oMg NASCAR on dirt! At Bristol

Haven’t thought about the track in Islip in a long time. It was often the site of the Demolition Derbies and Figure 8 races they showed on WW of Sports.

Does he think it’s a real track?

Kind of a reference to what KFB says about 'Dega....am I right? Working hard to make that stretch. An icon of the sport--and a voice of its past--feels the same as many on NASCAR's own radio channel. Post worthy I would say.

Eh Petty has some points, I don't think it is going backwards unless the start adding a bunch of dirt tracks and that isn't going to happen. Yeah he is right about dirt tech these days, it isn't old school dirt it does slick off and become like slick asphalt. Also interesting Petty won the last dirt race and he was two laps ahead of second. I wonder how long a two lap ahead victory would work these days.

A lot of the dirt tracks back then were just that ... not clay.

Huge difference.

Haven’t thought about the track in Islip in a long time. It was often the site of the Demolition Derbies and Figure 8 races they showed on WW of Sports.

Demo derby was invented at islip.

I'm not the biggest fan of short track Bristol getting replaced by dirt Bristol, but either way I'm open to this & will be hyped to see a lot of beating and banging.

A lot of NASCAR "fans" must have forgot the show that Eldora puts on every year until it was taken off this year............ Also Richard seems pretty out of touch, just like his race team.

I'm primarily a dirt fan, but I understand Petty's point of view. He lived through the process of NASCAR leaving behind the grass roots dirt tracks for larger paved speedways, and at the time the distinction was important to elevate the series into something more distinguished and "professional", as he says. He apparently hasn't kept up with how serious and professional dirt racing is now, but I don't expect him to have.

I just turned 42, but even I remember the mindset in the '80s when dirt tracks were being covered in asphalt because it was the future. Times have changed, and now top level dirt racing is as or more prestigious as top level short track pavement racing. With the cry for "more short tracks", this leaves NASCAR with a resurgent market of dirt racing that they are trying to tap into.

Well NASCAR has got me to bite. Got in line for a couple reserved seats for my son and I in the Earnhardt terrace. As a dirt fan I am interested in seeing this event, knowing full well that the cup cars won't be anything like watching the sprints or late models.

I went ahead and got the weekend package hoping that we may see the WOO or Lucas Oil guys tagging along. I haven't been to Bristol since I was a teenager about 20 years or so ago. I'm excited to go again and it will be my 7 year olds first NASCAR race.

Well NASCAR has got me to bite. Got in line for a couple reserved seats for my son and I in the Earnhardt terrace. As a dirt fan I am interested in seeing this event, knowing full well that the cup cars won't be anything like watching the sprints or late models.

I went ahead and got the weekend package hoping that we may see the WOO or Lucas Oil guys tagging along. I haven't been to Bristol since I was a teenager about 20 years or so ago. I'm excited to go again and it will be my 7 year olds first NASCAR race.

My son just reserved ours for the Earnhardt terrace as well. I personally can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom