Patty Kat Is Ticked

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
Race Fans, Where’s the Love?
An Opinion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Patty Kay

July 3, 2006

Author’s note: this article is not written in anger or in meanness. Instead, it comes from confusion and astonishment that feelings such as you’ll read about even exist in the minds and hearts of folks that call themselves “race fans.”

I bid you welcome, gentle readers. No, this isn’t the Lady in Black. Due to a scheduling conflict, the Lady won’t be with you this week and what you see is my Friday column, which I won’t be able to do later in the week. The Lady did send a note for all of you though. She said to tell you that the National Anthem wouldn’t have passed even if it were graded on a curve. Bouffant Boris was on the point when the final Boogity flag of 2006 waved and after 160 laps, Stewpot won the battle and climbed the fence. In-between, it was a restrictor plate race. I think she felt that was explanation enough, as I’ve heard it rumored that she is not fond of four abreast parades that masquerade as races.

Ah, but that is not our topic today. Over the weekend, I was unfortunate enough to see first hand that unkind and hasty words can come from otherwise seemingly normal folks. Like many of you, I belong to a few forums or groups that key on racing, though most of them I seldom, if ever, visit. One of them, a Yahoo group, I’ve found to have some intelligent posters with knowledge of racing and I enjoy talking with most of them.

Late last week, word came from Daytona Beach that Brian and the boys are considering some “tweaking” of the Chase, as we know it, and that became the group’s immediate topic of conversation. Now, unless you’ve been stranded on a deserted island since 2004, you know my opinion of the Chase. It’s a contrived attempt to imitate the NFL that results in a “playoff” when there is no one to play off against and it makes a mockery of past Champions that actually earned their titles over a full season, not in just ten races.

If you don’t agree with that opinion, that is your constitutional right and I acknowledge that, so don’t bother writing to change my mind. Ain’t gonna happen! One poster and I managed to exchange some well thought out views and carry on a lengthy discussion on all parts of the “new” point system, what changes had been implemented and what had originally been proposed. We managed to find out that we were not so far apart in our thinking as he’d first imagined. As a “for instance,” I expressed distaste for the “Lucky Dog” rule, instituted when racing back to the flag under caution was mercifully outlawed in NASCAR racing.

Racing to the flag was a barbaric practice at best and was not seen in any other form of racing. I was ecstatic to see it go, but I’m still not a proponent of its successor. “Giving” a lap back does not exist in other forms of racing either; but I digress. I went on to say that if we must live with the Lucky Dog, then I see no sense at all in restarting double file with the lapped cars in the preferred groove. They have their Lucky Dog to rely on, so start them out behind the leaders and let the leaders race among themselves. On that point, we readily agreed. (For more opinions on the Chase that have not changed perceptibly in two years, follow the link to an article entitled, “NASCAR Doesn’t Love Me Any More".

Others joined in the conversation, but at some point there entered a poster we’ll only call “J.” Now, you have to understand… “J.” does not like me. Why, you ask? Well, it seems that I am old…and J. has no use for old folks. We somehow stand in the way of what he sees as progress, especially in NASCAR racing, and he resents mightily that someone saw fit to give this oldie but goodie column space on the Internet instead of him. His entrance into the conversation had to do with “cheap Internet opinion writers that are a dime a dozen,” and went unanswered.

The conversation however, did not stop, but somehow the topic changed from rules in the Chase to Earnhardt fans, (Perhaps because I am one) much as you’ve seen happen in a game of “rumor,” where something is whispered from one person to the next. By the time it gets back to the first person, it is unrecognizable. Maybe I’m the one who’s been living on that deserted island. Until Saturday evening, I didn’t know there was so much hatred lurking in the hearts of otherwise normal and intelligent people, much less in some that I call friends.

