Race day electronics ideas...

Bob

Assistant Car Chief of Brake Fluid Dynamics
Wife's birthday is coming up. Thought I'd get her a headphone rig for race day. She'd probably enjoy listening to the basic radio broadcast of the race moreso than a lot of scannerland stuff from the individual teams, but the option to do that would be nice if I could pull off an all-in-one sort of deal. Can that be done through a phone app?

I an very ignorant about these things. If this has been discussed to death somewhere, apologies in advance and move thread as appropriate. Thanks

I
Wife's birthday is coming up. Thought I'd get her a headphone rig for race day. She'd probably enjoy listening to the basic radio broadcast of the race moreso than a lot of scannerland stuff from the individual teams, but the option to do that would be nice if I could pull off an all-in-one sort of deal. Can that be done through a phone app?

I an very ignorant about these things. If this has been discussed to death somewhere, apologies in advance and move thread as appropriate. Thanks
I have 2 of the RE3000 scanners and you can do either/or, or you can set it to the MRN broadcast and it will interrupt any time your chosen driver/team communicates. Once they're done with their transmission it will go back to the MRN broadcast. Well worth the money.

Thanks for the info, folks. I appreciate it. RE equipment seems to be well-regarded.

Slightly off topic....Anyone know why the TV broadcasts are not available on FanVision as they once were. I contacted RE, and they didn't even know what the hell I was talking about. I think we could get both TV audio and video if I am not mistaken. No more apparently.

Slightly off topic....Anyone know why the TV broadcasts are not available on FanVision as they once were. I contacted RE, and they didn't even know what the hell I was talking about. I think we could get both TV audio and video if I am not mistaken. No more apparently.
They were and still are routed from the tracks feed to their screens with their announcer. Sometimes they overlap using the networks feed. I don't remember it ever being a complete network feed. But I'm old and the memory aint what it used to be.

They were and still are routed from the tracks feed to their screens with their announcer. Sometimes they overlap using the networks feed. I don't remember it ever being a complete network feed. But I'm old and the memory aint what it used to be.

Yeah, that might have been, but I do believe that we used to get at least the TV audio. I am assuming that the TV audio is available via normal scanner?

Yeah, that might have been, but I do believe that we used to get at least the TV audio. I am assuming that the TV audio is available via normal scanner?
@dpkimmel2001 should know, he uses a scanner. I always use a Fanvision.

Yes, TV audio is available on a scanner. MRN and PRN use the same frequency, and it's been the same one for decades. TV networks work the same as the radio, with freqs that also haven't changed in years. You can also monitor the NASCAR race control feeds; they're handy for getting an idea how long a caution will last before they go green, who was penalized on pit road, etc.

Yes, TV audio is available on a scanner. MRN and PRN use the same frequency, and it's been the same one for decades. TV networks work the same as the radio, with freqs that also haven't changed in years. You can also monitor the NASCAR race control feeds; they're handy for getting an idea how long a caution will last before they go green, who was penalized on pit road, etc.

Wonder why the TV audio wouldn't be available on FanVision? MRN/PRN & Track announcer are the only options I think. Not a huge deal at the ovals, but was frustrating at Sonoma. Track video was silly, and radio struggles on a road course IMO. Video and audio are crucial at road course events of course because of complex strategies and limited viewing.

Revman's question was about the AUDIO feed from the TV broadcast. (My question of him is why anyone would listen to the TV audio feed when the radio one is available? o_O)

I can't answer his question because I've only had my hands on a FanVision once. I immediately set it to listen to MRN and ignored almost everything else about it. There were bigger TVs available that day if I wanted to watch replays. Otherwise, I go to the track to watch the race, not a gadget. Maybe more experience with the device would give me a better appreciation for it, but I'm not willing to pay that kind of money for something I'll only use a few times a year.

What you see on FanVision is usually the exact same thing TV is showing.
Usually is correct but not always.
Revman's question was about the AUDIO feed from the TV broadcast.
Not exactly. See below.

Ordered the RE 58 rig which arrived yesterday. She's all hooked up with the phone app and is looking for others to add. I'd say it was a hit. Now she's doing the Daytona countdown with the rest of us. Thanks for all the input.

thumb-up-terminator+pablo+M+R.jpg

Ordered the RE 58 rig which arrived yesterday. She's all hooked up with the phone app and is looking for others to add. I'd say it was a hit. Now she's doing the Daytona countdown with the rest of us. Thanks for all the input.

thumb-up-terminator+pablo+M+R.jpg
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom