Team Owner
"Randy Moss arrested after pushing an officer with his car."

"Ray Lewis arrested for involvement in murder."

"Allen Iverson arrested after armed break-in."

"Nate Newton arrested for carrying 200lbs of marijuana--again."

ect,
ect,
ect.

I am really getting tired of "professional" athletes, who are getting paid millions of dollars each year and are suppose to be role models, getting locked up and getting special treatment. Moss, who was released today, had the original charges reduced to two misdemeanors. He wasn't even charged with the weed......

What gives these thugs the right to continue to live like they do? They go out, break the law, act like idiots, and walk away like nothing happend. They got away with it the first time, why should they worry about not getting away with it the next time they do something?

Why is it they can argue about only making $20 millon a year to play a game and I'm wondering if I have have enough money to take my wife out for a nice weekend? What gives them the right to make that kind of cash? And then have someone like Moss say something to the effect,"I only give 100% when I want to." When I go to work, I HAVE to give 100% or I get fired. Plus, my pay is regulated......I can only make 120 hours of overtime in a two week period. Why can't I have all the money I want? Do I need to get an agent? Show ME the money!!!

Sorry for the rant. It just pisses me off when I see "professional athletes" make the money they do and think they are better than they rest. Don't get me wrong, I know there are some good ones out there who actually remember where they come from. They give back to the community and to charities.....

But I really don't understand what makes someone worth millons and millons just because they play a game.

Originally posted by fergy1370
"Nate Newton arrested for carrying 200lbs of marijuana--again."
That's $1,280,000 spent right there on pot.

They make all that money because we pay them to play games.

It is what the market bears. I watch football, baseball, basketball (though not nearly as much as I used to) and they get paid because of it. But, I don't pay the outlandish ticket prices for the NFL. I used to go to a lot of Indians games, but I got priced right out of it. The only thing I will spend real money on is NASCAR tickets. And then I only go to Martinsville because the tickets are only like $45 a piece.

That's why professional sports is quickly getting on my "lack of interest" side. Collegiate sports is not that far behind too. What happened to all the pride honor that athletics used to instill in the participants? Sports (especially professional sports) is slowly (maybe not so slowly) being taken over by spoiled deadbeats who think the world owes them a free ride just because they think that they are so "wonderful". It appears that many fans and sports writers are more than willing to excuse them......guess their thinking is "well, if it weren't for Nate Newton what would become of the sport? Besides, it's just marijuana."

Haven't seen NASCAR (or any other major racing series) head off in that way.......yet! Hope it stays that way.

Thanks for the thread Fergy......been on my mind too.

:)

Thats what these pro's do. They make a fortune and blow it on crap. But they are what make it exciting on Sunday-Saturday for sports. And...To add, Professional Hockey players get PAID for going onto a rink and Getting into Fights. If one of those "fights" was out on a public street they would be put straight to jail. A pair of brawling hockey players isnt much of a role model to the young hockey fan...

Most of these guys are rags to riches story so they have no sense of responsibility. They have money to blow. They don't care what on. Of course we buy into it because they are "professionals". They have too much money and too much free time.

In all fairness to Allen Iverson...he was acquitted...and no further charges were brought against him.

I agree with everything else you wrote though except the part about "and are suppose to be role models" :)

I think Randy Moss is already a "HAS BEEN", and WAS over-rated. Someone should teach him a lesson, and hit him hard...and have BIG BRIAN URLACHER do it. Moss is the TARGET! Now we know who the antagonist is on the team between him and Culpepper.

I may get labelled a racist for what I am about to say, but that's OK. Small minds and all...

Many, NOT ALL, but many of these people come from very low income backgrounds. They grew up with dope dealers on every corner. Many have fathers and/or mothers in prison. The simple fact is, it is a way of life very few people outside these neighborhoods can fathom. Thank God, I never lived anywhere like that. My jobs have taken me into them, but to be there 24/7, with no alternative way out, frankly scares the crap out of me.

Enter athletics. For a chosen few, it is a way out. But you take someone who had thugs as family emmbers, role models, and sole surrounding influence and hand them millions of dollars. They are in no way equipped to handle something like that. They go back to the old neighborhood as a conquering hero. And there stands ______________, their best friend all through childhood. One thing leads to another, and there you have it.

