post per page/thread

S

SlowNeasy

i looked through the options but didn't see where i could change the default post per page/thread.. i want to change this to the max. i hate scrolling through a dozen (or more) pages on the same thread.

Currently, this is only a system-wide setting. I am not sure whether XenForo plans on implementing a per-user setting or not. In any case, I've just upped it from 20 to 40.

How much do y'all think is a good number of posts to load per page?

Currently, this is only a system-wide setting. I am not sure whether XenForo plans on implementing a per-user setting or not. In any case, I've just upped it from 20 to 40.

How much do y'all think is a good number of posts to load per page?

Let's leave it at 40 for a while. We need to run this new car around the block for a while to shake all the bugs out.

I personally hate scrolling through a long page I liked the 10 per page I had before.

I personally hate scrolling through a long page I liked the 10 per page I had before.

lol - i have seniority. <g>

seriously, everyone isn't going to be happy with whatever system wide setting is used. maybe a vote would be in order.

I've been reading about it a bit more. Apparently according to this thread - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/posts-per-page.943/ - it is a design decision (on purpose) for it to be a system-wide setting, for usability purposes and for search engine purposes. Having different posts-per-page counts makes a permanent link to a post impossible, as then for instance one person's page 3 would be another person's page 15, etc. That also messes with search engines, making Google have a hard time getting around, and making landing on the right spot from a Google search harder.

So, the fewer times we change the posts per page, the better, apparently.

I sure wish there was another answer - maybe another way to link to posts, and a way to have the option that wouldn't interfere with search engines and would work nicely between other people's per-page settings. I'm sure I'm about as likely to get an ideal solution as I am to get a unicorn that farts rainbows.

I'll keep on looking into this and if I can find an answer that suits everybody, I'll jump on it.

i read the thread and all the time i was wondering why they were even talking about page links. personally i'd think a search engine would link to the post number (permalink). post numbers don't change regardless of # of pages. then there's no problem that i can see.

Post numbers don't change, but the way the forum links to each post (in the date/time, or in the post number just to the left of the like button) is by linking to the page of the thread that it's on, so that the spider isn't constantly crawling another link for each post. That would waste a bunch of page views and bog down the server by going to each one - example.com/posts/482495, 482496, 482497, 482498 etc. and so on and so forth.

hmm, this is the first forum software i've used that didn't have the per user setting for posts per page. either other forum software is doing something wrong or xenforo should look into how they handle this problem. <g> nothing you can do about it that i can see though.

I personally was good with 20. 40 needs a "to the top" button on every post or something. Just takes too long to get to the next page navigation when trying to figure out where I left off on a thread.

Fortunately, there is a "Top" link at the bottom right corner of every page - across from the style chooser

Fortunately, there is a "Top" link at the bottom right corner of every page - across from the style chooser
doesn't help when i'm at page 20 of 40 and need to go to the next page. yes i know the smartass answer is the home/end keys.

Back
Top Bottom