The argument raged all through Saturday night’s race and on into Sunday and was divided almost entirely along gender lines. It seems that according to many of the gentlemen (?) in the group, members of what they referred to as the “Earnhardt Nation” are all rude, crude, beer swilling, foul-mouthed southerners and should be barred from all tracks on sight. Several of the girls in the group are fans of Dale Junior and others, this one included, are fans of Dale Sr., but it seems that makes no difference. We are all to be tarred with the same broad brush and the picture they painted was not a pretty one. We, the fans of Dale Earnhardt, (Either one…take your pick) are disruptive to a fault. No one wants to be near us at a race, lest whatever we have might be contagious, I guess.

Baseless figures flew around, such as the claim that 9 out of 10 times, if someone is loud, abusive or foul-mouthed, he or she is wearing something bearing #8, #3 or a Rebel flag. (Yep…we can’t have any of those dang southerners being seen at the “new and improved” NASCAR) Several young ladies spoke up for Earnhardt fans, correctly pointing out that there are more of them than there are fans for any other driver(s). Even if only a small percentage is in some way out of line, it might be perceived as larger than it is, due to sheer volume.

That reasoning made no sense whatsoever to the gentlemen that so detest Earnhardt fans and by the time I happily ceased to read any more on Saturday night, they had obviously reduced at least one of the girls to tears and others were not far behind. Even the group owner, whom I know personally to be a kind and gentle soul, saw fit to enter into the fray, carefully explaining that he absolutely loves all of the Earnhardt fans in his group, so his comments were not directed at anyone there personally…but…he hates all the rest of the Earnhardt Nation, apparently without exception.

I also host groups, both Fantasy and Yahoo, and I’ll promise you that the comments made in this one would have brought immediate revocation of privileges to every person attacking another. The only rule in “Mama’s House” is, “Respect your housemates and their opinions, above all.” It’s a rule that was only broken once, in 2001, and the offender denied me the privilege of booting his butt by withdrawing immediately.

When we lost Dale, one would have thought the jealousy masquerading as hatred might have died with him, but one would be wrong. It has merely taken on a new guise, extending not only to his son and namesake, Dale Jr., but also to the entire fan base of both. Heck, after some of the slurs I read over the weekend, it probably extends to Kerry, Kelly, Teresa and Taylor as well.

Dear gentle readers, I’ve been to my share of races over the years, but I must have gone to all the wrong ones. Certainly, I can remember folks wearing shirts that boasted, “F.A.D.E.” (Fans Against Dale Earnhardt) Among those, I only met one person who was obnoxious about it, and he was seated right next to me in the Terrace Club at Pocono. Not only was I wearing black, which annoyed him when he was sober, but he deteriorated through the afternoon as he partook much too freely of the “open bar” and continually puffed a big fat cigar, the smoke from which was purposely sent in my direction. I watched much of that race standing at the back of the seats, which wasn’t too bad, as that’s where the buffet table was located.

What I haven’t seen and whom I haven’t met are these horrid folks wearing Earnhardt colors that are supposed to be a bane on the existence of all other race fans. When we’ve gone racing, we’ve met a host of great race fans and it never once mattered to any of us whose shirt or hat someone was wearing. Real race fans are there to see the race, absorb the sights, sounds and smells of racing and of course, to cheer for their favorite drivers.

If it bothers you that someone near you is not screaming for the same driver that you are, perhaps you should consider watching the race on TV. Every driver on the track has fans, even those back markers that fight so hard, just for a spot at the rear of the field. Someone loves them every bit as much as you love whomever it is that floats your boat and those folks are entitled to yell for their favorite every bit as much as you are. If there are more Earnhardt fans in the stands than fans for any other driver, get over it! They have the right of choice and are not in any way bound to march to your drummer. (Dang, that’s about one too many clichés)

As far as abusing any fan, simply because he or she proudly wears #3 or #8, your rights stop where that fan’s feelings begin. As old and mellow as I am, if I were at a racetrack and heard any of the garbage I’ve read this weekend directed at me, you very well might find out what foul-mouthed and ill-tempered southerners are all about. Since the conversation was limited to a place where I could simply not continue to listen (read) that was what I chose to do.

