Pre-Race: 108th Indianapolis 500

The nice thing about the world we live in today.... I cancelled our Sat/Sun night Airbnb that was in Speedway for something MUCH nicer, larger, cheaper, and closer to Anderson for the Little 500. Plenty of outdoor space and a massive 70" TV for Monaco and the 600. We booked a hotel room a mile from our seats Monday night! We will drive to the hotel Monday AM, park there, then walk to/from the track.

It's a gamble with the weather but the new Airbnb cost is less than half of the original one in Speedway. With a 80% chance of rain all daylight hours on Sunday... I was willing to risk it. If I get burned and I have to drive to/from the track Sunday... that's ok.

When I was in my early 20’s Gary had a nice place in the country right down the road from where I lived. Him and I would have breakfast at the local cafe 3 or 4 times a week. He always supplied me with credentials to his garage during the month of May. Great guy.
Considering Gary got hurt, Merle lost and arm, Tony jr (plane crash traveling to race) died, and Tony sr got killed at the speedway, that could be racing's first family of bad luck.

Considering Gary got hurt, Merle lost and arm, Tony jr (plane crash traveling to race) died, and Tony sr got killed at the speedway, that could be racing's first family of bad luck.
I remember seeing an interview with Gary from the 90s about how there wouldn't be any more Bettenhausen men at the speedway during the documentary on Merle which Flo did. All I could think was "Couldn't your daughters have raced if they wanted to?" Alas.

I remember seeing an interview with Gary from the 90s about how there wouldn't be any more Bettenhausen men at the speedway during the documentary on Merle which Flo did. All I could think was "Couldn't your daughters have raced if they wanted to?" Alas.
Why anyone from the Battenhausen family would want to race after all the things that have happened to them is beyond me.

They’re going to do everything within their abilities to get this in on Sunday.

I started to get a little concerned about that until I just checked the tv stations at the hotel I'm at for another week and they have the USA channel. Yippee Ki Yay.:partytime

The nice thing about the world we live in today.... I cancelled our Sat/Sun night Airbnb that was in Speedway for something MUCH nicer, larger, cheaper, and closer to Anderson for the Little 500. Plenty of outdoor space and a massive 70" TV for Monaco and the 600. We booked a hotel room a mile from our seats Monday night! We will drive to the hotel Monday AM, park there, then walk to/from the track.

It's a gamble with the weather but the new Airbnb cost is less than half of the original one in Speedway. With a 80% chance of rain all daylight hours on Sunday... I was willing to risk it. If I get burned and I have to drive to/from the track Sunday... that's ok.

LOL this guy is a total dumbass.

Wait... ****...

I started to get a little concerned about that until I just checked the tv stations at the hotel I'm at for another week and they have the USA channel. Yippee Ki Yay.:partytime
I use to check with the hotels front desk about their channel lineups
before booking. I know your excitement.

Sweat it out yesterday but we are sticking with just staying with the Airbnb for today (at least...not the planned green flag). Everyone calling for certain rain hitting sometime between 12 and 12:30. It is severe weather and the IMS president said they will give the fans time to evacuate the stands and take shelter... not necessarily waiting just for rain.

We'll be monitoring for a late afternoon start but to me, those hopes seem optimistic.

So what do we think….they getting this race in today?

This doesn't look good for a 12:30 start. That front is moving due east.

1716733375079.png

Feeling good about our call.

Stressful last 2 hours lol.
Yea I’m trying to think what I’d be doing if I was there now. I would have gotten the extra day at the hotel for sure around Friday when I traveled in for it, so I’d be leaving Tuesday instead of Monday. I don’t think I would have left the hotel yet though to go to the track yet. Folks on Reddit are saying traffic is terrible because the track is about to evacuate fans due to the incoming nastiness

If the start gets delayed I hope the race will run tomorrow. I want to see Larson .
That is absolutely where I stand also. When I checked into my hotel last Thursday, I made my checkout for Monday, but I made another reservation to check back in on Monday just in case. But if they get both races in on Sunday then I can cancel my reservation and leave on Mon.

Back
Top Bottom