Playoff Outlook

LouieLouie

Team Owner
Since we are now officially halfway through the "regular" season, I thought it might be interesting to see what the playoff outlook will be after each race.

This might not be sorted correctly at this point but here is how I did it and you can let me know if I'm doing it wrong because the system is kind of confusing.
1. Sort by number of wins
2. Sort by number of regular season points
3. Add Extra Bonus Playoff Points
4. Sort by Playoff Points

So i'm not sure if the win gets you ranked higher or if the win just gets you into the playoffs and the regular season points would make you higher ranked. i.e. Dillon has a win but only 263 pts. Does he end up higher than Harvick with 0 wins and 429 pts?

current rank driver, pts, behind leader, wins, stage wins, playoff pts, Bonus Playoff Pts, Total Playoff Points
1 Truex, Jr. Martin 545 LEADER 2 8 18 15 33
6 Johnson, Jimmie 414 -131 3 0 15 10 25
7 Keselowski, Brad 410 -135 2 2 12 8 20
2 Larson, Kyle 536 -9 1 2 7 7 14
14 Stenhouse, Jr. Ricky 299 -246 1 0 5 5 10
15 Newman, Ryan 299 -246 1 0 5 4 9
16 Busch, Kurt 291 -254 1 0 5 3 8
11 Logano, Joey 348 -197 1 1 1 6 7
21 Dillon, Austin 263 -282 1 0 5 2 7
3 Harvick, Kevin 429 -116 0 3 3 1 4
4 Busch, Kyle 416 -129 0 3 3 0 3
8 Elliott, Chase 398 -147 0 2 2 0 2
9 Hamlin, Denny 361 -184 0 2 2 0 2
12 Kenseth, Matt 327 -218 0 1 1 0 1
5 McMurray, Jamie 415 -130 0 0 0 0 0
10 Bowyer, Clint 349 -196 0 0 0 0 0

Also, if anyone knows how to upload an excel file or paste in a table, i'm all ears.

Pretty sure the ranking goes:
Number of wins
Season points
Stage wins
Playoff points
Bonus playoff points
If drivers are tied, the tie breaker is the next totals. I think that's the way it breaks down. Its gotten so confusing, that I don't think NASCAR knows how it works.

Its gotten so confusing, that I don't think NASCAR knows how it works, man you got that right! :lol2::lol2::lol2:

if anyone knows how to upload an excel file or paste in a table, i'm all ears.
Ctrl+PrintScreen to screenshot then paste into Paint and crop the part you want

Once you select what you want press Ctrl+X, Ctrl+N, N, Ctrl+V

I know it seems like the start of a cheat for unlimited guns in Grand theft auto or a mortal Kombat fatality lol but it basically will make it look like u want it to.. and pretty quickly.

Windows 8 or 10, use the 'Snipping Tool'. You can crop the screenshot within the tool itself, then paste straight into your post.

I can honestly say that I don't know how the points work. I think wins count, but points count from stage wins once the playoffs start as a bonus, but points from finishes only count towards making the chase err playoffs (whatever?) and then the stage wins count towards the bonus?

I can honestly say that I don't know how the points work. I think wins count, but points count from stage wins once the playoffs start as a bonus, but points from finishes only count towards making the chase err playoffs (whatever?) and then the stage wins count towards the bonus?
You are totally correct!!!!!! That's why I mentioned it was so screwed up.........

What the hell was wrong with the simple system we had.??????? Other than maybe giving the race winner a few more points..... The Latford system had worked excellent for decades..... it. worked perfectly through the age of growth that Nascar saw when Winston was sponsoring the series..... when Winston was forced out and Brian was annointed head cheese...... things slowly went to hell in a handbasket as far as I am concerned.....

IDK how the point system works and have no clue what a playoff point or stage point is or how they correlate to winning the last race lottery. Please don't take the time to try and explain it to me as I honestly don't care as I watch each race as a stand alone even that leads to nothing.

Oh my god...

My head started to hurt while making the attempt to figure all that out.

Here ya go from reddit

Attachments

• gbxbqbb46p1z.jpg
    gbxbqbb46p1z.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 203
Come on, guys. All this angst and wringing of hands about the complexity... It is much ado about nothing. Every sport has complexity in the standings and the playoffs. This only seems confusing because it's new and you haven't seen it in action. No doubt, NBC will keep you up to date every 10 minutes during every broadcast..:mad:

Imagine a visitor from Mars asks about NFL standings. Why is this 9-7 team in the playoff, but that 9-7 team is not? And what about that 11-5 team that is out, but another 8-8 team is in? You'll spend an hour at a chalkboard justifying conferences and divisions, than another hour on six levels of tiebreakers. What about the details of golf rankings or tennis or equestrian events? America's Cup sailing, anyone?

The Nascar championship format is a big improvement over last year, because it rewards excellence over the full schedule. It makes the regular season relevant again. Yes, it is more complex than it needs to be, but it's worth it, IMO.

Given a choice between (a) an elimination-style playoff that has big rewards for full-year excellence, and (b) an elimination-style playoff that ignores over 70% of the races... I'll take (a) in a heartbeat. That is the reality of this deal.

The playoff points aren't a bad idea if NASCAR fans would take a minute or two to actually read. I would rather see the stage format with a 30-32 season schedule and season long points format, but this is a big improvement.

Come on, guys. All this angst and wringing of hands about the complexity... It is much ado about nothing. Every sport has complexity in the standings and the playoffs. This only seems confusing because it's new and you haven't seen it in action. No doubt, NBC will keep you up to date every 10 minutes during every broadcast..:mad:

Imagine a visitor from Mars asks about NFL standings. Why is this 9-7 team in the playoff, but that 9-7 team is not? And what about that 11-5 team that is out, but another 8-8 team is in? You'll spend an hour at a chalkboard justifying conferences and divisions, than another hour on six levels of tiebreakers. What about the details of golf rankings or tennis or equestrian events? America's Cup sailing, anyone?

The Nascar championship format is a big improvement over last year, because it rewards excellence over the full schedule. It makes the regular season relevant again. Yes, it is more complex than it needs to be, but it's worth it, IMO.

Given a choice between (a) an elimination-style playoff that has big rewards for full-year excellence, and (b) an elimination-style playoff that ignores over 70% of the races... I'll take (a) in a heartbeat. That is the reality of this deal.

Explanation of playoffs in every major American sport:

If you win your division, you are in. A few other teams with the best records that didn't win their division make it as well.

No chalk board or hour-long explanation required. Try to explain this insane Nascar points system in two sentences.

I will leave it to others to discuss the complexity of Nascar's playoff system but understanding the NFL and NHL's playoff system is easier than falling in love.

The playoff points aren't a bad idea if NASCAR fans would take a minute or two to actually read. I would rather see the stage format with a 30-32 season schedule and season long points format, but this is a big improvement.

IMO the biggest thing that plagues Nascar's playoffs is apathy before complexity. Most of Nascar's fans are over 50 and remember the system that was in place prior to 2004 and liked it just fine regardless of whether it was a good system or not. My guess is if you polled the small group of fans Nascar has between 18-34 they would like the playoffs and other gimmicks Nascar has installed.

I do not respect the manner in which Nascar crowns a champion so it is not important to me to know what playoff or stage points mean. In the real world you pick up on some things by osmosis but seeing Nascar does not have a big presence in the real world and isn't spoken of around the water cooler or break table it is something you would have to care about in order to understand.

If you win your division, you are in. A few other teams with the best records that didn't win their division make it as well.

No chalk board or hour-long explanation required. Try to explain this insane Nascar points system in two sentences.

I agree 100% as Lew's assertion that the NFL playoffs were difficult to explain was a reach at best and a fabrication at worst, IMO.

The NFL’s system shouldn’t confuse anyone. If it does there's no doubt the networks will keep you up to date every 10 minutes during every broadcast.

The NFL’s system shouldn’t confuse anyone. If it does there's no doubt the networks will keep you up to date every 10 minutes during every broadcast.

Yep as if you can't figure it out yourself they have all the different scenarios on TV, print and online. IDK if this sort of thing is proprietary to Burton and Letarte but the NFL broadcasters never say "if the game were to end now the Packers would be in and the Vikes would be out" and you never hear of NFL teams punching their tickets to the playoffs.

