Pit Lane Speed Limiters and Pneumatic Jacks

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
Another NASCAR Radio topic.....Pit lane speed limiters and pneumatic jacks.....Yes/No?

Pit lane speed limiters have always made more sense to me. If we are doing speed limits in the name of safety, why are we messing around with gaming timing lines and whatnot? Isn’t the point NOT to make driving on pit lane competitive and dangerous? Gassing it up in/out of the box and jumping on the brakes before the next timing line never made much sense to me.

Yes / No

1. Actually we covered the first topic awhile back. The naysayers had all kinds of arguments against it.
A caller to TMD actually got in a couple of F-bombs when Bagface started poo-pooing the idea in a Moodyesque type manner.

2. Save the jackman!

whats next, indycar/f1 style 1 pump jacks?

Thats not very NASCAR like.
Pit road limiters?agree with SOI - takes skill away

No to pit road speed limiters, and I think they should have a random timing line or something that the drivers don't know about.

I don't think NASCAR should tell drivers exactly how they can game the system and "where it's okay to speed on pit road" by giving all the timing lines.

Timing line advantages were taken away years ago. Now it is pit stall selections after good qualifying runs

No on pit road speed limiters

I'd be ok with some form of onboard jacking system. From a safety standpoint a guy running out in front of a car carrying a jack is pretty dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

They could do away with impact drills and go to manual lug wrenches like the sprint cars use. When paired with a cheater bar Nascar could be sure the lug is absolutely tight before the car exits the pits.

It would also greatly excite the Gerbils as they blessed up with some new Gerbilations over how the tire changers torqued them lugs.

Cut the 5 mph cushion down to 2. That'll take a lot of gaming out.
I’ll admit I don’t understand this one. If the posted limit is 55 everyone just tries to maintain 60, so wouldn’t they just aim for 57 in that case?

No on pit road speed limiters

I'd be ok with some form of onboard jacking system. From a safety standpoint a guy running out in front of a car carrying a jack is pretty dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Jackman is a pretty dangerous position for sure, but they at least add an element of skill and choreography to pit stops. On the other hand, I can’t really find anything interesting about trying not to hit 60.01 MPH over a given zone. And guys trying to navigate cars, equipment, and personnel while looking at their revs all the way down pit road seems more dangerous than it’s worth.

We have gone from stock cars, to make believe stock cars, to IROC cars, that's enough change for me. Leave it up to the driver to do his well paid job.

Just my $2.00 worth, (used to be 2 cents) :idunno:

This is what it used to be like. Back then it was normal but when you put it up against what we do today its shocking.

This is what it used to be like. Back then it was normal but when you put it up against what we do today its shocking.

I remember one time at GPS during qualifying when a driver finished his lap and discovered he had no brakes after he returned to pit road. The area was crowded with crews getting their cars ready to qualify.

The driver snaked his way through the pits and almost made it to the exit to safely reenter the track but he hit one of the cars on jackstands on the way out. It broke a crew members leg( I think it was the leg, it happened in the mid 70s).

I still remember the moment I saw that car and knew he had a problem and it could have been much much worse lucky that no one was killed. I didn't want to admit it but for a few years after that it scared me everytime a car entered those crowded pits at GPS. At that time the entrance and exit were just cut out areas of the inside wall and it was a hard turn to get back on the track, there were no run off areas.
Everytime a car entered the pits I turned my head. I never wanted to see anything like that again.

I loved the no pit road speeds and especially the way it made short pitting a more realistic option. But I will trade all of that to prevent a pit road tragedy

Another thing that seems so strange is they just left the tire laying out on pit road after the stop

I remember one time at GPS during qualifying when a driver finished his lap and discovered he had no brakes after he returned to pit road. The area was crowded with crews getting their cars ready to qualify.

The driver snaked his way through the pits and almost made it to the exit to safely reenter the track but he hit one of the cars on jackstands on the way out. It broke a crew members leg( I think it was the leg, it happened in the mid 70s).

I still remember the moment I saw that car and knew he had a problem and it could have been much much worse lucky that no one was killed. I didn't want to admit it but for a few years after that it scared me everytime a car entered those crowded pits at GPS. At that time the entrance and exit were just cut out areas of the inside wall and it was a hard turn to get back on the track, there were no run off areas.
Everytime a car entered the pits I turned my head. I never wanted to see anything like that again.

I loved the no pit road speeds and especially the way it made short pitting a more realistic option. But I will trade all of that to prevent a pit road tragedy
I look back at some of the videos and it amazes me that we had very few injuries and deaths. It was insane in todays world but exhilarating back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom