Notre Dame bound....

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
I'm not sure where I originally posted about my daughter's NCAA career but I thought I'd post this little story and update of her career in track and field.

A little background on this. About 5 years ago she became the one and only state champion of any type for her high school in track and field. Specifically throwing. She throws both shot put and discus. In her final year competing in high school she broke the school records in both shot put and discus but it stood for over 30 years. She also won the state championship in discus. This brought about offers from all over the country to become a NCAA Division I athlete. In her case not only did she excel athletically she also graduated the valedictorian in her class. Because of this she was recruited by the Ivy league specifically Cornell and the University of Pennsylvania. She eventually chose the University of Pennsylvania where she majored in Biomolecular Chemical Engineering. She received her bachelor's degree a little more than a month ago.

During her time competing for the University of Pennsylvania in Ivy league she became a three-time individual Ivy league champion in shot put both indoor and outdoor seasons. She also holds the shot put record all time for the University of Pennsylvania as well as number two all-time for the University of Pennsylvania in discus. That's more than a hundred years of competition in track and field for that university.

Meanwhile, due to the Corona virus she lost her final outdoor season as all sporting events were canceled for the spring. The NCAA decided to let student athletes that lost that final season be eligible to compete their final season if they decided to extend their schooling. In her case, she put her name on what is known as the portal. The portal allows students to be recruited by other universities by making it known that they wish to transfer. As soon as she placed her name on the portal she started being recruited by several universities again just like when she was in high school as a senior. Well, as the title suggests she's bound for Notre Dame where she will be competing next spring in their outdoor season. I won't get into specifics on the offer but she will obtain her master's degree in the business field related to chemical engineering by this time next year in an accelerated program. So, when we thought all was lost with the Corona virus taking away that final season it actually ended up being a blessing in the end.

Next spring my wife and I will be trying to get to each and every event that we can that she competes in for that final season. It's been a long fun ride.

I'll post a couple pics or more of some of her competition.

Also I'm doing text to type so some of this may not come out right.

WOW DPK. Cheering her on!

Supporting your daughter like that...thats a good dad

Some pics.....

I'll have to search for some discus shots when I'm on the computer. Too hard on the phone right now.
4703a089c67180a4cb04df4cb5c0ccce.jpg
75287945e6433f9d58663ea64ec3e926.jpg
906733be161df2a43c2248d4f1a52a7f.jpg
a8ec63ba520527462808cba649cea7ca.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dpk, give her my heartiest congratulations. I know you and the whole family are just busting with pride in her accomplishments.
Yeah, it's been such a big part of our whole families life for a while. Coming to a close but on to the next chapter for her soon. She works hard towards her goals. She obtains them too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PERSONAL RECORDS
Shot Put: 16.77m (55-0.25)
Discus: 53.83m (176-7)
Weight Throw: 13.39m (43-11.25)

