good racetracks, reconfigured another really good track, moved a crowned jewel event to Los Angeles and host gimmick after gimmick at another track. Sure, they got a temporary financial boost from it - but how's it working out now? Those new fans quit going to the races after the novelty wore off and NASCAR pissed off their core fanbase in the process.

Wilkesboro and Rockingham were two of the best tracks in NASCAR.

I'd rather see someone bulldoze North Wilkesboro to the ground and build a shopping mall than watch it sit there and crumble away year after year. It's sad and infuriating.

It's preseason.

Nobody's saying NASCAR should've "stayed" regional. What I've been saying for years is it's a verifiable fact that the majority of NASCAR's fans are in the Southeast ... which is why the market was oversatured with races in the first place. Instead of getting rid of one Atlanta race, one Charlotte race, one Darlington, one Rockingham race and one Wilkesboro race, they closed two damn good racetracks, reconfigured another really good track, moved a crowned jewel event to Los Angeles and host gimmick after gimmick at another track. Sure, they got a temporary financial boost from it - but how's it working out now? Those new fans quit going to the races after the novelty wore off and NASCAR pissed off their core fanbase in the process.

I'd rather see someone bulldoze North Wilkesboro to the ground and build a shopping mall than watch it sit there and crumble away year after year. It's sad and infuriating.

well said, in a nutshell

thank you

And ISC, SMI - they're not doing their job. The fans aren't showing up. The only reason Bruton Smith has as many dates as he has is because the man's a bully. The second NASCAR moves a race from Texas or Charlotte to Rockingham or Iowa, the man will be filing "antitrust lawsuits" left and right. Bruton Smith is THE reason we can't have nice things. And, in a few weeks, he'll be on TV telling us how the lone date in that "Godforsaken area just north of Cuba" should be removed from the schedule to make room for another race at boring Las Vegas.

If NASCAR pulled Martinsville and Bristol from the schedule and replaced them with brand new brobdingnagians in Texas and somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest, Matthew would defend them.

You are dead wrong. If you're to thick to understand basic business concepts you should probably stay out of such conversations.

It doesn't matter if 90,000 people go to Michigan Speedway or 40,000 people. If the racing sucks (and it does suck at that track nine times out of 10) and fans aren't watching on TV, it just doesn't matter. TV ratings mean more now than fan attendance - especially given how many of those tickets are given away or sold at discount prices.

I'm sure NBCSN would much rather have their cameras airing a standalone Nationwide race at Hickory Speedway in front of a capacity crowd of about 13,000 people that fans will watch on TV because the racing's good than cover a standalone Nationwide race in Chicago where the stands aren't even 10% full and the racing is dull and boring.

I understand that argument but don't see how it applies to places like Charlotte , It has two races back to back and a number of tracks within a couple of hours driving distance . I also wonder about the TV audience , who have no concerns about proximity of the tracks but do have concerns about seeing racing at historic venues like Darlington , North Wilkesboro , and Rockingham . I understand they were down in attendence figures , but I think that it turned out to be much more than an individual track problem . Some older racefans might be lured back by a little more emphasis on track history . I guess this is just a twist on my "why change " argument , but some of the new stuff isn't working any better than the old stuff. IMO
Who got a hold of Ted's password?

It's preseason.

andy----can't have it both ways. growth--n--ole school standards.

would i like ta see a jr johnson type as champ owner again ? you bet.
how bout a gant...pearson...allison ..type.. as drivers. yep !
heck.....i'd like two 24 yr old necked blondes w/ me watchin tha game tonite.
think i'll get me wishes ? ha!

andy----can't have it both ways. growth--n--ole school standards.

NASCAR doesn't have it either way. They pissed off their core fans. Where are the new fans? Where are the fans from Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit and Dallas? They've been turned off because the product NASCAR and Bruton brought them sucked. And the fans who watched for decades and watched a good product now see the same sorry product.

If the racing is good, people will watch. Let's all go ahead and admit it's not. A good race today, in 2013, is what was average when NASCAR's explosion occurred in the 90s and early 2000s. Busch Series races were exceptional and often unpredictable. Truck Series racing was thrilling every week. There was an infusion of new blood. That new blood attracted new fans. Local short trackers got in Nationwide and Trucks and attracted fans to watch those races.

None of that is the case anymore. Sprint Cup racing is dull and boring more often than not. The same drivers that were winning 10 years ago are still winning. There is very rarely a young driver. Nationwide sucks - it just does. Kyle Busch and Brad Keselowski have destroyed that series beyond repair. And the Trucks run at the same superspeedways as Cup now.

If they had built short tracks when they expanded or raced at road courses, those fans might've watched and enjoyed the product. Instead, NASCAR appeased corporate sponsors and raced at brobdingnagians with hundreds of corporate suites and the fans who went to see what this NASCAR thing was all about were bored to tears.

If they had built short tracks when they expanded or raced at road courses, those fans might've watched and enjoyed the product. Instead, NASCAR appeased corporate sponsors and raced at brobdingnagians with hundreds of corporate suites and the fans who went to see what this NASCAR thing was all about were bored to tears.

great word, for what it's worth . . .

It's preseason.

Yeh it is pretty sad to see it crumbling away, really sad.

NASCAR doesn't have it either way. They pissed off their core fans. Where are the new fans? Where are the fans from Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit and Dallas? They've been turned off because the product NASCAR and Bruton brought them sucked. And the fans who watched for decades and watched a good product now see the same sorry product.

If the racing is good, people will watch. Let's all go ahead and admit it's not. A good race today, in 2013, is what was average when NASCAR's explosion occurred in the 90s and early 2000s. Busch Series races were exceptional and often unpredictable. Truck Series racing was thrilling every week. There was an infusion of new blood. That new blood attracted new fans. Local short trackers got in Nationwide and Trucks and attracted fans to watch those races.

None of that is the case anymore. Sprint Cup racing is dull and boring more often than not. The same drivers that were winning 10 years ago are still winning. There is very rarely a young driver. Nationwide sucks - it just does. Kyle Busch and Brad Keselowski have destroyed that series beyond repair. And the Trucks run at the same superspeedways as Cup now.

Well I have to say the new car is pretty damn awesome and the racing has improved a lot this year. The only places I have a problem with the new car are Dega and Daytona.

I dunno who this poster is, but what a prediction.
Anyways the repave of Wilkesboro looks to be complete?

I love NW

But, I saw the twitter and thought there would be some of them wimmins you posted in the rassling thread

I love NW

But, I saw the twitter and thought there would be some of them wimmins you posted in the rassling thread
Thank you Junior! So cool that this sport matters so much to him that he saved the place....and that this sport recognizes how important Junior is, and they repaid him with a date and a repave. Who the hell else has this kind of pull? Just amazing. ****** love Junior.

Thank you Junior! So cool that this sport matters so much to him that he saved the place....and that this sport recognizes how important Junior is, and they repaid him with a date and a repave. Who the hell else has this kind of pull? Just amazing. ****** love Junior.

Would be nice if they could grow the product more and go back to old tracks where Dale Jr. ran good like Pikes Peak, Rockingham, Chicagoland, Kentucky instead of Atlanta x2, Kansas x2, and a couple other 2 race markets, etc.

Now do Rockingham!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this sport recognizes how important Junior is, and they repaid him with a date and a repave.
Important, my ass. If Congress hadn't coughed up the taxpayers' money, this place would still be rusting, Junior or no Junior. NW wasn't on the radar for the state of NC or owner SMI until Uncle Sugar started giving away the COVID bucks. Junior's lobbying definitely helped, but our money was allocated by the NC legislature, not 'the sport'. Even then, all NASCAR 'repaid' was the date; you and I paid for the repave.

Important, my ass. If Congress hadn't coughed up the taxpayers' money, this place would still be rusting, Junior or no Junior. NW wasn't on the radar for the state of NC or owner SMI until Uncle Sugar started giving away the COVID bucks. Junior's lobbying definitely helped, but our money was allocated by the NC legislature, not 'the sport'. Even then, all NASCAR 'repaid' was the date; you and I paid for the repave.
It's finally nice to see my tax dollars go towards something I want rather than buying those fudge rounds.

I thought them people paid Junior for the hard work of weed-eating plus the roundup, and he just told them they could keep that money to go toward re-opening the track?

Wuttin that be the whole reason he skipped putting any type of filler into the cracks. I am pretty sure that part would have took a lot of filler and blown the whole budget and that he would justassoon run the race without any, cracks be damned.

You probably couldn't even go to the local Lowes store and buy that many tubes of filler anyway... and it sure would be a mess with a Lowes/Home Depot mixed up combination of the filler to complete the job and so forth.....

You probably couldn't even go to the local Lowes store and buy that many tubes of filler anyway... and it sure would be a mess with a Lowes/Home Depot mixed up combination of the filler to complete the job and so forth.....
Lowe's and HD aren't in the sport any more; maybe that's why?. I'm confident Menards would have had more than enough to patch the entire track AND dispatched Paul to help.

Lowe's and HD aren't in the sport any more. I'm confident Menards would have had more than enough to patch the entire track AND dispatched Paul to help.
They probably got Paul Menard filler that's made from parts of Paul Menard hisself.

Yeah , I'm not sure that there is any such thing as racing that "sucks" . There will always be differences in how the racing happens , long and short leads , cautions and no cautions , passing and no passing , it's all just racing to me . I just find that the history of the old tracks , the legend of the Darlington stripe , the old guy's minnow pond ,the uniqueness of Bristol , Dover , Richmond , etc . should be used to attract people to the track. I know it was the legendary Southern 500 that attracted me to go to Darlington , not the closeness of the competition that day . I had no way of knowing wether the racing would be door to door or strung out.
Can't like this enough. The vocal fanbase which tends to be the most negative couldn't tell you what they want when they arrive at the track if their lives depended on it. They just keep bitching. Anybody find it fascinating how Kyle Larson can dominate the **** out of the field one week in Vegas, and then get his ass kicked in Phoenix? I find that compelling, but I will just sit back and listen to the "experts" bitch about aero blocking and diffusers. This sport is awesome, and one day we will figure that out. The ****** pandemic--which took racing away--should have taught us that.

Back
Top Bottom