Petree Has a 500 sponser but no Driver

P

pettyfan4life

* Petree has Daytona 500 sponsor, now needs a driver UPDATE 3: NASCAR Winston Cup owner Andy Petree has secured a single-race sponsor for his #55 car in the Daytona 500. Andy Petree Racing, based in Henderson County, NC, has been scrambling in recent months to land a sponsorship after electrical distribution company Square D said it could no longer afford to run an entire schedule. The new sponsor's name will be announced after the new year. Petree now must find another driver for the #55 after Ken Schrader signed up Friday with the BAM Racing Dodge next year. Petree had been trying to line up Schrader to drive #55, APR general manager Steve Barkdoll said. "Schrader had the opportunity to drive the BAM car full time, so we told him to take it," Barkdoll said. First Petree was forced to lay off employees, now he's looking for investors for his team. Times are tough for Petree, still scrambling to keep his Winston Cup team afloat. After laying off 25 employees last month, Petree is hoping an outside investor can step in and keep things running. He has enough employees left to send Schrader to the Daytona 500, but more money will have to appear before he can plan for any more races.(ThatsRacin.com/AP)(12-22-2002)
UPDATE: hearing the sponsor will be Monaco Coaches, still no word on the driver.(12-24-2002)
UPDATE 2: Now that Ken Schrader has signed with [#49] BAM, Mike Wallace would be the logical choice to drive for Andy Petree in the Daytona 500. Sources close to Andy Petree Racing say that Monaco Coaches has signed to be the primary sponsor for Petree's #55 Chevy at Daytona and will remain with it as an associate throughout the year once major sponsorship has been found. Wallace had a solid 21st-place run for Petree last year at Daytona and will have the benefit of running the truck race for Schrader's team before the 500. Wallace, 43, also will continue to drive in the BGN in the #4 Biagi Brothers Racing Chevy, but the team is searching for sponsorship to compete beyond Biagi Brothers' 12-race commitment.(Sporting News)(12-30-2002)
UPDATE 3: been told the driver will not be Mike Wallace or Geoffrey Bodine and an announcement should be made soon on the driver.(1-3-2003

I would too but I aint over 18 he should try to get someone like Kyle Busch if he is old ebough now

Damn if he does i might see him cause ill be there

i sent a e-mail to petree.

my dad has raced agent and beat some of ya'll heros. the Folts, Andreties, Geens, Kinzer, swindel, and more

(yeah i know i miss spelled some of them)

Andy Petree "Hey Bobby"

Bobby Hamilton "Hey Andy"

Petree "So I noticed you don't have a ride for next season..."

Gill a holler to someone like boris said or someone that we know can race a little that wont wreck

I'd be surprised if he doesn't put Mike Wallace in the car again. But after hearing such announcements like Ken Schrader going to the Bamma-lamma-ding-dong Dodge and McMurray/Mears driving for Ganassi, I've learned anything can happen. Maybe it's time for Mike Borkowski or Scott Pruett to come back. hehe.

i sent mr petree a e-mail. all he has to do is ask mr AJ and he will tell him about my dad........well might not be good...dad calls him a ******* :p

Steve(n) Alexander

2 time AMA champ.
1000+ wins
raced in AMA, USAC, and indepent ieges

was trying to get a ride in the #49 car last year. but that did not go over.

he has raced with ppl that race INDY, USAC, NASCAR, OWNERS. but most are retired now.

Wow, that's very cool Lap3Forever. Have you raced at all yourself?

RPM....i am trying to get in to raceing but not having any luck.

Mopardh9 thats cool where did you see him race at?

You just need that elusive $, right Lap3Forever? If I win the lottery, I'll consider sponsoring your racing effort! lol. Hey, ya never know.

Hey Lap3Forever,

I was going to PM you, but your PM was full. I was going to email you, but you don't have your email accessible to the forum. So I will just post my message in here:

When you mentioned your father was in AMA, I knew I recognized the name. My brother likes some of the motorbike racing series and I think he watches AMA on TV, or maybe that's another series. But I did some research on your dad online, and think it's really cool how your father has been able to accomplish what he has in racing.

I also checked out your website, since I never noticed you have one. It looks like you race an ATV, it appears. I'd love to race something with wheels, anything, but that's just not going to happen any time soon.

That would be cool if you got into racing, though. I have a friend, Stuart Kirby, who is trying to get into racing right now, but the sponsor market seems dryer than dry right now.

If you ever get something started and want to fix up your website, or if you just want some help or advice on it, I'd be more than willing to lend a hand if I could. I've worked on websites for awhile now and don't mind helping where i can.

Lap 3 i'm pretty sure i saw your dad in a race that was aired on Speed. Not sure which one it was , but his name sounds very familiar. So does Stewart Kirby, did he race up in Busch for awhile?

Update:

thatsracin says that Petree will have Christian Fittapaldi driving in Daytona!:)

Mopardh9.....was it an old race? because if my recoreds are right his last race was in 1980. he got 2nd. he just showed at the track and this guy asked if he wanted to race. and he did.

It was one of those old races on speed that they have on in the morning. I honestly can't remember which one or the exact date.

Originally posted by majestyx
Update:  

thatsracin says that Petree will have Christian Fittapaldi driving in Daytona!:)

ohh well, we still got 35 more races to try to get a ride for.

Well thats good for Andy and CF. CF has a really good shotto qualify now. the APR cars always are good there and is higher in points than the 44 I think.

Lap3 e-mail speed and ask them for a copy of tape. Or if they have it archived dome where that you can get access. You guys ever do any racing out west in CO?

Originally posted by majestyx

Well at least we know the "Big One" will happen.

Heard that Ted Musgrave is slated for Petree ride anyone hear the same?

Well looks like CP is in 55 car at testing ....guess Musgrave going to Petree was only a rumor?

Back
Top Bottom