Old races to rewatch while we're postponed

Turtle84

Hail Melon 🍉
I highly recommend the 2001 Atlanta race on youtube as a rewatch replacement for this weekend. I already watched it yesterday, it had me questioning if I was watching the right race, since I knew the ending, but hadn't seen the whole thing. DW wasn't kidding, what a race.

ps I got a kick out of seeing the 20 foot pole squeeegggy clean off the windshields, forgot all about that, good times.

What other good ones do y'all know of?

Get outside -- away from people.

I was hoping to be joyfully shuttered in with NASCAR keeping my company for the entire weekend, but that went in the crapper AND Spring time is starting to show up here -- so outside I go.

(but I did want to watch NASCAR...)

Watched the 2004 Truck Race at Atlanta today
Have the 95 Busch Race and 85 Fall Cup Race for the weekend. Probably will pick 3 races each weekend until all this ends (whenever that will be)
May add one or two F1 or IndyCar races during the week if I need something to watch

I highly recommend the 2001 Atlanta race on youtube as a rewatch replacement for this weekend. I already watched it yesterday, it had me questioning if I was watching the right race, since I knew the ending, but hadn't seen the whole thing. DW wasn't kidding, what a race.

ps I got a kick out of seeing the 20 foot pole squeeegggy clean off the windshields, forgot all about that, good times.

What other good ones do y'all know of?
We don’t talk about that race.

Any of the old Xfinity Series short track races from the early 90s is a good choice.

I got into some old Rougemont and Hickory races a few weeks ago! Some older Nazareth events (ones I attended) too! The sound of those bumble bee V6's takes me back....

The 2007 Daytona 500 was wild. As was the 2003 Carolina Dodge Dealers 400 at Darlington.

Get outside -- away from people.

I was hoping to be joyfully shuttered in with NASCAR keeping my company for the entire weekend, but that went in the crapper AND Spring time is starting to show up here -- so outside I go.

(but I did want to watch NASCAR...)
Birding, baby. Spring migration is under way.

Ducking out on watching our “experts” go toe to toe on Coronavirus, glad someone made this thread. Watching this one right now. What a race Elliott vs Earnhardt! And I can’t get over what a $hithole Richmond Raceway looked like!

Learned today during my watch of the 95 Busch race at Atlanta that the one and only Rick Ware ran (yes it’s the same one)
A36B6DAC-DDA5-4C70-BB1D-B9CC1C0F14FA.jpeg

Ducking out on watching our “experts” go toe to toe on Coronavirus, glad someone made this thread. Watching this one right now. What a race Elliott vs Earnhardt! And I can’t get over what a $hithole Richmond Raceway looked like!

By today's standards that track is a death trap!

We don’t talk about that race.

Valiant effort, your boy was a lap down for a while, and running 7th or something ridiculous with like 20 to go. Strictly racing the last 30-50 laps of that race are some of the best I've seen on an intermediate.

I don't find it fun watching something I already know the outcome of. It's the same reason I never watch movies more than once.

I'm usually surprised how much I missed the first time I watch something. If ya don't remember, it's like brand new ;)

I don't find it fun watching something I already know the outcome of. It's the same reason I never watch movies more than once.

I like watching the older races for more than that actual outcomes. There's so many little nuances that you miss and simply ignore when watching the live broadcast.

I think the fact Sawyer was battling the local and state governments for several in attempt to build a new facility didn't help matters. Dave Despain sits down with Sawyer during the 1988 spring broadcast to explain how the .75 mile track came about after the original plan to build a super speedway fell through...

I almost never watch old sports. There’s a number of old movies I’ll watch repeatedly but it’s a very short list; less than 20.

Very first Southern 500, September 4, 1950. While there was obviously an element of danger I feel like these cars were so massive and the speeds still relatively modest (82 mph qualifying) the odds of avoiding injury were better in the drivers seat than in the pits. It took a few years before car technology caught up to the track. Also, anyone know why Darlington's official length changed? 1950 through 1952 it was listed at 1.250 miles, 1953 through 1970 1.375 and 1971-present 1.366

Lee Petty in the 42

Two interesting tidbits according to racing-reference about this race.
- Larry Mann driving the #43 Green Hornet died in a lap 211 crash. He was the first fatality during a NASCAR Grand National event.
- The 250 mile race took 3 hours and 27 minutes to complete at an average speed of 72.463 mph

Gonna go down the line of Cup veterans that are still running, first wins at some of their best tracks. Already checked Harvick off the list, now KB with Bristol Hendrick COT.

Also, anyone know why Darlington's official length changed? 1950 through 1952 it was listed at 1.250 miles, 1953 through 1970 1.375 and 1971-present 1.366
Inflation; I’m surprised it hasn’t gone up more.

More likely due to changes in the banking and repaving. I’m guessing the bottom edge of the banking has been pushed around a bit over the decades.

I like watching the older races for more than that actual outcomes. There's so many little nuances that you miss and simply ignore when watching the live broadcast.

little nuances 2007 Bristol, the heavy hitters for current JGR all drove Chevy's, there was a Dodge Avenger, Edwards poached the Busch series, Mike Joy low-key called Allmendinger Wallmendinger, they flashed a graphic after Crank It Up to Crank It Down "they're about to talk", fans cheered for Kyle in victory lane.

little nuances 2007 Bristol, the heavy hitters for current JGR all drove Chevy's, there was a Dodge Avenger, Edwards poached the Busch series, Mike Joy low-key called Allmendinger Wallmendinger, they flashed a graphic after Crank It Up to Crank It Down "they're about to talk", fans cheered for Kyle in victory lane.
There were fans at spring Bristol back in the day

Just started the 1987 Trans South 500 from Darlington, that overhang on the front stretch is so bad @ss, I wish I could have watched a race sitting under there. I love Darlington any year.

Great thread! Lots of really good suggestions :cheers:

Here's a handful of mine:

1992 Hooters 500
1979 Rebel 500
1993 Winston 500
1984 Winston 500
1997 Miller 500
1985 Southern 500
1990 Valleydale Meats 500
1989 Holly Farms 400
1994 AC Delco 500
1989 Peak Performance 500
1997 Southern 500
2002 Sharpie 500
1988 Daytona 500
2001 Monte Carlo 400

You really can't go wrong with any race from the mid 80's thru the early/mid 00's. Most 90's races at Bristol were fantastic.

Don't forget about 90's Busch, Trucks, ASA. For those of you who don't want to know the outcome, this route might be more entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom