Our new 5er

I have seen ones much shorter than the one in your pic, like a 24 foot box truck with a extension/platform for the 5th wheel. Very nice rigs.
Those are usually Topkicks. Basically take a pickup slide-in camper, stab it on a 4500/5500 cab-and-chassis, and turn the rest into the load deck. There are some longer, yes usually around 24 feet. But there are hard to come by due to manufacturing cost.

The trick is that anything with a "fifth wheel" on a "high capacity or commercial chassis" is legally an 18 wheeler tractor, which requires a CDL but has an unlimited wheelbase. HOWEVER, if it has full living quarters (IE, more than just a sleeper box), it is registered as a Recreational Vehicle. This removes the CDL requirement, however keeps the tractor definition. As a result, you end up with a ~40 foot long RV which only requires an airbrake endorsement to drive, towing up to a 53 foot trailer (or 48 in some states and/or 36 in some locales, accordingly). The length of the "tractor" "recreational vehicle" is only limited by when can pull into a truck stop without wiping out three 4-wheelers, a couple stop signs, the truck-stop sign, and a pedestrian or two. Which has been arbitrarily defined as about 90-95 feet or so

https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/publications/size_regs_final_rpt/index.htm#tts

fig2.gif

The minimum allowable length limit for the semitrailer in this combination is 14.63 m (48 feet) or the grandfathered limit for a particular State. (See discussion of Grandfathered Semitrailer Lengths on page 3.) A State may not impose an overall vehicle length limit on a truck tractor-semitrailer combination operating on the National Network or reasonable access routes, even if the trailer is longer than the minimum length required by Federal law (Figure 2). A State may not impose an overall length limit on a truck tractor pulling a single semitrailer or a limit on the distance between the axles of such a truck tractor.

A truck tractor is defined as a non-cargo-carrying power unit used in combination with a semitrailer. A truck that carries cargo on the same chassis as the power unit and cab, commonly known as a straight truck, is not subject to Federal regulations, but is subject only to State provisions. Likewise a straight truck towing a trailer or semitrailer is subject only to State vehicle length regulation, except that the total length of its two cargo-carrying units may not exceed a federally established limit of 65 feet. (See discussion of ISTEA "Freeze," on page 13.) The only instances where Federal regulations apply to a combination vehicle composed of a truck carrying cargo involve dromedaries, maxi-cube vehicles, and automobile and boat transporters, discussed later in this document.

Last edited:
Damn @dpkimmel2001 you sure that's only a 5er on the inside? Looks more like a 24 foot class A pusher to me.

What is the crow's nest for in the master? Small kids, cats, or storage?

@dpkimmel2001

I want to get into trailering...start with a pop up tent trailer. did you jump right into the 5th wheel or did you work your way up?
Any advice for an RVer on a budget?

EDIT:GREAT RIG!
Another idea besides a trailer, this rig is set up for covering lots of ground if a person wants to go many places and off the beaten paths. I have been following this young couple for a couple of years and they have been everywhere with this unique rig. Full timers.

Damn @dpkimmel2001 you sure that's only a 5er on the inside? Looks more like a 24 foot class A pusher to me.

What is the crow's nest for in the master? Small kids, cats, or storage?
Yes, it's amazing what they can do inside of these rv's these days.

That crow's nest/loft area could be for just about anything you'd like, It would have been dead space above the 1/2 batch on the lower level. They turned it into additional storage/sleeping/etc... Surprisingly it is capable of supporting up to 400lbs up there. I don't know what we'll use it for but no doubt my wife will find something for me to put up there.

Another idea besides a trailer, this rig is set up for covering lots of ground if a person wants to go many places and off the beaten paths. I have been following this young couple for a couple of years and they have been everywhere with this unique rig. Full timers.

Roger Richards lives out of a Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter van - the same tall/skinny vans used by UPS and Scoobies.

Roger Richards lives out of a Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter van - the same tall/skinny vans used by UPS and Scoobies.
He's a character all right. He looks and acts like he should be living under a mushroom in the forest. :D

Those Mercedes sprinter vans converted to a camper are really pretty nice inside.

What's the cost to rent the trailer out?:p

I could love in it.lol

That thing is gorgeous, dp. Hope you and the Misses enjoy the hell out of it.

What's the cost to rent the trailer out?:p

I could love in it.lol

That thing is gorgeous, dp. Hope you and the Misses enjoy the hell out of it.
Heading out next week for the first and last trip of the season with this new unit. Nights are getting into the 20's. Time to winterize and put it away until spring. We knew that going into this purchase that we wouldn't get much use out of it this year but we'll get an early jump next spring. This is the time of the year to get a great deal on a new RV. It's the slowest time of the year for dealers and they are looking for sales to take them through the winter.

Bee- U - Ti - Full setup DPK. Really a sharp combination and the exterior graphics sharp. The interior looks really classy and the layout is spectacular. Wishing you the best of luck with the new rig!! And a lot of fun filled times to store for future memories.

Some great advice offered in this thread. Two stick out and they are, buy what you can afford. That way, if you find out the r.v. life is not for you, the financial end won't bankrupt you. The other thing is, there is a serious depreciation once you drive off the dealer. It is more severe than being a new car or truck which is bad enough.
We have been the route from tent camping when we rode motorcycles to our last one, a Foretravel 320. We put over one hundred eleven thousand miles in twelve years on two class A motorhomes, selling our last one in 2002. I would like to have one again but the reality is, we enjoy our life here so much and travel differently now as we get older, preferring to fly whenever possible. All in all, the fun we had traveling in the r.v. lifestyle, including driving to nearly every NASCAR race for six years, is filled with great memories of people we met, places we visited and things we did.
So, go ahead Danicafan, give it a shot.

