Phoenix Spring Pre-Race Thread

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
1709596929106.png

36 Cup entries for Phoenix. 15-Grala 16-Kraus
1709596798744.jpeg

Goodyear Fast Facts: Phoenix​

NASCAR Cup Series — Race No. 4 – 312 laps / 312 miles Phoenix Raceway (1.0-mile oval) – Avondale, Ariz.
Fast Facts for March 8-10, 2024

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Speedway Radials

Set limits: Cup: 3 sets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 9 sets for the race (8 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)

Tire Codes: Left-side — D-5208; Right-side — D-5210

Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,249 mm (88.54 in.); Right-side — 2,278 mm (89.69 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front — 14 psi; Left Rear — 14 psi; Right Front — 30 psi; Right Rear — 26 psi

Storyline – Goodyear introduces change to Phoenix tire set-up as the sport works on short track package: Since the Next Gen car was introduced for the 2022 NASCAR Cup season, the sport and its stakeholders have continued to make changes, updates and enhancements. For this week’s race at Phoenix Raceway, Goodyear will continue on a path it began at the race at Martinsville Speedway last October and at a test at Phoenix last December. The change Goodyear has brought forward is to increase the gage – or tread thickness – in its short track tire package. The thicker gage is designed to keep more heat in the tires on short tracks, which is designed to increase lap-time fall-off in order to bring tire management into play and make for even more competitive racing. In testing, drivers also gave feedback that the new tires have more “feel” and increase grip.

“We’ve been working on our tire set-up as the sport has made adjustments to the short track package with this Next Gen car,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “We first increased the gage in the Martinsville set-up last fall and that’s the direction we’re going for the other short tracks on the schedule. NASCAR held a test with six cars at Phoenix in December, which gave us another chance to get on the track and get feedback from the teams and drivers. That test went well from our perspective so we start this season with the new set-up at Phoenix and many other tracks.”

Notes – New tire set-up for Cup cars at Phoenix: Being on the 18-inch bead diameter tire, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the Xfinity Series at Phoenix this week . . . this is the first time Cup teams have run either of these two Goodyear tire codes . . . compared to what teams ran at Phoenix last season, both this left-side and right-side tire have more gage (tread thickness) . . . the increased gage helps keep some heat in the tire and give the cars more grip with this NASCAR short track package . . . Cup teams are also scheduled to run this same tire set-up at Gateway, New Hampshire and Richmond later this season . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars will not run inner liners in any of their tires.

Wet Weather Tires – Goodyear bringing wet weather tires to Phoenix: Goodyear will bring its 18-inch wet weather radial tires to Phoenix for the NASCAR Cup cars, should NASCAR determine that conditions warrant . . . Cup teams will have a maximum of 4 sets of wet weather tires for the event . . . NASCAR Cup teams last ran a wet weather tire in competition at the Chicago street course last July, and last ran it on a short track in the All-Star race at North Wilkesboro last May . . . in addition to the obvious difference of a tread pattern versus Goodyear’s dry weather “slick” tires, the “Goodyear” and “Eagle” lettering on the sidewalls of the wet weather tires is white, not the standard yellow.

New package. Championship race. Practice. New Fords and Toyotas. Lots to be interested in this weekend.

I like Phoenix, the races are just too short. Especially the last race of the season.

Agreed.

What they call a "500" at Phoenix isn't 500 miles (Daytona, Talladega, and Darlington) or even 500 laps (Bristol and Martinsville), but is instead 500 freakin' kilometers (312 laps/miles).

IMO, a championship race at that track would be better served if it was at least 400 laps/miles (approximately 650 kilometers).

Agreed.

What they call a "500" at Phoenix isn't 500 miles (Daytona, Talladega, and Darlington) or even 500 laps (Bristol and Martinsville), but is instead 500 freakin' kilometers (312 laps/miles).

IMO, a championship race at that track would be better served if it was at least 400 laps/miles (approximately 650 kilometers).
They ran a few "600s" at Phoneix geez at least 15 years ago now...more laps is not what Phoenix needs.

I think the biggest story I’m looking forward to is to see if Mr. Smith will break a toe-link for the third straight week! I’d imagine that’d be some kind of record. Plus, which pick-em player will get burned by it.

What was the last truly good race at Phoenix? Harvick vs Edwards 2016 is the most recent example I can think of.

I think the biggest story I’m looking forward to is to see if Mr. Smith will break a toe-link for the third straight week! I’d imagine that’d be some kind of record. Plus, which pick-em player will get burned by it.
Smith?

Agreed.

I've always thought we should have a "2 race finale" where we go from 12 to 4 (or 16 to 8) with the eliminator race being Martinsville. Then you have a 2 race championship at Miami & Phoenix where the car with the most points wins.

Anyone other than Blaney, Larson, Logano, or Byron going to win Sunday?

Hmm, I have a feeling we’re going to see a good race on Sunday. A lot of unknowns with the new short track package, new Goodyear tires, first race for Ford and Toyota new bodies on this kind of track. Should be interesting.

Thank you NASCAR for the rain......

Took the day off for Practice. Seriously. Question my sanity? I can see that. Question my loyalty? I get it. Question my ability to irritate? Ask my wife. Question my love for this sport. STFU.

I had no idea there was an 1 hr cup practice today or I would've made it a point to get off early and head that way. Used to be on top of that stuff but I'm that out of tune these days.

Took the day off for Practice. Seriously. Question my sanity? I can see that. Question my loyalty? I get it. Question my ability to irritate? Ask my wife. Question my love for this sport. STFU.
Hey Rev did you attend in person? I’ve been to one race at Phoenix years ago under the old configuration. Would love to go again but there are other tracks we need to visit. It’s a good venue worth putting on anyone’s bucket list.

Hey Rev did you attend in person? I’ve been to one race at Phoenix years ago under the old configuration. Would love to go again but there are other tracks we need to visit. It’s a good venue worth putting on anyone’s bucket list.
No man....but I was close to just going for it, and flying down there......All good, it will be ready for me in November. Love that place. Get there again man. So fan centered.

WE have rockets. LFG!

Back
Top Bottom