Posting while at work

I'm not currently working, hopefully I can sooner than later.

No, whether working in retail or healthcare, there is no time to be online.
I like that Lisa........ not that there is no time....... or that you are currently unemployed........ but...... that you are are not screwing the pooch by being online when there is work to be done....... I applaud you for that........ :)

I like that Lisa........ not that there is no time....... or that you are currently unemployed........ but...... that you are are not screwing the pooch by being online when there is work to be done....... I applaud you for that........ :)

Well don't think too highly of me, my friend. When you are a home health aid, those clients tend to run the crap out of you, Lordy.

I'm lucky that I work for a small company that has a very easy going owner. It's not unusual when he's passing through town for him to take myself and the other guy in the office out for an extended lunch. He'll call me up during the day when he's taking long road trips and will talk football for 30 or 45 minutes just to help pass the time while he's traveling. All that said, he obviously doesn't get too worked up when people use their phones at work.

On the flip side, I go above and beyond what is expected of me. I've also put in numerous hours of work on my own time, so I don't feel terrible about using the phone occasionally while I have some downtime.

Well don't think too highly of me, my friend. When you are a home health aid, those clients tend to run the crap out of you, Lordy.
That makes me applaud you more..... I already realize the work load you are under. Not many folks could do the job you do. And I am not kidding........ Kudos to you and all your co-workers for how you help folks in need......

That makes me applaud you more..... I already realize the work load you are under. Not many folks could do the job you do. And I am not kidding........ Kudos to you and all your co-workers for how you help folks in need......

My mom always told me she could not do what I do for a living. I miss her.

I am glad to hear what everyone has posted here....... It sounds like everyone is very responsible in their posting.... no slackers.... (of course if there were slackers....... I guess they wouldn't admit it... LOL)...... It just made me wonder about folks posting habits as I saw most posts were made during the day when everyone should be working.

I provide the customer service that is so greatly missed. I do my job above and beyond anyone else here, that's why I'm #1.
I treat people like I wish to be treated. Nobody does that anymore.

Geez, I hope you didn't dislocate your shoulders patting yourself on the back so vigorously..

I usually work 4am to noon. Sometimes if it's slow at work I'll look or post some. Usually it's after I get home.

Once Internet access became widely available, I worked for three or four companies in engineering where I only went online to look up components and specifications. Was too busy otherwise to play on the Internet while at work, and didn't hardly do any Internet at home because the race car always needed attention.

The last job I had, however, ended up being 2nd level computer support for a large company. They had a group of us rotating 12 hour shifts, on 2 or 3 days then off 2 or 3 days, year-round. If everything was going well then there was a lot of down time. The boss didn't mind if we surfed the 'Net to stay awake. The customer once told me he didn't mind if we were on the 'Net because by doing that we found out quickly if they lost their connection - and got it working again before his employees started squawking. (His employees used a lot of work applications via the Internet so his business did need a working connection at all times... he probably had some who abused Internet privileges but that wasn't our concern.) So yeah I actually got paid indirectly for surfing the 'Net. I left that job some months ago because it was too boring - peppered with bursts of insanity if things broke down - and because the days on/off made me work a lot of weekends (interfering with racing).

Now I'm doing my own engineering stuff, and am back to mostly just using the 'Net to look up components and specifications. Once in a while I come back to this forum to see what's up, so if anybody wondered where I went that's what happened. The only bad thing is that I haven't gotten back to racing again yet (the team fell apart during my previous job since I couldn't devote adequate time).

I have been wondering for quite a while about this. How many of you post or stay on the internet all day while at work? It's really none of my business , but I have noticed the board is buzzing with posts all day long but as the work day winds down , they dwindle. I work from 7 till 5 most days..... some days longer and always get on the board after I get home from work. I realize there are several retired folks on the board that can get on anytime of the day. But the majority are younger folks who should be working during the day and are on the board constantly. I was just curious as to how they can justify holding a job that they were hired for..... to be productive and make their employer money when they are on the internet and cellphone all day long. Maybe I am looking at this all wrong but I see this as a problem.

I guess I was brought up in a different generation.

Good question and I suspect that people are on the Internet for personal reasons at work far longer than they think they are. It is just human nature to minimize the things we shouldn't be doing and maximize the things we should be doing.

So...... how do you justify being on here and various social media sites when you are at work and getting paid to do a specific job for your employer?

You don't feel any remorse that you are slacking on your job?

What do think your employer's thoughts would be on that?

I'm just trying to rationalize why it seems the younger generation are constantly on their cell phones instead of concentrating on the job they were hired to do...... I see it all the time in my workplace. They can't seem to put them down.... It's like a worse addiction than drugs....... It sure does make it hard on us older folks who just go into work and do our job....... We have to cover for all the younger slackers who can't seem to get off their phones.....
I have to cover for all the old geezers that can't hack it anymore, but they have their seniority protecting them..we all have problems

I have to cover for all the old geezers that can't hack it anymore, but they have their seniority protecting them..we all have problems

You should be banned permanently for a comment like that............:XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL::XXROFL:

Don't get too ****y there son........ just sit back and consider....... you are going to be one of those ''old geezers'' one of these days and there are gonna' be several young ****y asses saying the same thing about you. Just think about it........Life is really short..... Shorter than you can even imagine at 20 or 30......

Don't get too ****y there son........ just sit back and consider....... you are going to be one of those ''old geezers'' one of these days and there are gonna' be several young ****y asses saying the same thing about you. Just think about it........Life is really short..... Shorter than you can even imagine at 20 or 30......
You can dish it, but not take it, huh? You were the one who started off with the condescending posts. I go to work every day get my **** done plus more. So sick of the generalizations made by your generation against millennials.

You can dish it, but not take it, huh? You were the one who started off with the condescending posts. I go to work every day get my sh!t done plus more. So sick of the generalizations made by your generation against millennials.

There is good and bad across all generations and as I have said before I am grateful for all the fine young men and women in the service. I am also impressed with the entrepreneurial spirit with many youngsters too. There are also wastes of space that are lazy and have no practical skills. IDK how old you are or what your work ethic is but you sure seem angry.

You can dish it, but not take it, huh? You were the one who started off with the condescending posts. I go to work every day get my sh!t done plus more. So sick of the generalizations made by your generation against millennials.
Sorry you took my question as being condescending..... I was just wondering about all the posting during the work day when ..... as a rule of thumb.... a great amount of folks should be working instead of on the internet... I see that you have a thorn in your ass because you are having to support several ''old'' geezers that more than likely have put in their years to make sure that you have a job now so that you can bitch and moan about how hard you work.... Thanks for supporting what I thought.......;)

Sorry you took my question as being condescending..... I was just wondering about all the posting during the work day when ..... as a rule of thumb.... a great amount of folks should be working instead of on the internet... I see that you have a thorn in your ass because you are having to support several ''old'' geezers that more than likely have put in their years to make sure that you have a job now so that you can bitch and moan about how hard you work.... Thanks for supporting what I thought.......;)
More condescending BS.:rolleyes:

You see the world through your cynical eyes
You're a troubled young man I can tell
You've got it all in the palm of your hand
But your hand's wet with sweat and your head needs a rest

Sorry you feel that way...... but..... to each their own...... at any rate I appreciate your input..... :cheers:
I just feel like laziness isn't exclusive to any generation. Now, I've only been in the workforce 14 years, but I've seen people of all ages bust their ass . Just get frustrated seeing the younger generation always get singled out.

I just feel like laziness isn't exclusive to any generation. Now, I've only been in the workforce 14 years, but I've seen people of all ages bust their ass . Just get frustrated seeing the younger generation always get singled out.
All's good Bud....... ;) Like I said..... I appreciate your input..... input....... (either pro or con)..... was what I was looking for when I started this thread..... I knew going in that I wasn't going to make any friends....... it's a touchy subject......... and as a footnote to your post.... yes.... I have worked with a few young guys..... (1 mainly)..... that was balls to the wall all the time..... I mentored him for about 8 or 9 years.... he quit to go to another job last Sept. I will never ever be able to replace him.... good help is very hard to get...... no matter the age.

Back
Top Bottom