Priorities...

fergy1370

Team Owner
In between hearing about the IRS, Eric Holder, and Michael Jackson's kid trying to kill herself....remember.

934627_583088601731568_1107943147_n.jpg

My Dad and his two brothers all served in WW2, one of my uncles who I never got to meet died in Germany. I never forget June 6th D Day or December 7th 1941 pearl harbor.

My dad and his brothers, my moms brothers and most of their friends served in combat in World War Two, some made it home and some did not and I thank and admire them.

Growing up during WWII, I vividly recall ration books, shortages, bond drives, penny bank savings at school to buy bonds, scrap drives, collecting "milk pods" off plants to make life vests, etc.. How proud we were when my oldest sister enlisted in the WAVES. I recall seeing and understanding the little flags with the star, or stars, and the ones with the gold star, hanging in the window of the homes of people my family knew personally. Many of the those with gold stars were not just anyone; but they were the parents and wives of our friends. The old couple across the street whose son was killed and my Mother staying with them, trying to console them. My Mother, and Dad, who along with several men and women stood by the train track when the train stopped in our small town (900 population) loaded with soldiers going to Hoboken, NJ, to ship overseas. These townspeople were handing out hot coffee, fresh donuts and sandwiches.
The air raid drills in the night and the wardens walking the street making sure no lights could be seen and blackout shades were drawn.
I remember V-E day as I had never seen anything like it before, or since. We were in Albany, NY visiting my uncle when word came Germany had surrendered. Dad, my uncle and myself went downtown Albany by the New York State Capitol buildings and watched the craziness of people celebrating. People climbing on top of trolley cars and pulling the electric connector off so the trolley car stopped. Crazy! Just for the heckuvit, we went downtown the next morning and saw people lying in the street, passed out from too much drink while others sat on the curb holding their heads. No one cared. It was a holiday! D-Day was a success! The war in Europe was finally over!

http://www.google.com/search?q=End+...lL4u-0QHvmoHwCQ&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1475&bih=841

I'm older than most of you and that war gave me vivid recollections of a terrible time in our history and the little things that gave us relief. Some of the most beautiful, heart rendering songs came from that era. One young chap, fresh out of high school, became a pilot and served his time in Europe. When he returned to the U.S., he was sent to Fort Dix. He took his assigned aircraft one afternoon and buzzed the town he grew up in. When called on the carpet, legend has it he told his superior officer, he was just letting his high school sweetheart know he was back!

And then the war with Japan ended! Maybe, we thought, things would get back to normal.
http://www.ilind.net/2010/08/22/amazing-movie-of-vj-day-in-honolulu-1945/#sthash.BVmeOZaU.dpbs

Never, ever, forget those people or the acts of bravery, the sacrifices they made, the lives that were disrupted, of those who served.

Growing up during WWII, I vividly recall ration books, shortages, bond drives, penny bank savings at school to buy bonds, scrap drives, collecting "milk pods" off plants to make life vests, etc.. How proud we were when my oldest sister enlisted in the WAVES. I recall seeing and understanding the little flags with the star, or stars, and the ones with the gold star, hanging in the window of the homes of people my family knew personally. Many of the those with gold stars were not just anyone; but they were the parents and wives of our friends. The old couple across the street whose son was killed and my Mother staying with them, trying to console them. My Mother, and Dad, who along with several men and women stood by the train track when the train stopped in our small town (900 population) loaded with soldiers going to Hoboken, NJ, to ship overseas. These townspeople were handing out hot coffee, fresh donuts and sandwiches.
The air raid drills in the night and the wardens walking the street making sure no lights could be seen and blackout shades were drawn.
I remember V-E day as I had never seen anything like it before, or since. We were in Albany, NY visiting my uncle when word came Germany had surrendered. Dad, my uncle and myself went downtown Albany by the New York State Capitol buildings and watched the craziness of people celebrating. People climbing on top of trolley cars and pulling the electric connector off so the trolley car stopped. Crazy! Just for the heckuvit, we went downtown the next morning and saw people lying in the street, passed out from too much drink while others sat on the curb holding their heads. No one cared. It was a holiday! D-Day was a success! The war in Europe was finally over!

http://www.google.com/search?q=End of war in Europe celebration&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cy2zUa3lL4u-0QHvmoHwCQ&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1475&bih=841

I'm older than most of you and that war gave me vivid recollections of a terrible time in our history and the little things that gave us relief. Some of the most beautiful, heart rendering songs came from that era. One young chap, fresh out of high school, became a pilot and served his time in Europe. When he returned to the U.S., he was sent to Fort Dix. He took his assigned aircraft one afternoon and buzzed the town he grew up in. When called on the carpet, legend has it he told his superior officer, he was just letting his high school sweetheart know he was back!

And then the war with Japan ended! Maybe, we thought, things would get back to normal.
http://www.ilind.net/2010/08/22/amazing-movie-of-vj-day-in-honolulu-1945/#sthash.BVmeOZaU.dpbs

Never, ever, forget those people or the acts of bravery, the sacrifices they made, the lives that were disrupted, of those who served.

THIS is why I love you, you cantankerous old fart! Touching and heartfelt. Cool story! :cheers: (<---geritol)

Things like D-Day are why I get a little annoyed when I hear athletes refered to as warriors or heroes, by others or themselves. They are playing games. Yes, it is pretty amazing what some of them are able to overcome in terms of injuries and other adversities. But, in the end they are still playing a game. Young men who stormed beaches that day knowing damn well that they probably wouldn't make it are warriors and heroes. How can someone compare anything an athlete does to that?

Things like D-Day are why I get a little annoyed when I hear athletes refered to as warriors or heroes, by others or themselves. They are playing games. Yes, it is pretty amazing what some of them are able to overcome in terms of injuries and other adversities. But, in the end they are still playing a game. Young men who stormed beaches that day knowing damn well that they probably wouldn't make it are warriors and heroes. How can someone compare anything an athlete does to that?

Well said, Ben 1 !!!!!:headbang:

Back
Top Bottom