RACE thread --- the Clash

Moving the race to Thursday, it was going to rain thru Wednesday, doesn't give enough time for the TV and the Official trailers to make it back to Daytona and get set up and everything in place for Daytona. After all that IS the most important race of the season.
BTW there are a number of replays of the race on today if you would like to watch the race. The tickets are being refunded to the Clash ticket holders. Some people..lol.
I just looked and as best as I can tell nothing happens on track til 2/13 with qualifying. They run multiple series at different venues during the season, so you know it could be covered if equipment was delayed coming from LA. You're looking at about 36 hours to get from LA to Dayona with 2 drivers straight through, that's definitely doable to have all nascar stuff there by 2/12 for tech.

I thought the whole purpose of running LA was to bring in new fans, so why move it up 24 hours with just a couple hour notice? Surely, the majority of those "new" fans were not in attendance.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I definitely understand his frustration. I didn’t mean to sound insensitive. I was just pointing out things so it doesn’t happen to him again. It’s just a good idea to keep tabs on all the updates before the actual day of the race. Anyway now we all know that they will move a race ahead at least 1 day. It’s a bummer for any fans that missed the race that’s for sure.

I just looked and as best as I can tell nothing happens on track til 2/13 with qualifying. They run multiple series at different venues during the season, so you know it could be covered if equipment was delayed coming from LA. You're looking at about 36 hours to get from LA to Dayona with 2 drivers straight through, that's definitely doable to have all nascar stuff there by 2/12 for tech.

I thought the whole purpose of running LA was to bring in new fans, so why move it up 24 hours with just a couple hour notice? Surely, the majority of those "new" fans were not in attendance.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
No room for error in that time line. Again, Daytona is THE race of the year. A whole lot of "stuff" has to be moved across country.

No room for error in that time line. Again, Daytona is THE race of the year. A whole lot of "stuff" has to be moved across country.
Yep, I think it would have been a pretty stupid decision to wait so late to move everything back east. Can you imagine the pissed off fans that are going to Daytona and it got postponed due to a non points exhibition race.

Yep, I think it would have been a pretty stupid decision to wait so late to move everything back east. Can you imagine the pissed off fans that are going to Daytona and it got postponed due to a non points exhibition race.
The teams who had to rush to get four cars and their backups ready, sitting in a hotel until Thursday. It's nuts. Runway fees, on and on.

Another thing that has to be taken into consideration is the track itself. It takes a lot of equipment and employees to remove that track after the race is over and the companies that are booked to do it may only have a certain window to get the job done due to other jobs they may have already scheduled for the equipment needed. There are probably a lot of things that they had to look at before making their decision and probably why it took so long to make said decision.

Reactions: Pat
I feel for the teams that didn't even get a chance to qualify.

I didn't even know it was rescheduled to Sat. night. i am sure a lot of people didn't either. What were the ratings?

I didn't even know it was rescheduled to Sat. night. i am sure a lot of people didn't either. What were the ratings?
Pretty much had to rip van Winkle it. The weather reports have been posted here for days about concern for the record breaking rainfall that was coming to California area affecting the race. Also it was all over the social media.

To be fair to that guy, nascar has never once moved a race up a full day, so as a fan you don’t think to yourself, “let me see if nascar moved the race up a whole 24 hours!” I wouldn’t have even known myself if not for seeing it on the nascar thread at the forum I’m on. Because I mean the most they normally move anything is an hour.
I thought that because I knew at some point, NASCAR would make that kind of a decision that makes sense. Steve Phelps and O'Donnell aren't perfect, but they are smart.

Fascinating though....Stevens gambled and got bit. Fun to be aggressive, but man, they got bit.

You had a better chance getting them there Saturday than you did on a Wednesday night. This is optimal, but makes a ton more sense....and they need to do it in season.

How in the hell do people bitch about running the race last night when you are looking at Wednesday at the earliest if they don't? Maybe trade those flip phones in for something higher tech, and say informed? NASCAR has needed to take this action for some time with the thinking being that they will lose viewership anyway on a Wednesday....What difference does it make when they lose it? Those who are pissed....I guess you were sacrificed.....but the good news is that you can watch Denny kick ass today with the replay...or it will be available on YouTube....or.....and maybe you didn't even know it.....you can set your recording device to capture everything NASCAR....check with your provider for instructions.....but then again, maybe you don't have cable or a router.....
Yes sir

The only thing I will say they missed the boat on ( no pun intended) is they should have incorporated the LCQ. That's it.
Justifiably nervous.....Rain was coming....not the epic rain predicted, but enough to screw with the proceedings.

I definitely understand his frustration. I didn’t mean to sound insensitive. I was just pointing out things so it doesn’t happen to him again. It’s just a good idea to keep tabs on all the updates before the actual day of the race. Anyway now we all know that they will move a race ahead at least 1 day. It’s a bummer for any fans that missed the race that’s for sure.
And I definitely wasn’t saying NASCAR should’ve not did it and I understand that choice. I just hope they don’t do it with a points paying race, that would be a bad idea imo.

Reactions: Pat
Here in OC just about 25 minutes south of the Coliseum they forecasted the rain to start at 10.00 this morning and then changed it to noon and then1.30 and it just started at 2.45. But it is around 50% until 7.00 pm and then 100% until 2.00 pm Monday afternoon. That is as far as my hour to hour shows. But my daily shows 90% Tuesday, 40% Wednesday, 40% Thursday, and 30% Friday. But nice and sunny the following Saturday through Tuesday. 😃

IMO Nascar did the right thing by moving it forward. The one thing Nascar is responsible for is the safety for the fans and drivers. I applaud Nascar for being proactive instead of reactive. Nascar is always in a no win situation with fans, had they waited, fans would be upset that they didn’t move it to the night before.

IMO Nascar did the right thing by moving it forward. The one thing Nascar is responsible for is the safety for the fans and drivers. I applaud Nascar for being proactive instead of reactive. Nascar is always in a no win situation with fans, had they waited, fans would be upset that they didn’t move it to the night before.
This right here is spot on. Imo

I must be living under a rock, I had no idea, so was it a good race?
I was trying to watch it while I was at the Slotcar track racing so I only saw parts of it but what I saw looked pretty good.

Did anybody catch the part were the Fox Nascar broadcasting crew said Mexico was one of the Commonwealth states.

I freaking hated the broadcast. Clint is the village idiot, and Harv is trying to match wit while Joy tries to play the role of Dad. It's stupid. Worse than I thought it would be. STFU and call the race. Quit ****** around, and if you want a star, lure Chad away from the Pen.

One of the better things about the early, moved start time , I was spared the numbing pre race spectacle associated with the Clash circus...
On to Daytona...
I mean this in a helpful way. Every race you can easily find out the green flag time, tune in like a minute or two before that, then you won’t have to watch the pre race.

I mean this in a helpful way. Every race you can easily find out the green flag time, tune in like a minute or two before that, then you won’t have to watch the pre race.
I've posted detailed schedules here on RF for every race for a couple years, so I'm keenly aware of green flag start times.
Thanks for the helpful tip...

There is no doubt in my mind now that NASCAR made the only decision they could without just pulling the plug. There is no way there would be any racing today and it is not supposed to let up before Wednesday and there is still 40% chance of rain on Wednesday and Thursday.

The broadcast goes into overdrive about the tracks in every commonwealth state being a commonwealth state, overworking it like half the tracks being Martin Truax's home track.
The broadcast programming tries to put me asleep. ;)

It’s good that the teams got out of here last night. The local news has reported that the Governor has declared the whole state of California a state of emergency. Here in SoCal they are asking people to please stay home and off the roads if possible.

Back
Top Bottom