Question About Indycar "Push-To-Pass"

Discussion in 'Open Wheel Racing' started by Tumbleweed, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Team Owner

What exactly does "Push-To-Pass" do in Indycar? I've always just assumed that it is a shot of Nitrous. Is that true?

2. rd45usa

rd45usa Days gone past

3. DanicaFreak

DanicaFreak Green monster

The above link doesnt say what it actually is...

From 2016 but you get the idea.
    https://www.indycar.com/News/2015/12/12-15-Update-to-push-to-pass-for-2016

jws926, sdj and Charlie Spencer like this.
  4. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

I think it increases the turbo boost.

I didn't like the idea at first but with the difficulty with passing I think it adds to the show. Having a limited amount is also a good idea.

5. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

Well then, that would leave us (NASCAR) with allowing a nitrous bottle or two for the cup guys right? :whoopee::D Wouldn't that be a hell of a thing!! :owquitit:

6. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

I believe it had been tried by a team in the distant past. I don't think they checked w/NASCAR to see if it was OK.

7. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

JATO. Nuff said.

8. DUN24

DUN24 Skeptical of the Spectacle

For real?

9. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/333490-the-evolution-of-the-stock-car-1976-1979

"The 1976 Daytona 500 started out with NASCAR disallowing the speeds of the three fastest qualifiers for the Daytona 500, leaving unheralded Ramo Stott on the pole. A.J. Foyt, Darrell Waltrip, and Dave Marcis had to re-qualify for the race after NASCAR officials found evidence that Foyt and Waltrip used nitrous oxide (so-called laughing gas) to enhance the performance of the engines and add horsepower. "

Zerkfitting and DUN24 like this.
  10. kkfan91

kkfan91 Taking a 10-200

My favorite one is when Marty Robbins decided to take the restrictor plate off his engine

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  11. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

He said he want to see what it was like to run up front.

kkfan91 likes this.
  12. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Team Owner

It seems to me that PTP is superior to the DRS system that F1 uses. With PTP, the driver can activate it pretty much whenever he/she wants just by pushing a button.

In F1, I would think that a driver has enough to think about without having to keep track of whether or not they are in a DRS zone. And figuring whether or not they are within a second of the next car must be tricky as well.

Zerkfitting and gnomesayin like this.
  13. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

I agree. It gives a driver more options to manage.