I am in no way excusing the behavior of these people. I am simply trying to shed a little light into a world that most of us could never even start to conceive. They simply are not ready to effectively handle the sudden influx of cash beyond anything they ever dreamed possible. It is no excuse, but maybe it is something to consider when someone shells out $25,000,000 to a kid.

Put another way, how many of us, if handed $10,000,000, when we found ourselve thrust into a world very alien to us, would not commit social blunders? Before anyone jumps on that statement, no I am not calling what these athletes are accused of "social blunders". I'm just drawing a parallel here. Should I ever find myself in Beverly Hills as a resident with more money than I was able to count, you bet yer ass I'd stick out like a turd in a punch bowl. We all would. We all do what we know. Money does not come with any guarantee that the recipient will know how to handle it. That is not a license to commit crimes; only meant to be an observation.

I too am appalled at the behavior of SOME of these so-called professional athletes. Kinda puts what TS was accused of at Bristol in prespective though, doesn't it?

Hell what Tony has been through doesn't one bit compare to what these "THUGS" have done, and will do in the future. So that comparison is VOIDED! Tony hasn't one bit had anything to do with drugs or murder. And he don't flash his money around like these THUGS do.

I sure hope that THUGS like them aren't allowed in nascar in the Future, but time will tell. If they are they will hit the WALL HARD! But than again Thugs dont watch nascar.....ONLY US REDNECK HICKS DO!;)

IF you think sports are bad, take a look at the music industry these days...

You ever watch MTV's "Cribs"...all those young rappers and hip-hoppers
showing off homes that no one in their wildest dreams could ever
step foot in, let alone buy...all these 'one-hit wonders', flashes
in the pan that we'll all be reading about in five years, how they
had it all, then fell on hard times, and the story goes on....

I'll tell ya something though. I'd rather be a Redneck Hick than Thug......at least Redneck Hicks have Morals, and values...and appreciate there bathtub lawn ornaments.

what do you mean by thug?? be more specific

Look at celebrities "robert downy jr" he didn't come from the projects or anything but how many times has he been in trouble for drugs???

Also, I think it should be pointed out that not every athlete who comes from a terrible background turns into a thug. Witness Warrick Dunn. His mother was a single parent and a police officer who was killed while moonlighting as a security guard. Every Thanksgiving, Warrick gives away one or more homes, fully furnished and even stocks the fridge for a Thanksgiving dinner, to single mothers. Pretty cool. He is far from the only athlete to participate in such programs. Earnhardt did a lot for less fortunate folks, though his uprearing was hardly impoverished.

Just thought it ought to be said.

:bleh: I don't think there is a law that says sports figures are role models. Look at Mike Tyson,Tonya Harding Dennis Rodman. Dayel (spelling) Strawberry. Yeah I want my kids to grow up to be just like them. LOL

I would like to see their college GPA or their high school GPA for that matter. Also did any of them really graduate after getting a four year ride.

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
Also, I think it should be pointed out that not every athlete who comes from a terrible background turns into a thug.  Witness Warrick Dunn.  His mother was a single parent and a police officer who was killed while moonlighting as a security guard.  Every Thanksgiving, Warrick gives away one or more homes, fully furnished and even stocks the fridge for a Thanksgiving dinner, to single mothers.  Pretty cool.  He is far from the only athlete to participate in such programs.  Earnhardt did a lot for less fortunate folks, though his uprearing was hardly impoverished.  

Just thought it ought to be said.
But you have you ever noticed that all of Warrick Dunn's house's have only been given to people of the African-American race. I'm not racist or anything its just that I have noticed that through out the couple of years that he has done this. I think its great that he does it, but I think also he maybe a little biased.

(sings to the tune of Bob Marley)

We bannin...bannin till the bannin's through
We bannin...and I hope you like bannin too....

Some people just don't get it I guess.

Thanks Paul for the best racing discussions anywhere. You and your mods use discretion and fairness wisely. Great job all.

Back
Top Bottom