If you win a race, you are in. A few other teams with the best records that didn't win a race make it as well.

Both statements are simple and true, but they both leave many unanswered questions... starting with, What is a division and why do they exist and who is in each one? Some people are OK with a simple overview from 40,000 feet. Others want to grasp championship implications of minute-by-minute performance. For the detail junkies (such as me) every sport is a labyrinth of formatting and special provisions. Embrace that, or ignore it, as you prefer.

IDK if this sort of thing is proprietary to Burton and Letarte but the NFL broadcasters never say "if the game were to end now the Packers would be in and the Vikes would be out" and you never hear of NFL teams punching their tickets to the playoffs.
That is crazy. Starting in NFL Week 2, you hear endless prattle about the championship odds of teams that fall to 0-2. Starting about Week 6, those clever graphics are shown with three columns... division leaders, wildcards, and "in the hunt." Perhaps you have a greater appetite for such stuff, being that you are a fan of NFL more than racing.

Broadcasters in almost all sports blabber on way too much about championship implications early in the season, IMO. It's a product of the over-saturation of sports programming in the 21st century.

If you win a race, you are in. A few other teams with the best records that didn't win a race make it as well.

Both statements are simple and true, but they both leave many unanswered questions... starting with, What is a division and why do they exist and who is in each one? Some people are OK with a simple overview from 40,000 feet. Others want to grasp championship implications of minute-by-minute performance. For the detail junkies (such as me) every sport is a labyrinth of formatting and special provisions. Embrace that, or ignore it, as you prefer.

The NHL and NFL playoffs are a breeze to understand as it all has to do with winning and losing. You don't get stage points for winning a period or a quarter and even though IDK what a playoff point is I know the NHL and NFL don't dole them out. I won't address the "division and why do they exist" comment as that sort of thing is self evident.

I totally understand being a detail junkie and that is where advance metrics enter the equation and they can be a useful tool in analyzing both individual and team performance. In all my years I have never known a person that gives a toss about a team or driver's minute by minute performance regarding playoffs. In fact most people dislike hearing tripe like "If the race ended now........"

The reason the NHL and NFL don't have to award points out during a game is because both leagues are confident enough that their product is entertaining enough to hold the viewer's attention. They don't feel the teams need motivation to give 100% so the games don't need to be broken down into sections for the sole purpose of awarding participation points.

That is crazy. Starting in NFL Week 2, you hear endless prattle about the championship odds of teams that fall to 0-2. Starting about Week 6, those clever graphics are shown with three columns... division leaders, wildcards, and "in the hunt." Perhaps you have a greater appetite for such stuff, being that you are a fan of NFL more than racing.

Broadcasters in almost all sports blabber on way too much about championship implications early in the season, IMO. It's a product of the over-saturation of sports programming in the 21st century.

Most of your post is hyperbole and I will leave it at that. I will say that the overwhelming majority of Football playoff talk occurs during pre and post game programs and in the NHL it is not necessary as teams are awarded points after each game and a cursory look at the standings reveal all you need to know.

Skoal, if you cared about the details in Nascar as much as you do in hockey and football, you would find them easy to grasp. I am quite confident in saying that. And if I cared about football as much as I do motor racing, I'd be more knowledgeable about football. As it is, I can't keep up with which team is in which league, much less which division. But that's OK, because I really don't care about it so much. BTW, I don't plan to post about my confusion in football forums today... but that's just me.

Skoal, if you cared about the details in Nascar as much as you do in hockey and football, you would find them easy to grasp. I am quite confident in saying that. And if I cared about football as much as I do motor racing, I'd be more knowledgeable about football. As it is, I can't keep up with which team is in which league, much less which division. But that's OK, because I really don't care about it so much. BTW, I don't plan to post about my confusion in football forums today... but that's just me.

I think that is fair as the more important something is to someone the more likely they are to immerse themselves in it and know about it. Championships in Nascar are no longer of importance to me and it has worked out well as I can watch each race as a one off occurrence that leads to nothing once the checkered flag flies. I don't have to concern myself with stage points or the playoff ramifications of a race and can pick and choose which races I want to see and not miss anything by skipping some.

Back
Top Bottom