Back in the day I used to do that with our hay wagon. Never could get it mastered but I always got it done.
My grandfather could back one into the barn in one shot. Trails in the dirt from his wheels like a snake. AMAZING.

@dpkimmel2001 How did the shakedown trip in the new 5er go?
Everything went great with the exception of the weather. Rained the entire weekend with the exception of the 3-hour window that I had in order to cook some steaks & potatoes over the campfire on Saturday. We put most everything through its paces trying to find out anything that is wrong with the unit. Found two minor items that are going to have to be serviced. We have two years bumper to bumper warranty, so we're not in any hurry to get things resolved. We plan on winterizing this week, putting it to bed for the long winter. :(

Took the 5er to Philly for the weekend. Towed great. Fuel mileage sucked as usual. Going to drop the hitch down an inch or two to level it out better and not grab as much air. The Ford suspension is freaking awesome for hauling. I've got a special hitch on the 5er along with a beefed up trailer suspension that really helps with some of the lousy roads around these parts.
76554db63ea791826854232e4fc2231f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Scaled it as well yesterday to see exactly where I'm at. It's riding at 21,100lbs total. Everything scaled within the trucks specs so I know I'm running safe.

Took the 5er to Philly for the weekend. Towed great. Fuel mileage sucked as usual. Going to drop the hitch down an inch or two to level it out better and not grab as much air. The Ford suspension is freaking awesome for hauling. I've got a special hitch on the 5er along with a beefed up trailer suspension that really helps with some of the lousy roads around these parts.
76554db63ea791826854232e4fc2231f.jpg

That is one fine looking rig! If you drop the hitch down will you be OK on bed rail clearance? Some of the newer trucks sit up surprisingly high.

That is one fine looking rig! If you drop the hitch down will you be OK on bed rail clearance? Some of the newer trucks sit up surprisingly high.
He installed an air leveling system in it.

I have thought about the air leveling system for our rig. I am not fond of the Ford squat we get on our 450. How does the air leveling system affect the bed rail clearance?
Hell I guess that's what he installed. He'll be along soon to straighten me out. :D

Paging @dpkimmel2001 call on line one.

I was sitting @ 7 1/2" clearance. I wanted to be @ 6". Sure, it doesn't sound like much but don't tell the 'air' that. I was catching a lot of air with this trailer sitting higher in the front. So much so that it was trying to lift the rear of the bed mat up while I was traveling. That doesn't happen @ the 6" height. I just got back from testing this out. I headed up to I80 to get in a 70mph run. That's faster than I would normally travel while towing.

I do have air bags on this truck. I was running @ 40psi. I also dropped that down to 20psi. I really think that I could have gotten away with not installing the air bags on this F250. The suspension is much more stout than the GMC 2500HD that I used to have. I needed air bags with that truck so I figured I'd need them with this one. At 20psi & my hitch lowered by 1 1/2", it is a nice level ride.

The reason that the hitch was out of alignment compared to the old 5er is because this one has a special hitch system. It's called a MORryde System. I'll post a pic in a minute. You'll notice that it pushes the pin down a couple inches over what the stock pin would be.

I was sitting @ 7 1/2" clearance. I wanted to be @ 6". Sure, it doesn't sound like much but don't tell the 'air' that. I was catching a lot of air with this trailer sitting higher in the front. So much so that it was trying to lift the rear of the bed mat up while I was traveling. That doesn't happen @ the 6" height. I just got back from testing this out. I headed up to I80 to get in a 70mph run. That's faster than I would normally travel while towing.

I do have air bags on this truck. I was running @ 40psi. I also dropped that down to 20psi. I really think that I could have gotten away with not installing the air bags on this F250. The suspension is much more stout than the GMC 2500HD that I used to have. I needed air bags with that truck so I figured I'd need them with this one. At 20psi & my hitch lowered by 1 1/2", it is a nice level ride.

The reason that the hitch was out of alignment compared to the old 5er is because this one has a special hitch system. It's called a MORryde System. I'll post a pic in a minute. You'll notice that it pushes the pin down a couple inches over what the stock pin would be.
MORryde System. Dampens the effect of bad roads.

367b5a18602e3860896957ba6a1f2612.jpg

I'll pretend like I understand all of this. :booya:

I was going to ask with hitch balancer you use. Alot of racecar folks like to use the SHOCKER system.

shocker-air-receiver-hitch-profile-square.jpg

Gooseneck-Surge-4in-Round-Tube-for-Wallace-Forge-30K-Coupler-2.jpg

MORryde System. Dampens the effect of bad roads.

367b5a18602e3860896957ba6a1f2612.jpg

That is the same pin box we run, it is mated with a B&W hitch. Very happy with that setup. I see what you did with the air bags, makes sense. My mind wasn't working in reverse. :) I couldn't tell the clearance looking at the picture.

That is the same pin box we run, it is mated with a B&W hitch. Very happy with that setup. I see what you did with the air bags, makes sense. My mind wasn't working in reverse. :) I couldn't tell the clearance looking at the picture.
I'm running a Signature Series Draw Tite 18K Slider. Overkill but I like that I can easily remove it from the bed of the truck and use the truck as a truck when needed.

Apparently I accidently broke the jaw spring while adjusting the height yesterday. Not a huge deal but it makes for easier pinning if the trailer. Ordered another yesterday from etrailer. Supposed to be here tomorrow. Should only be a 10 minute install so I'll plan on 2 hours. :D

Back
Top Bottom