Question About Indycar "Push-To-Pass"

The above link doesnt say what it actually is...

From 2016 but you get the idea.
https://www.indycar.com/News/2015/12/12-15-Update-to-push-to-pass-for-2016

Verizon IndyCar Series drivers will have more horsepower at their disposal when activating the push-to-pass overtake assist at road- and street-course races in the 2016 season.

INDYCAR announced that turbocharger boost pressure during push-to-pass use will increase from 160 kilopascals (kPa) in 2015 to 165 kPa, equating to a gain of approximately 20 horsepower in the Chevrolet and Honda 2.2-liter, twin-turbocharged V-6 engines. Normal boost pressure on road and street courses – before the overtake assist is engaged – remains at 150 kPa in 2016.

A total of approximately 60 added horsepower will now be available for push-to-pass activations during the 11 road- and street-course races in 2016, nearly doubling the on-track effect for passing over 2015.

“The Verizon IndyCar Series already boasts some of the most exciting racing anywhere,” said Jay Frye, INDYCAR President of Competition and Operations. “This technological update is part of INDYCAR’s ongoing initiative to enhance the overall level of competition and excitement even more. Increasing the available push-to-pass horsepower will make the system more robust and lead to additional overtaking opportunities on road and street circuits.”

Push-to-pass parameters – the number of pushes available and duration of each – will remain the same as in 2015.

According to Marvin Riley, INDYCAR Director of Engine Development, the push-to-pass boost pressure increase coincides with other 2016 engine updates through homologation that include the cylinder head ports and combustion chamber, fuel injectors, camshafts, pistons and connecting rods.

“These updates are part of continued open development in the manufacturer competition between Chevrolet and Honda,” Riley said, “but are also needed for performance and durability when you increase the peak power of an engine.”

I think it increases the turbo boost.

I didn't like the idea at first but with the difficulty with passing I think it adds to the show. Having a limited amount is also a good idea.

Well then, that would leave us (NASCAR) with allowing a nitrous bottle or two for the cup guys right? :whoopee::D Wouldn't that be a hell of a thing!! :owquitit:
I believe it had been tried by a team in the distant past. I don't think they checked w/NASCAR to see if it was OK.

For real?
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/333490-the-evolution-of-the-stock-car-1976-1979

"The 1976 Daytona 500 started out with NASCAR disallowing the speeds of the three fastest qualifiers for the Daytona 500, leaving unheralded Ramo Stott on the pole. A.J. Foyt, Darrell Waltrip, and Dave Marcis had to re-qualify for the race after NASCAR officials found evidence that Foyt and Waltrip used nitrous oxide (so-called laughing gas) to enhance the performance of the engines and add horsepower. "

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/333490-the-evolution-of-the-stock-car-1976-1979

"The 1976 Daytona 500 started out with NASCAR disallowing the speeds of the three fastest qualifiers for the Daytona 500, leaving unheralded Ramo Stott on the pole. A.J. Foyt, Darrell Waltrip, and Dave Marcis had to re-qualify for the race after NASCAR officials found evidence that Foyt and Waltrip used nitrous oxide (so-called laughing gas) to enhance the performance of the engines and add horsepower. "
My favorite one is when Marty Robbins decided to take the restrictor plate off his engine

It seems to me that PTP is superior to the DRS system that F1 uses. With PTP, the driver can activate it pretty much whenever he/she wants just by pushing a button.

In F1, I would think that a driver has enough to think about without having to keep track of whether or not they are in a DRS zone. And figuring whether or not they are within a second of the next car must be tricky as well.

It seems to me that PTP is superior to the DRS system that F1 uses. With PTP, the driver can activate it pretty much whenever he/she wants just by pushing a button.

In F1, I would think that a driver has enough to think about without having to keep track of whether or not they are in a DRS zone. And figuring whether or not they are within a second of the next car must be tricky as well.
I agree. It gives a driver more options to manage.

Back
Top Bottom