Pre-race - 107th Indianapolis 500

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Weather looks like crap today but hopefully they can get on track at some point.

IMG_1606.jpeg

IMG_1607.jpeg

I'm looking for that guy who is never fastest all week but is still in the top five. This often times is the 3rd qualifying spot. I'm looking for that guy to have a quiet month and put together in the race. That's how Helio, Sato and even Marcus did it. Save the dramatics for the last 10 laps and then ambush everyone.

Maybe I'm off a little in hoping to see Sato get his third, but he has the formula, the car and the team.

Weather looks much better for the next couple of days. Should be unaffected until perhaps late Friday.

Ericsson has had a good run of Swedish-themed or Ronnie Peterson-inspired helmets. This is another good one.

Settling in for a couple days of practice.
I hope Kat Legge makes the show and New gets the win.

Ericsson in stealth mode, but still really quick.

Right now the top 18 are at 230. When did they find all this speed? Dixon is running as fast than last year's pole speed and that's without the extra boost. We might be talking about new record this weekend if they can keep this up and have good conditions.

Penske has brought it this year… each of their guys showed in top 7 in “no tow” speeds. I like to look for that early when they show up here

And yeah, Dixon is just making speed look easy when he gets out there each year lol

Penske has brought it this year… each of their guys showed in top 7 in “no tow” speeds. I like to look for that early when they show up here

And yeah, Dixon is just making speed look easy when he gets out there each year lol
The record is like 236 or something and they are doing 235 right out of the box. With another 50hp and two days to dial the car in, that might fall.

Callum Illot has been awful today and they're already talking about getting a backup car ready. Abel Motorsports couldn't be happier, I'm sure.

Ericsson in stealth mode, but still really quick.

Right now the top 18 are at 230. When did they find all this speed? Dixon is running as fast than last year's pole speed and that's without the extra boost. We might be talking about new record this weekend if they can keep this up and have good conditions.
Those are trap speeds, it looks like they have a tailwind into turn 1? 237.2 is definitely high for no added boost. I can’t watch right now but following along a bit on social. Dixon’s top lap speed was a tow lap.

IMG_1609.jpeg

I'd be OK with a new track record coming this weekend if for no other reason that that I would never have to hear about the damn thing being from 1996 again.

All of the drivers who lost their lives at Indianapolis deserve our respect. Indianapolis is also a place that has inspired and provided life in many ways as well.
It is about this time every May that I think about 1973.

Art Pollard was killed practicing early in the month. Swede Savage had an awful wreck one of the most spectacular in the history of the race. Just a few seconds later a crew member ran out in front of one of the emergency vehicles responding to wreck and he was killed. Swede Savage died a few weeks later due to the injuries sustained from the wreck.

Gordon Johncock won the race but I have to believe he was a true warrior with the scars. He also won the 500 in 1982 in one the most classic epic battles ever with Rick Mears. The drive was wonderful and amazing as any Artwork that has ever been produced. Johncock's teammate Gordon Smiley was killed qualifying for the race.

I am not trying to be a downer I am just reflecting on some incredible unforgettable times that stay with you forever

I love the 500 it just an incredibile epic race. If the racing is in your blood you just know it is worth it all, and a passion that every racer has to pursue.

default.jpg
DhIY7N9WkAALL8a.jpg
p2853444059-3.jpg
3555377564_89c2b0222a.jpg

Unless there has been a more recent update this will be Tony Kanaan's last Indianapolis 500. It has been great watching TK through the years, hopefully this will be a good month of May for him.

I will go ahead and say without any apologies, I hope Scott Dixon has a great race just because I want to see a lot of Emma Dixon time on the camara.

She is such a stunningly beautiful woman.

2c7860ea2754cc1e79655b8c99c7fec4.jpg

(although its only 30 minutes into this session) Callum Ilott with a little more speed compared to yesterday… the #77 seems to be a little more comfortable in dirty air

Foyt might have sucked everywhere thus far but Indy is Indy and Ferrucci is fast. No one has to love him, but I respect him. He's out here with the big boys running fast laps.
Santino always runs well at Indy. He's just got to get in a good position and save the car for the final stint.

Penske drivers & Veekay are impressive on the first two days of ‘no tow’ speeds

Johnny Rutherford going to victory lane after winning the 1980 500.
That's Tim Richmond hitching a ride. Richmond had run out of gas on the last lap. Richmond was the rookie of the race.

et4ejt7a2fb51.jpg

I think we're about to see some outrageously fast laps after that from Kirkwood. Legitimately think we'll see a 236 today.

Back
Top Bottom