On Track Repairs - A Suggestion

spindoc

Team Owner
I’ve always wondered why NASCAR teams use hammers to beat the fenders off the tires when the driver hits the wall. Why haven’t the teams come up with fender repair tools that fit in the wheel well and have a pneumatic pressure plate that has the shape of the original fender lip, kind of like a Hurst tool? If they designed a tool like that, they could press out the fender to original spec in a matter of seconds. Any reason why no one has developed such a tool?

My initial uneducated guess is such a tool could improve aerodynamics to the point where the repairs would be more beneficial to the car than the pre-wreck aerodynamics

Nascar isn't going to let that happen. In fact they went the other way when they curtailed the crash carts and the personnel that went with them 3 or 4 years ago. In addition they limit the time a car can be on pit road now for repairs I believe it is like 5 minutes, and if the damage is too large they have to go to the garage instead of repairing it on pit road, and initiated the minimum speed rule after repairs are made. If the car can't make minimum speed it is done for the day.

I’ve always wondered why NASCAR teams use hammers to beat the fenders off the tires when the driver hits the wall. Why haven’t the teams come up with fender repair tools that fit in the wheel well and have a pneumatic pressure plate that has the shape of the original fender lip, kind of like a Hurst tool? If they designed a tool like that, they could press out the fender to original spec in a matter of seconds. Any reason why no one has developed such a tool?

I hope this is something that never happens.

How many crewmen will be allowed over the wall after electrification?

4 Goodyear stickers and a fresh 900 pound battery.

Last edited:

Phase 1: Five Crew-Bots for starters. One GasBot and four TireBots. The TireBots foot will include a leg jack.

Phase 2: Pit Road speed limits abolished

Phase 3: Three CrewBots: A GasBot, and two TireBots with four arms each and the ability change both tires per side simultaneously.

Phase 4: CrateBots for cost control, teams and their expensive Custum built Bots....

Phase 5: Back to Open Unrestricted Bots due to the fans complaining.

Phase 6: Return to CrateBots due to fans complaining

Phase 7: Electronic Cars with the 900 batteries and rechargeable panels. FuelBots eliminated.

Phase 8: Recharging tunnels to make the rechargeable panels work during the night races.

Phase 9. Airless Tires eliminating all PitBots.

Phase 10: Airless tires banned due to fans throwing rocks at the rocks

Phase 11: Airless tires reinstated with tire wear memory. Computer control tires that respond to driver input. The tires will behave like old tires when abused, but can self restore to 'like new' if the driver input is smooth for 15 minutes. Tires also adapt to rain tires as needed. Phase 11a: TSD (Track surface on demand): Fans will use an APP that chooses the tracks abrasiveness and tire wear difficulty.

Phase12: FanBots to replace disenfranchised AntiBot Fans.

Phase 13: SecurityBots to protect all Bots from the fans who no longer watch and don't even care anymore. .....

Phase 20: To be announced by my replacement Bot.

Phase 1: Five Crew-Bots for starters. One GasBot and four TireBots. The TireBots foot will include a leg jack.

Phase 3: Three CrewBots: A GasBot, and two TireBots with four arms each and the ability change both tires per side simultaneously.

Phase 4: CrateBots for cost control, teams and their expensive Custum built Bots....

Phase 7: Electronic Cars with the 900 batteries and rechargeable panels. FuelBots eliminated.

Phase 8: Recharging tunnels to make the rechargeable panels work during the night races.

Phase 11: Airless tires reinstated with tire wear memory. Computer control tires that respond to driver input. The tires will behave like old tires when abused, but can self restore to 'like new' if the driver input is smooth for 15 minutes. Tires also adapt to rain tires as needed. Phase 11a: TSD (Track surface on demand): Fans will use an APP that chooses the tracks abrasiveness and tire wear difficulty.

Phase 13: SecurityBots to protect all Bots from the fans who no longer watch and don't even care anymore. .....

And in victory lane fembots

Pneumatic tools use compressed air, not electricity. The same air hose they use for the lug wrench. Can any insider advise on whether or not there are specific rules in the NASCAR rule book that would prohibit a pneumatic fender repair tool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pneumatic tools use compressed air, not electricity. The same air hose they use for the lug wrench.

I always wondered what pneu meant. Now I know.

Electrification of the car, not the lug wrench.

I always wondered what pneu meant. Now I know.

Electrification of the car, not the lug wrench.

I don’t think you will see mainstream electric NASCAR Cup Series vehicles on the track for many years, if ever. It goes entirely against the principles of what NASCAR was founded on.

Somewhere in that time line is the part where they put a grease pit under each box. The crews get in before the green, are covered by a grate with access panels, and then service the car from underneath. It eliminates the penalties for over the wall too soon and for equipment leaving the box.

I don’t think you will see mainstream electric NASCAR Cup Series vehicles on the track for many years, if ever. It goes entirely against the principles of what NASCAR was founded on.

You misunderstood ... it was a tongue-in-cheek post. I'm pretty much aware of the "principles" that auto racing was founded on.

I'd prefer not to wait until the water is up to my waist for electrification of the entire transportation fleet.

I don't think there is a machine that can spit out or repair carbon fiber fenders on demand :idunno:

They’re still using steel until the next gen car comes out in 2022.

The Gibbs team broke one of these out to cut away sheet metal. That lasted one race until Nascar nixed that from happening again. A fender fixing machine? don't think that would fly either.

STIHL launches lithium-ion powered TSA 230 cut-off machine
I remember getting aroused when they pulled that thing out. Definitely one of those things you can get away with once and shows up in the rule book the following Monday.

The future cars will be equipped with a tethered robot passenger that is mobil enough to perform small repairs while running laps.

I heard they were going with steam power. Steam hydro electric hybrid/thoroughbred with a bot driver and passenger in case the driver shorts out.

I think the
Bull ****.gif
is getting deep up in here! :lol2:

I heard they were going with steam power. Steam hydro electric hybrid/thoroughbred with a bot driver and passenger in case the driver shorts out.
That makes sense. By 2050 the cars will be nuclear powered like the submarines.

While many are resistant to battery, steam, and nuclear powered cars it is obvious that F1 is already running traditional wind-up power units that are similar to the toy cars we played with as children.

I haven't seen them fuel during a pit stop in years, and they have them spinners to get them started..
They probably wind them up about 50,000 times in just few seconds and they only have to run two hours.
1200px-Air_starter_GE_J79-11A_by_BMW.JPG

Don't forget the self driving cars racing each other.

If anything this seems like something they would first experiment with for a few years atleast, either in Arca or the truck series, or both. Who knows after that.

Back
Top Bottom