Pocono Raceway Pre-Race Thread

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
1720540311757.png

37 Cup cars entered for Pocono. 15-Ware 16-Allmendinger 44-Yeley

1720540377561.jpeg

Goodyear Fast Facts — Pocono​

NASCAR Cup Series – Race No. 21 – 160 laps / 400 miles Pocono Raceway (2.5-mile triangle) – Long Pond, Pa.
Fast Facts for July 13-14, 2024

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Speedway Radials

Set limits: Cup – 1 set for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 7 sets for the race (6 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)

Tire Codes: Left-side — D-5186; Right-side — D-5222

Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,263 mm (89.09 in.); Right-side — 2,277 mm (89.65 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front — 20 psi; Left Rear — 22 psi; Right Front — 40 psi; Right Rear — 38 psi

Storyline – Cup teams face three times the challenges at Pocono: Pocono Raceway is unquestionably one of the most unique race tracks on the NASCAR circuit, challenging teams at every turn . . . all three of them. Teams must decide how to set up their cars — deferring to one corner of the track or compromising on all of them. The Pocono triangle has three distinct corners and three different straightaway lengths, along with a relative lack of banking and a bumpy track surface. Goodyear’s tire set-up is designed to give cars the grip they need while having a construction robust enough handle the track’s demands.

“While Pocono provides a multitude of challenges for Cup teams, one variable they can be comfortable with is our tire set-up,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “We have run this same combination four times already this season, so teams should have a good notebook built up. One thing teams tend to do at Pocono is use air pressure as a tuning tool to gain grip. Our engineers will work with them throughout the weekend to gauge tire performance
and ensure they are observing our minimum recommended pressures.”

Notes – Cup teams on popular tire set-up at Pocono: Being 18-inch bead diameter tires, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the NASCAR Xfinity and Craftsman Truck Series at Pocono this week . . . Cup teams are on the same left-side tire they ran at Pocono last season, with a different right-side tire (construction update) . . . they have run this combination of left- and right-side tires at Las Vegas, Texas, Kansas and Nashville already in 2024 . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars do not run inner liners in any of their tires.

The nerve of NASCAR, starting the race Friday so late, at a track with no lights!!!!
They must have their heads in the wrong place again.
You think they'd know by now.
What if it rains.
Hope there are no protesters.
Hope the prerace concert draws young people.
NBC will have crappy coverage.
Didn't sell out.
TV ratings were down.

These were some of the Chicago complaints from RF posts.
Good luck Tricky Triangle!

The nerve of NASCAR, starting the race Friday so late, at a track with no lights!!!!
They must have their heads in the wrong place again.
You think they'd know by now.
What if it rains.
Hope there are no protesters.
Hope the prerace concert draws young people.
NBC will have crappy coverage.
Didn't sell out.
TV ratings were down.

These were some of the Chicago complaints from RF posts.
Good luck Tricky Triangle!
In before
They should have known it was going to rain.

They should just build domes with retractable roofs over all these tracks! Problem solved!

Maybe my favorite track. No motor? Don't bother. No brakes? You are screwed. The Tunnel is brutal. Would hate to hit that in a street car. LFG!

IMO, don't get your panties in a wad, I think Pocono is the most treacherous track in the series. It's not a negative statement, it's fast and don't miss a turn treacherous.
I was watching a replay of last year's race....the Tunnel is so rough. Love it.

Turn 2 is modeled after Indy's turn ... 2? Regardless, it seems to be more challenging than the original for drivers across multiple series. I don't know why but I have no objections.

Turn 2 is modeled after Indy's turn ... 2? Regardless, it seems to be more challenging than the original for drivers across multiple series. I don't know why but I have no objections.
I would have to go with loosely modeled after Indy's turn 2. The pavement/grip level isn't close to Indy's diamond cut turn. banking probably is a bit different also. It's a plenty sharp turn though.

That Thursday race has Chase Brisco coming north of the border to challenge a good field on the dirt

That Thursday race has Chase Brisco coming north of the border to challenge a good field on the dirt
Yeah, I want to catch that race. It should be a good one. What little I have seen of Chase Briscoe on dirt I'm not that impressed though.
Last year Friesen and Kenny Schrader raced there, it was pretty good, they were competitive. Schrader won the race.

Schrader is a god. Kenny should be in the HOF for all he's done to spread the gospel of short track racing.
It was a hundred lap race on a super slick small dirt track using Pinty's cars. I could only imagine all of the trolliscious guff coming out of this place if they had access. I won't mention any names but you know who you are lol.

Lol I guess out of the pits and on restarts. I meant coming off turn two I think. If I remember they did shift and then around 2005 they stopped. Hopefully someone can fill in the details. 👍😁
They have an extra gear they didn't have in 2005?

Lol I guess out of the pits and on restarts. I meant coming off turn two I think. If I remember they did shift and then around 2005 they stopped. Hopefully someone can fill in the details. 👍😁
With this car they literally shift under green at every track

Kenny travels with confidence in his Miranda Rights - "If you did not bring a car, one will be provided for you."
It would be interesting to know if that was one of his cars or if he was driving somebodies. He fooled me. Schrader ran as low as fourth but mostly he ran in second place for most of the race. He had me believing he didn't have something for the leader. Patient guy, he had something for them in the closing laps.

I guess I'm the only one who members. They used to shift down going into turn two , Pocono was known as the the triangle that drove like a road course.
My answer meant if they were shifting with a 4 speed, they sure as heck will be shifting with 5. In years past Nascar had a fetish about shifting gears and they screwed with the rear gearing to try to prevent it. I think they had to give it up when they went to the 5 speed.

Bootie please check
<——— this Guy’s brakes once, twice, thrice. Got lucky once, can’t count on a second time.

Yes. Slightly less banking than Indy.
Turn one is modeled after Trenton and turn 3 is modeled after the Milwaukee Mile

Back
Top Bottom