CAREER ACCOLADES
2020 Ivy League Indoor Heps Team Champion
2020 Indoor Heps Champion (Shot Put)
2020 Indoor First-Team All-Ivy (Shot Put)
2019 NCAA Outdoor Qualifier (Shot Put)
2019 Ivy League Outdoor Heps Team Champion
2019 Outdoor Heps Champion (Shot Put)
2019 Outdoor First-Team All-Ivy (Shot Put)
2019 Ivy League Indoor Heps Team Champion
2019 Indoor Heps Champion (Shot Put)
2019 Indoor First-Team All-Ivy (Shot Put)
2018 NCAA Outdoor Qualifier (Shot Put)
2018 NCAA Outdoor Qualifier (Discus)
2018 Ivy League Outdoor Heps Team Champion
2018 Ivy League Indoor Heps Team Champion
2018 Indoor Second-Team All-Ivy (Shot Put)
2017 NCAA Outdoor Qualifier (Discus)
First all-time at Penn in the indoor shot put (16.77m/55-0.25)
First all-time at Penn in the outdoor shot put (16.05m/52-6.5)
Second all-time at Penn in the discus (53.83m/176-7)
OUTDOOR 2020
  • All 2020 Ivy League sports were canceled on Wednesday, March 11 due to a nationwide outbreak of coronavirus COVID-19.
INDOOR 2020
  • Competed in seven meets, including capturing another championship at the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships (March 1) in the shot put.
  • Earned first-team All-Ivy honors in the shot put by winning with a mark of 15.43m (50-7.5).
  • Set a season-best mark of 15.76m (51-8.5) at the season-opening Navy Invitational (Dec. 7) to win the meet.
  • Also won the shot put at the Sykes & Sabock Challenge (Feb. 8) at Penn State.
  • Finished second at the Princeton Indoor Invitational (Feb. 23), Dr. Sander Columbia Challenge (Jan. 25), and the Penn 8-Team Select (Jan. 18).
OUTDOOR 2019
  • Competed in nine meets, including the NCAA East Region Preliminary (May 25), Ivy League Outdoor Heps (May 5) and the 125th running of the Penn Relays (April 27).
  • Qualified for the NCAA East Prelim.; finished 41st in Jacksonvile, Fla. in the shot put.
  • Captured the Outdoor Heps title in the shot put with a toss of 15.69m and placed third in the discus, recording a mark of 46.94m.
  • Finished as the runner-up in both the shot put and discus at the IC4A/ECAC Championship (May 12).
  • Won the shot put at the Larry Ellis Invitational (April 20), Sam Howell Invitational (April 6) and the Penn Challenge (March 23).
  • Also on the discus at the Penn Challenge.
INDOOR 2019
  • Competed in the shot put in nine meets during the indoor season, impressively winning seven titles.
  • Captured the Ivy League Indoor Heps (Feb. 24) championship with a toss of 16.07m.
  • Launched a PR of 16.77m at the Harvard-Penn Dual to win.
  • Also racked up wins at the TCNJ Indoor Open (Dec. 1), Wesley A. Brown Invitational (Jan. 12), Penn 8-Team Select (Jan. 19), Villanova Invitational (Feb. 2) and Princeton Indoor Invitational (Feb. 16).
OUTDOOR 2018
  • Appeared in nine meets throughout the 2018 outdoor season, competing each week in the shot put and discus.
  • Scored in both events at the 2018 Ivy League Outdoor Heptagonal Championships (May 6), placing third in each.
  • Qualified for the 2018 NCAA East Region Prelims (May 24-26) in both the shot put and discus, placing 18th in shot and 15th in discus.
  • Competed in both events at the Penn Relays (April 26-28).
  • Won the discus at the Penn Challenge (March 24), Raleigh Relays (March 31), and Temple Invitational (April 13), while placing first in the shot put at the Sam Howell Invitational (April 6), and at Temple.
  • Totaled 12 top-five performance on the year.
INDOOR 2018
  • Competed in all nine meets of the 2018 indoor season, exclusively in the shot put.
  • Placed second in the shot put at the 2018 Ivy League Indoor Heptagonal Championships (Feb. 25) with a distance of 15.00m, matching a season best.
  • Finished first in the shot put at both the Villanova Invitational (Feb. 3) and the Princeton Invitational (Feb. 17).
  • Placed in the top-three in seven of nine meets on the year.
OUTDOOR 2017
  • Competed in all nine meets of the 2017 outdoor season, making appearances in both the shot put and discus.
  • Qualified for the 2017 NCAA East Region Prelims (May 25) in the discus throw, notching a toss of 45.48m.
  • Finished third in both the shot put and discus at the 2017 Ivy League Outdoor Heptagonal Championships (May 7).
  • Set the school record in the discus throw with a toss of 49.70m at Ivy Heps.
  • Won both the shot put and discus at the Penn Challenge (March 25) to open the season.
  • Claimed the discus title at the Transatlantic Series (April 15).
  • Totaled nine top-five placements on the year.
INDOOR 2017
  • Competed in all nine meets during the 2017 indoor season, making appearances in both the shot put and weight throw.
  • Placed sixth at the 2017 Ivy League Indoor Heptagonal Championships (Feb. 26) in the shot put.
  • Tallied six first-place finishes in the shot put during the season; at the Lehigh Season Opener (Dec. 2), Lehigh Angry Birds Challenge (Jan. 14), Penn 8-Team Select (Jan. 21), Villanova Invitational (Feb. 4), FasTrack National Invite (Feb. 10) and Princeton Invitational (Feb. 19).
  • Set the school record in the indoor shot put on three separate occasions, settling at 15.19m after her freshman season.

Remarkable achievements for a remarkable young lady. Can truly understand the well deserved pride you have in her.
I'm sure she will do well in the world once she gets her mind made up to take a specific path.

Chips, cheers and beers as a salute to a wonderful lady, proud Momma and Poppa.

An engineering degree and a masters, and little to no debt. You cna't beat that, on top of the athleticism!

Thought I'd share a quick update. There's a new all-time discus record holder at Notre Dame in women's discus. Three meets for the Irish, three wins in the books. Just shy of the Olympic Trials mark.

Attachments

• EypzsAXW8AEaHZ6.jpeg
    EypzsAXW8AEaHZ6.jpeg
    647 KB · Views: 127
Back
Top Bottom