Once again, Tony gets in the headlights

H

HardScrabble

This is so trivial and pointless as to be laughable. However it made Jayski and therefore may spark some ridiculous debate and finger pointing.

I recall some years back, maybe the mid 80's, that Richard Petty was involved in some public highway brouhaha. Seems he was driving himself home from somewhere (Charlotte I think) and one of his fellow travelers did not clear the left lane for him. After some period Richard employed the bump and run to get himself up a spot. (now how many times have you wanted to do that). Nothing much ever came of it and it was barely talked about.

Hope this remains the same.

Ormond Beach police have started an internal investigation into the Feb. 9 traffic stop of NASCAR bad boy Tony Stewart. Police are investigating whether two officers involved in Stewart's early morning traffic stop let him off too easily because of his superstar status, Ormond Beach police spokesman Sgt. Mark Walker said. Stewart, the defending Winston Cup champion, was pulled over in a yellow Ferrari just before 1 a.m. Feb. 9 after Patrol Officer Anthony Zimmerer saw the car fly past him on the Granada Bridge, Walker said. Zimmerer said another passing vehicle prevented his radar from accurately clocking Stewart's speed, Walker said. Stewart was stopped by patrol officer Michael Bakaysa. Then he got a warning, rather than a ticket, from Zimmerer. Stewart's spokesman, Mike Arning, said Monday he could not confirm or deny reports that Stewart discussed the traffic stop on a local radio show Feb. 12

Sounds to me like the media is making a mountain out of a molehill because it's Tony.

If the cops couldn't read the radar gun, pulling him over and issuing a warning seems right to me.

I heard about Tony getting pulled over the day after it happened. Its old water now!! Wonder why it took Jayski so long to find out about it?

There was mention of the pull-over when it happened. The diff is that for whatever reason the deal has now allegedly become an issue with the police department.

That was kinda the point, it was over and no big deal. Now because a "name" is involved it is apparently being drug up again.

Well, I have to agree with TRL. If they couldn't read the radar, then they can only issue a warning. Otherwise, Tony could take it to court and have it thrown out. Water under the bridge, and that's where it should stay. Over, done with. :huh:

Actually, in my state, an officer does not need a "radar reading" to issue a traffic summons. They are trained enough that a "visual" will hold up as evidence. I found this out years ago. Even had a lawyer.

I don't condone a person doing 110 on a public highway but can't say I never did it either. Shame on me. Shame on anyone who does.

Go Tony!

Another trivial incident was when,years ago in the Carolinas,I think,Ricky Rudd was alleged to have been driving while 'impaired'.I remember this was worded in such a vague way.Never really heard much more about it---just seems it was mentioned once and forgot about.

Any info on this?Seems like it was maybe 8-10 years ago?

Back
Top Bottom