Folks, can’t we all just get along? One grows very weary of hearing the word “hate” dragged into every conversation about racing. Hate is a word depicting the most violent emotion of which a human being is capable. I’d like to think that even those that use the word don’t grasp the concept of what they’re saying, but I fear they do. I saw evidence this weekend that good people, when placed in a particular situation, can adopt a mob mentality that throws good sense to the wind and allows hate to become the dominating factor.

It matters little if you are a Gordon fan, an Earnhardt fan, a Martin fan, a Jarrett fan, a Harvick fan or anyone else’s fan and for dang sure, it doesn’t matter what make of car someone drives. What should matter is that you are a race fan. Supposedly, we all have that in common, but I’d suggest that if you call yourself a fan but hate the fans of another driver, you are not and never were a race fan. Pack up your hate and go find yourself a nice soccer game to watch. That’s the sport where the fans assault and sometimes kill each other, not stockcar racing.

Race fans, where’s the love?

Be well gentle readers, and remember to keep smiling. It looks so good on you!

Please enjoy a safe and sane Fourth of July. We want all of you back next week.

~Patty Kay

God bless our troops!

Soldier's Angels

Visit the website; support the troops; they’re depending on us.

You can contact Patty Kay at.. Insider Racing News

The thoughts and ideas expressed by this writer or any other writer on Insider Racing News, are not necessarily the views of the staff and/or management of IRN. Although we may not always agree with what is said, we do feel it's our duty to give a voice to those who have something relevant to say about the sport of auto racing.

You Can Read Other Articles By Patty Kay

Discuss this and other racing matters in the Prodigys@Speed Forum

She makes some good points. And, while I don't support Lil'E (as many of you may have guessed) I was a huge fan of his father. Perhaps it isn't fair to tar all the #8 fans with the same brush (FTR I seldom see obnoxious Dale Sr. fans) but if there are obnoxious fans they invariably are wearing #8 gear. They show no respect to any other group of fans so do they really expect to receive any respect. Earnhardt Nation needs to learn to control their own or put up with the wrath of others.

barelypure said:
FTR I seldom see obnoxious Dale Sr. fans
Very interesting. I guess that since you were a fan of Sr. you didn't notice it so much, but being an ABE, I saw and still see plenty of them. IMHO, it was those obnoxious Sr. fans who started the huge hatred for Jeff Gordon. It's funny though that since I was an ABE fan, I am now a fan of Jr. I don't consider myself obnoxious, but maybe that too is in the eye of the beholder. :)

barelypure said:
She makes some good points. And, while I don't support Lil'E (as many of you may have guessed) I was a huge fan of his father. Perhaps it isn't fair to tar all the #8 fans with the same brush (FTR I seldom see obnoxious Dale Sr. fans) but if there are obnoxious fans they invariably are wearing #8 gear. They show no respect to any other group of fans so do they really expect to receive any respect. Earnhardt Nation needs to learn to control their own or put up with the wrath of others.

I wonder were this sport would be with out "Earnhardt".

One thread calls Jr fans idiots, now this one says if there are obnoxious fans, they're wearing the #8.

Who would you guys bitch and whine about if there wasn't an Earnhardt?

I know know Dale's name would still pop up. It does now, over five years after his death. As soon as someone says something about Jimmie spinning someone out or Busch bump-drafting in a turn to wreck someone, the first thing you see is "Earnhardt did it!!!!"

What would the excuse be if Ralph, Dale or Dale, Jr wasn't around?

I don't have a problem with Jr. I think one day he might make a good stock car driver. But you have to be honest. A lot of his fans are obnoxious. I've seen fans want to fight just because he got spun out by whomever. To me, that's taking it a little too far. I usually blame Waltrip for everything anyway.

Back
Top Bottom