Old School Racing

Yogisd1

Resident Retard
What follows in this video, is, for me, a perfect example of what old school racing is all about. I realize that many of you will not agree with me, and that is a good thing. This is the kind of racing that keeps me coming back for more. This was the Saturday night race at Irwindale speedway last weekend. We also went to the race in Bakersfield on Sunday night. I gave up watching the Homestead races, so I could see these two races. I made the right choice for me. Let me know what you think, because there are no wrong answers, or bad opinions. Enjoy.

Needs more dirt.
This series is all asphalt, but most of these drivers race dirt too. It would be nice to see a series that had both. They had a heck of a time coming up with a formula that made the 360's and 410's competitive with each other, but they made it happen. I would like to see some dirt tracks worked in there, but as usual it would take time. There is always hope, no matter how small. By the way, the driver that was hurt is Davy Hamilton Jr. He got his first K&N west start about a month ago. He was going to compete full time next year. I hope that the crash doesn't set him back too bad. He broke his back, and left leg in that crash. They say he will make a full recovery, and I hope they are right.

IMO, there isn't a need for the pavement sprint series like King of the Wing, Auto Value Super Sprints and Must See Racing to do any dirt races at all. Pavement sprint car racing seems to be somewhat of a dying thing already... They all run relatively short schedules, often have a hard time drawing large fields. I went to two 410 sprint races on pavement this year, Auto Value Super Sprints at Kalamazoo, and Must See Racing at Hickory, Kalamazoo had about 12 cars, Hickory had 15 or 16.
There are plenty of 410 sprint car races on dirt, no need to take the pavement sprints and do that. WoO has 90 races next year, ASCOC has 50, there is also King of the West 410s in Cali, IRA 410s in Wisconsin and MOWA 410s in the midwest along with a bunch of tracks in Pennsylvania, Ohio along with Knoxville running 410s on dirt!
I wouldn't mind seeing the WoO try a couple of races on pavement per year.
I've looked at the series history before, and they have tried it a few times. Would be cool to see them bring that back every once in a while. Though most dirt fans that I talk to just seem to talk smack about asphalt racing, so maybe it wouldn't get the best fan support... IDK

They had twenty nine cars for both shows that weekend. There is a market for them out here, but there are no weekly shows. There are many dirt sprints within two hours of where I live. They don't have a problem getting crowds. These two races are quite a distance for me to go to. It took 9 hours to go to Irwindale, and Bakersfield is 4 hours away, but for me it was worth it. I would like to see some super mods run, but they are non existent out here. I hear they are still popular back east around Lake Oswego. I'd like to check that out someday. There just isn't any open wheel pavement racing out here, but when it comes around, they get pretty good crowds. When they put on shows like this, what is not to like.

They had twenty nine cars for both shows that weekend. There is a market for them out here, but there are no weekly shows. There are many dirt sprints within two hours of where I live. They don't have a problem getting crowds. These two races are quite a distance for me to go to. It took 9 hours to go to Irwindale, and Bakersfield is 4 hours away, but for me it was worth it. I would like to see some super mods run, but they are non existent out here. I hear they are still popular back east around Lake Oswego. I'd like to check that out someday. There just isn't any open wheel pavement racing out here, but when it comes around, they get pretty good crowds. When they put on shows like this, what is not to like.

King of the Wing does get the best car counts of the 3 biggest pavement sprint series in general. Someone mentioned dirt earlier in the thread. I'd say leave the pavement sprints on pavement since they are a dying breed as it is. King of the Wing only runs about 10 races or so. Its a shame Irwindale is going away, such a nice facility and they put on a lot of great shows...
Anyway, you mentioned supermodifieds, Oswego is still doing their weekly racing series with non-wing supermodieds and there is the touring ISMA series with the winged cars. Out west there is a little bit of supermodified racing. They race at Madera Speedway in California.

They haven't been to Madera in two years. When they did run, the biggest field was five cars. They had to let the sprints run with them to get enough to have a main event. I've heard about the ISMA series but they don't come anyplace near here, I don't think. King of the wing looks to be slowly dying because the new owners want too much money for them to show up. They are down to one track in California, Kern County Raceway Park. Stockton and Madera, cancelled their races, because they couldn't agree on money. It's discouraging to have a series that was really good, ruined by a bunch of greedy people. If that goes down, all we will have left are exhibition races with vintage supers.

They haven't been to Madera in two years. When they did run, the biggest field was five cars. They had to let the sprints run with them to get enough to have a main event. I've heard about the ISMA series but they don't come anyplace near here, I don't think. King of the wing looks to be slowly dying because the new owners want too much money for them to show up. They are down to one track in California, Kern County Raceway Park. Stockton and Madera, cancelled their races, because they couldn't agree on money. It's discouraging to have a series that was really good, ruined by a bunch of greedy people. If that goes down, all we will have left are exhibition races with vintage supers.
They have had supermods at Madera this year:
http://cssracing.com/schedule.html
The series FB page has some pics from recent races. I can't say that they had good car counts though.

ISMA is a very regional series, i'm pretty sure that they don't go west of Ohio. They race at Sandusky, Oswego, Delaware Ontario, Thompson CT, and some some tracks in NH , probably a few others as well.

I think a track in Colorado (maybe Colorado National??) runs supermodifieds sometimes as well, but i'm not sure if thats still going on or not.
King of the Wing always cancels lots of races each year, thats nothing new. They also had a race scheduled in Wyoming this year that was cancelled. I think King of the Wing as well as the other major pavement sprint series (Auto Value Super Sprints and Must See Racing) are all kinda unstable. They don't have consistently strong fields or schedules, and the payouts are pretty low.
King of the Wing seems to be the strongest, but the schedule always goes through a lot of changes. The results I saw this year had good fields, last year when they went to the southeast they had some races with 14 or 15 cars... Would be nice to see the pavement sprints doing a little better.

Back
Top Bottom