Old races to rewatch while we're postponed

Mike Helton without a mustache is just plain weird
7F2CF3B5-1DE3-4A85-8A86-251246695A59.jpeg

The races during the tire wars are fascinating! The 1988 600 was absolute carnage! It nearly killed Buddy Baker, cost Rick Wilson a likely win (dominant car) and escalated/popularized the Bodine/Earnhardt feud.....

I love watching races from my young kid days. I remember them in context but obviously didn't absurd a lot of things past a typical 6-10 year old level. I still remember having all my NASCAR matchbox cars/hot wheels/winner circle ones etc. out creating my own race while it was on tv. During football season I'd have my Hutch NFL uniform on and run into walls. I'd still due both if it was socially acceptable at my age...lol

Why watch rerun races? Unless your a young'n & have not seen them before you already know who the winner is.
I stay busy in my workshop, no weekend racing = more time for R&D working on my perpetual motion device.
If you happen to have a pilots license for flying a desk every day suggest that you borrow a shovel & plant a tree.
Apologies to the board for the above I watched a George Carlin show last night I am cynical this AM.

I watch old race because it's fun and I was 2.5 years old in 1987, I am determined to watch all of Dale's wins that season and then jump into the 1988 season. It's fun theres not much else to do.

Why watch rerun races? Unless your a young'n & have not seen them before you already know who the winner is.
I stay busy in my workshop, no weekend racing = more time for R&D working on my perpetual motion device.
If you happen to have a pilots license for flying a desk every day suggest that you borrow a shovel & plant a tree.
Apologies to the board for the above I watched a George Carlin show last night I am cynical this AM.

The races during the tire wars are fascinating! The 1988 600 was absolute carnage! It nearly killed Buddy Baker, cost Rick Wilson a likely win (dominant car) and escalated/popularized the Bodine/Earnhardt feud.....

I love watching races from my young kid days. I remember them in context but obviously didn't absurd a lot of things past a typical 6-10 year old level. I still remember having all my NASCAR matchbox cars/hot wheels/winner circle ones etc. out creating my own race while it was on tv. During football season I'd have my Hutch NFL uniform on and run into walls. I'd still due both if it was socially acceptable at my age...lol

You could catch me in a Chargers one playing NASCAR 94 on Sega Saturn after I had watched Top Gun with my Dad for the 50th time.

1989 Indy 500, Emmo vs Little Al Battle! Also, arguably the greatest intro ever into a motorsports telecast. ABC used the "Delta Force" theme for several years in the late 80's, early 90's but they were all a little different. The '89 rendition is the "Grand Daddy of Them All". Take 4 minutes and watch it. Your day will be better for it. This is the IMS official youtube channel so the quality is topnotch.

Last edited:
I(since we can post old CART/INDYCAR races) I will be watching this later today when I get home from work. I was at this race, cool track wish it had survived.

Entertainment for the Easily Amused: See if the race you're watching has a stale discussion still posted here, and to follow along.

1989 Indy 500, Emmo vs Little Al Battle! Also, arguably the greatest intro ever into a motorsports telecast. ABC used the "Delta Force" theme for several years in the late 80's, early 90's but they were all a little different. The '89 rendition is the "Grand Daddy of Them All". Take 4 minutes and watch it. Your day will be better for it. This is the IMS official youtube channel so the quality is topnotch.

I just watched a rerun a couple of weeks ago of that one and the one that Danica almost won.

NASCAR's FB page is currently hosting a watch party for the 2001 Homestead race; Bill Elliott ends his winless drought....

This thread brings to mind the old days of taping races on the VCR and starting every conversation (until I got a chance to watch it) with DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE RACE!!!!!!!!!!
On that note...…......……. DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread brings to mind the old days of taping races on the VCR and starting every conversation (until I got a chance to watch it) with DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE RACE!!!!!!!!!!
On that note...…......……. DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Petty won again. :p

1995 Indy 500

Penske DNQ's one year after dominating both this race and the Indycar season. The nasty first lap wreck that ended Stan Fox's career. The Andretti curse continues and Scott Goodyear gets penalized for passing the pace car on the final restart handing the win to Jacques Villeneuve. Most of all this was last Indy 500 before the split.

Just got done watching the 2003 dodge dealers 400 from Darlington.

Some things just seem strange now. Non digital dashboards, sheetmetal dashboards, catch can man, single file restarts

Maybe it's just me, but man I sure liked these cars before be slammed them to the ground and scienced the crap out of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The 1990 AC Spark Plug 500
- Darrell Waltrip and Dave Marcis both do first lap driver changes as a result of suffering broken legs in a Pepsi 400 practice accident two weeks prior. The blatant toughness is simply something you don't see today. You can hear the crowd roar when DW is helped out of the car. The amount of pain DW had to be in (his break was worse than Dave's) had to be immense. But the points were simply THAT valuable.
- Car names! Harry Gant's Alf car was really famous around this time.

1990 Goodwrench 500 at Rockingham
- Kyle Petty absolutely cleans up! Based on inflation this victory is one of the most lucrative in NASCAR history due to Kyle winning several contingency awards at the time. Towards the end of the race Felix Sabates tells Dr. Punch he estimated total winnings of about $850k after sponsor bonuses. Sabates ultimately paid off Petty's recently purchased Rolls-Royce.
- Dr. Punch also mentions that Felix Sabates, (a Cuban Refugee) was once an extra in a movie. He was paid $50 to drive a car 100 yards into a concrete wall which resulted in a two week hospital stay. These little stories from back in the day are awesome!
- There's an interesting factoid about last place finisher J.T. Hayes (only career start) too. I'll let you folks google that one....

Last edited:
NASCAR on Fox's FB page highlighted this one today.

32 years ago today, 3/27/88, Lake Speed captured his first and only Winston Cup win; The TranSouth 500 at Darlington. After a sluggish start to the season, a 4th place here would really jump start Bill Elliott's championship run....

I didn't see if they were mentioned, but 2011 and 2012 Sonoma races were good. (Kurt Busch fans!)

Man watching these old races I think we all forget how bulletproof cars are now. Just watched one were someone broke a camshaft. A camshaft? When's the last time you heard that?

Some many of these races seemed like more of a war of attrition than anything. Blown motors, transmission failures, power steering failures, brake issue......

Man watching these old races I think we all forget how bulletproof cars are now. Just watched one were someone broke a camshaft. A camshaft? When's the last time you heard that?

Some many of these races seemed like more of a war of attrition than anything. Blown motors, transmission failures, power steering failures, brake issue......

It’s incredible isn’t it. It’s the only reason I’m not totally against the “new package”. The engineering improvements in racing have gotten to the point where we can reliably hit 220 with 750 HP and a small spoiler at Michigan and 202 at Charlotte.

I will say it’s the biggest change IMO Toyota and Honda have brought to the car world is how they’ve dominated with reliability. It really kicked everyone in Germany and America’s butt so the last 10 years have seen great strides in automotive improvement out of those two nations

Starting this one right now after finishing the previous race at Riverside (did you know during that Riverside race Rick Hendrick said Paul Newman was going to race for HMS at Watkins Glen?)

Back
Top Bottom