Note from Chad Little

H

HardScrabble

I'll give him a tip of the hat, one armchair driver to another.:D

Today I find myself amazed that it has been a year since the cowardly, heinous attack on our country. I reflect back at how it has changed my attitude and how I view life. I've always cherished my family and the opportunities God has given me and am extremely thankful for them. You can't help but be changed forever when such a incredible event happens in your homeland. My thoughts and prayers are with our country and the people whose lives have been so deeply affected.

My perspective has also changed as a result of my "seat" position -- from car to spectator.

As the season winds down, it's easy for me to be critical of the performance of my competitors. Especially, since I'm an "arm chair driver," at this point. No wonder so many race fans make comments on how we drive and conduct ourselves. During this past weekend I wanted to throw my TV out the window. Wreck after wreck, I couldn't believe how many drivers were chopping each other off as they entered the turns. Of course, then I remembered when me and Bobby Labonte made contact entering turn three at Loudon a couple years ago. So easy to be critical.

Short tracks like Richmond, Martinsville, Loudon and Bristol, by their very design make us drivers look like we need eye-glasses. The spotter's vantage points are good, but the corners are sharp, making it appear like we're "clear", when in fact the car on the inside has a couple of feet on our quarter panel. Contact, crash. Contact, crash. So easy to be critical.

And, talk about tempers. At all short tracks, the cars are more competitive, relative to each other. Aerodynamics and horsepower differences among the teams are minimized, not forgotten. Anyway, you work ten to twenty laps trying to pass a slower car, all the time knowing that you are abusing your tires and brakes. Why can't he just let me by? You say to yourself. Maybe even yelling at your spotter to find this guy's spotter and ask him to let you by. Then, finally a little tap in the center (it's the best place to bump because neither one of you are into the throttle yet) and he moves up and you move past. The problem is, he doesn't forget. The favor is returned 100 laps later, but this time the bump is too hard and around you go, backing it into the wall. Day over. So easy to be critical.

What about the post race conduct? From the vantage point of the casual observer or fan reading the article, it's easy to see fault. You read how this guy shoved a reporter and another guy cussed a fellow driver. I cannot condone any of it, but remember what's made NASCAR so popular over the years is access, access, access. I cannot think of another sport where so many people --fans and media, sponsors and family --have such direct access to the competitors prior to, during and following the event. That is the beauty of NASCAR. But, its a great ingredient for disaster when you are hot, mad and want to left alone. So easy to be critical.

So what have I been doing other than analyzing races? Searching for a job! My goals and focus have not changed. I am determined to find the right situation. I'm working hard on a number of opportunities for 2003. I hope to see the races from a different perspective soon ---from the driver's seat.

Him and Bobby had a mini-rivalry going a couple years ago. It actually might have been more of a 97 team vs 18 team thing.

Would love to see Chad back in the seat of another Ford. He's another class act that doesn't gett any credit.

Interesting perspective, from a driver that's been sidelined. I agree that we are often more critical on drivers than we should be. We almost forget they are human and will make mistakes that we ourselves would have probably easily made in the same situation.

Maybe we should get him in the booth instead of Wally Dallenbach... Hopefully Chad will get another ride soon, he's a good driver when he's got the right equipment under him.

Originally posted by be9ak7ts16
Would love to see Chad back in the seat of another Ford. He's another class act that doesn't gett any credit.
That's what he's been driving and where is he now? AT HOME! Put him in a Dodge or GM product.

Interesting you should mention TV rpm!

Chad Little Fills In for Cope on "NASCAR This Morning"
Chad Little will fill in for Derrike Cope this week on NASCAR This Morning while Derrike recuperates from his injuries.

"NASCAR This Morning" Set for New Timeslot
This weekend NASCAR This Morning moves to Sundays at 9:00 a.m. ET on Fox Sports Net. This week's show includes:

· Matt Kenseth will stop by to discuss his win in Richmond last week.
· They'll discuss the Rookie points battle and how points are earned.
· They sit down Robbie Gordon to discuss his season.
· Numerous live interviews to help set up the Loudon race.

Back
Top Bottom