Pre Race: NASCAR Cup Championship

Exactly! Also he was robbed of two wins here with Ganassi by Ryan Newman in 2014 & 2017.
Anything can happen. For sure.

But Phoenix is in Larson's wheelhouse.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I wonder why people often suggest that drivers moving down a series or two is a good idea.

I wonder why people often suggest that drivers moving down a series or two is a good idea.
No shame in it.

Some still make a career out of it driving at the truck or Xfinity level. However, I feel as if its a way to give an idea of the pool of money Cup is working with.

Especially with the chartered entries getting a chunk of the shown purse.

Some people are happier being successful at a lower level than make more money running as a top-level 'also ran'. Some people find they're happier with the reduced pressures that come with stepping down to the side show.

A larger paycheck isn't worth it if you're spending the extra cash on Maalox and psychiatrist visits. An supporting series career may not get you a house on Lake Norman but I'll bet Allgaier and Crafton aren't hurting.

Agree. Racing is racing.

I was looking at the economics... the Truck purse is about 10% of the Cup prize.
Understood, I forgot how exactly how much of the TV money goes to the Cup Series. It's somewhere in the 90% range, I need to find a reliable source to backup what I'm saying.

With the steady increase in viewership in Xfinity and Truck Series, I think they will recieve a larger slice of the pie come contract time.

Taking the truck money and dividing it equally by 40 it is almost 23 thousand a team. Not knowing the cut for the places, the top 10 will make substantially more than that.
And then there is sponsor money, bonuses and contests

Agree. Racing is racing.

I was looking at the economics... the Truck purse is about 10% of the Cup prize.

True, but in the case of someone like Allgaier, I'm curious to know how much he earns running top 5 in Xfinity compared to 30th in Cup.

1636107644152.png

Goodyear Fast Facts – Phoenx​

NOVEMBER 2, 2021 AT 12:48 PM

NASCAR Cup Series — Race No. 36 – 312 laps / 312 miles
NASCAR Xfinity Series — Race No. 33 – 200 laps / 200 miles
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series – Race No. 22 – 150 laps / 150 miles
Phoenix Raceway (1.0-mile oval) – Avondale, Ariz.
Fast Facts for November 5-7, 2021
Tire:
Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials
Set limits: Cup: 3 sets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 9 sets for the race (8 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying); Xfinity: 6 sets for the event (maximum of 5 sets for the race); Truck: 6 sets for the event (maximum of 5 sets for the race)
Tire Codes: Left-side — D-4964; Right-side — D-4966
Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,218 mm (87.32 in.); Right-side — 2,244 mm (88.35 in.)
Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front — 14 psi; Left Rear — 14 psi; Right Front — 32 psi; Right Rear — 30 psi
Storyline – NASCAR crowns its champions at Phoenix as Cup comes to the end an era: NASCAR will crown champions in its three national series at Phoenix Raceway this weekend. In the Cup Series, the NASCAR package teams will be running is the high horsepower, low downforce package the series runs on short tracks. After switching to this package in March 2020, Goodyear adjusted its tread compounds for Phoenix giving the Cup cars more mechanical grip, to counter-balance the loss of aerodynamic grip. In addition to that, these compounds will wear more, bringing more fall-off in lap times. More fall-off leads to tire management coming into play, with drivers that are easier on their tires early in a run being faster at the end of a run. That phenomenon generally leads to more passing on the track.
One other note for the Cup Series – this race marks the end of an era for the 15-inch tire. Goodyear has run 15-inch tires since the beginning of its involvement in NASCAR, which dates back to the late 1950s. The tire maker will switch to 18-inch with the debut of the Next Gen Cup car next year (the Xfinity and Truck Series will remain on 15-inch), starting a new page in the history books.
“For the Cup Series this weekend, someone will go down as the last driver to win a championship on a 15-inch tire,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “Goodyear has done a lot of development on its 15-inch racing program over the last 60-plus years, including the move from bias ply to radials back in the late 1980s, and now we transition to 18-inch for the 2022 Cup season.”

Notes – Returning to Phoenix on established tire set-up: Teams in all three NASCAR national series will run the same tire set-up at Phoenix this week . . . this is the same combination of left- and right-side tires these teams began running at this track in 2020 . . . these teams have also run this tire set-up at Gateway (Trucks only), New Hampshire (Cup and Xfinity) and Richmond (all three series) over the last two seasons . . . as on most NASCAR ovals one mile or less in length, teams will not run liners in their tires at Phoenix.
— Goodyear Racing —

Could come down to the 19 or the 9.

Chase and Larson both looked really loose, the five looked worse. Not sure if anyone was watching practice, but Larson said that their previous run was better, but still not very good. Certainly didn't sound very confident and doesn't seem like the way to start the weekend imo

Chase and Larson both looked really loose, the five looked worse. Not sure if anyone was watching practice, but Larson said that their previous run was better, but still not very good. Certainly didn't sound very confident and doesn't seem like the way to start the weekend imo

I hate is when Larson is really loose but the five looks worse :)

If anyone watched Dennis’s press conference and still thinks he’s mentally focused and wants to bet on him…. I’ll take your money. 🤣

Do people think these guys are incapable of solving a small handling problem?

”We” wanted practice and got it. Isn’t it supposed to help?

And practiced ended with the 19 looking like dog****,Larson had grip and had the best 10 lap average. So idk wtf is going on lol

Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom