Post-Earnhardt NASCAR

97forever

Team Owner
Face it:Love him or hate him old Dale Sr. really shook Nascar's top level series up.He impacted the series like few ever have before or after.

So where does that leave NASCAR without him?Is there a void that can't be filled?I am not an Earnhardt fan and never have been so I will ask his fans to give me a little insight on a few questions:

1.Can Jr. really 'replace' his dad in the hearts and minds of the fans?He is certainly a different type driver than Sr. was.Are a lot of Junior fans really just projecting their admiration for the man in black onto the man in red?What do you folks think?

2.A majority of the Earnhardt followers seem to dis-like Jeff Gordon.Why is that excactly?Do ya'll see Jeff as something of the anti-Earnhardt?Jeff is easily as good and will likely surpass Dale stat-wise in just a few years.And up until recently he was a much cleaner driver.

3.Shouldn't the number 3 eventually be reintroduced in NASCAR?Hard to trademark a number after all.The numbers 43,21,28 and 12 are all still used for instance.Opinions?

4.Finally,why don't you guys admit that Dale 'passed the torch' to Kurt Busch with that single finger salute at Daytona? :) Now those two would throw down on the last lap for sure!

Anyway,just a few questions for you folks.Even those that weren't fans still miss the old guy,I guess.

:cheers:

Originally posted by 97forever@Jun 22 2003, 09:31 AM
Face it:Love him or hate him old Dale Sr. really shook Nascar's top level series up.He impacted the series like few ever have before or after.

So where does that leave NASCAR without him?Is there a void that can't be filled?I am not an Earnhardt fan and never have been so I will ask his fans to give me a little insight on a few questions:

1.Can Jr. really 'replace' his dad in the hearts and minds of the fans?He is certainly a different type driver than Sr. was.Are a lot of Junior fans really just projecting their admiration for the man in black onto the man in red?What do you folks think?
2.A majority of the Earnhardt followers seem to dis-like Jeff Gordon.Why is that excactly?Do ya'll see Jeff as something of the anti-Earnhardt?Jeff is easily as good and will likely surpass Dale stat-wise in just a few years.And up until recently he was a much cleaner driver.
3.Shouldn't the number 3 eventually be reintroduced in NASCAR?Hard to trademark a number after all.The numbers 43,21,28 and 12 are all still used for instance.Opinions?
4.Finally,why don't you guys admit that Dale 'passed the torch' to Kurt Busch with that single finger salute at Daytona? :) Now those two would throw down on the last lap for sure!

Anyway,just a few questions for you folks.Even those that weren't fans still miss the old guy,I guess.

1. I don't think Jr. can replace him. A lot of Earnhardt fans are just cheering for Earnhardt Jr. because he's Earnhardt's son. A lot of Earnhardt Jr's fans were not fans of his father or not even watching NASCAR period at the time. This is one Earnhardt fan who doesn't pull for Earnhardt Jr.
2. Well in my case, I'll admit that it's very hard to watch Jeff come in and take over a sport Dale had dominated. But I didn't like his image, I always felt it wasn't the real him, which has been confirmed in the last year. Jeff may get more wins than Dale, but if he wins one more championship, I'd be surprised. I think he is passing the torch a lot earlier than everyone thought he would, and the young guys will win all the championships now.
3. The 43 is used by Richard Petty, so if RCR or DEI used the #3 I wouldn't be upset, just not someone who uses the number for publicity and personal greed. Plus, I'm not sure anyone would have the guts to use it it it was reintroduced because of the backlash from fans, and the constant media pressure.
4 :D .Kurt's a good one, but I'm going with Ryan Newman as the one to take over NASCAR.

Your answer to question two is one I completely agree with.The torch IS being passed as we speak.Gordon isn't washed up just yet,but his peak is behind him now.It will be interesting to see who picks it up and runs off with it.Newman,Busch,Kenseth all seem to be frontrunners.Some would add Jr. and Johnson to that list but I am not so sure about those two just yet.And that isn't even mentioning Stewart,who is destined to be a force for years to come.

1. Jr, is a good stop gap for a while i think. Most Sr. fans I know have just picked one DEI driver or RCR driver and became fans of them.

2. I don't like Gordon becuase he won way to much. I know thats hard to belive coming from an Earnhardt fan, but I didnt get into nascar utill '97 passed dales prime.

3. I think that there is sort of a number tradition by the Earnhardt family already. Ralph drove the 8, then jr did. Dale drove the 3, so jr's son should in my oppinon. And Kerry, well kerry just drives....

Originally posted by 97forever@Jun 22 2003, 09:31 AM

1. neither Jr nor anyone else can replace Dale, he was more than just a driver, he was the last "bridge" between the old Nascar and now. He also opened the door for the others drivers as far as marketing themselves and making good money away from the track.

2. I use to really dislike Gordon for the simple fact that he seemed to pure and too fake, not because he won so much...now he is much more likeable because he acts more normal and laid back(that brooke leash was pretty tight)....he got hooked up with a great team and great crew chief right from start and they gelled quick and kicked some butt..I think thats what bothers/ed alot of Earnhardt/Nascar fans..he was pretty much the first to do this(hook up with a great team instead of strugglin and/or payin his so called dues)<--but that seems to be the norm now....as far as stats go, i'm sure Jeff will pass Dale in many of them, but that that can also be attested to his quick start with a great team..stats are great, but i don't feel they tell the whole story of a driver...cleaner driver?..Gordon has alwways been aggressive( or dirty as you non bumpers call it.. ;) ..) its just more obvious now because over the last few years he hasn't been out in front as much as he was in the Ray years so he has to pass more cars, thus more contact..

3. I think the 3 should be retired, it was Dale's number and always will be...I also feel that the petty's should be able to retire the 43 when and if they ever stop using it..

4. yes they would throw down, but you expect anything less on the last lap?

and for me, missin the old guy is an understatement... :( ...just aint the same with out him, good thing I have alot of old stuff on tape!!.. :lol:

Originally posted by racer8@Jun 22 2003, 07:44 PM
Way to go Hooty3, That is pretty much how I feel about the whole thing.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
thankee and right back at ya.... :cheers:

1- Dale jr. will never replace Dale sr. Many Earnhardt fan went with Jr. thinking he could.
2- Jeff Gordon and Dale Sr. had a rivalry going there for a good while. Gordon fans grew to hate Earnhardt and old habits are hard to brake.
3- As long as RCR or DEI used the #3 it would be a great idea. But you want to put someone in it that could win.
4- Kurt is good. And if Dale was still here there may be another rivaalry going. Would be intersting.

I've never made the mistake of thinking Junior would take Dale's place as the alpha-male of NASCAR. In fact, I don't see anyone filling that role right now.

Not seeing the #3 on the track is painful. I would love to see that number return with either RCR or DEI.

Jeff Gordon? --- I don't dislike him, in fact, I admire his talents tremendously. I guess I was just turned off by the "slickness" he seemed to exude at every turn. He seemed much too "Hollywood" for me.

1. NO, Dale Jr will never replace Dale Sr. I will never pull for a driver like I pulled for "Ironhead". There will never be another Dale Earnhardt.

2. I knew for Dale to win a race he was going to beat that rainbow colored #24, and that didn't happen often.

3. I think all those numbers should have the option of being retired if the car owner so chooses.

4. It would be fun watching Dale rough up Kurt on the last lap of the Daytona 500 or the Brickyard 400.

Weather you loved him or hated him you always paid attention to where he was running because you knew he could be a factor at any race. :(

Back
Top Bottom