OT: "Elastic" pistons

N

NateDogg

Doesn't have anything todo with drag racing but interesting none the less.

I recently came across Elastic pistons, never heard of an elastic piston before. The piston is divided into two parts. The crown and the section the part that connects to the piston pin. The two parts are moving relatively to each other using a Belleville-type spring which stores dynamic energy at the of the ignition process where the connecting rod is in such a position (almost perpendicular to the horizontal plane) that we cannot gain any big amounts or torque. When the inclination of the conrod grows, then the spring gives its dynamic energy to the system. And this is the time when we want to have more energy, right?

Ford's Elastic Piston

This system should have some interesting effects on the thermodynamic cycle. It would instantly reduce the effective compression ratio at the time of detonation if the spring tension was set appropriately. Cylinder mass would obviously go up. It certanily isn't new, but I wondered if any prototypes have been built? and why they arn't used today?

I don't think that was one of Ford's better ideas, for all the reasons you cited...An instant drop in CR at the point of ignition would be a bad thing as would added mass and complexity and expense...but don't get any strange ideas and think I'm going to start wearing bowties because of this!!!!

FYI...just found out Larry is putting up his own web site. Here's a quote:

"Also just purchased and opened today a new major mega WebSite
will start uploading stuff on it next week

its not working yet , as its completely empty , but the new
website will be maxracesoftware.com

it will contain old and new software , tech articles, mpeg and audio files,
dyno, flowbench, and racecar pictures , etc.

i'll let you know when its up and functional"

Likewise, I'll pass on the info here...stay tuned. Good guy. Real smart.

Originally posted by Windsor377@May 2 2003, 07:10 PM
...but don't get any strange ideas and think I'm going to start wearing bowties because of this!!!!

hahaha

That is awsome news. Already got Larry's site bookmarked. What a great guy, can't wait for his stuff to be up :)

Looks like the elastic piston thing was one of those look good on paper ideas, haha. Interesting to look back on some of the suff they though up.

YEAH, we'd all be using nuclear powered flying cars by the year 2000!

hey! thats a great idea, I will wright it down on my napkin here. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom