Racing at North Wilksboro

P

pettyfan4life

* Racing back at North Wilkesboro? Racing will return to Wilkes County - if NASCAR legend Junior Johnson has his way. ?I think there?s an excellent chance that in less than five years, there?ll be racing there again,? Johnson told The Record during a Monday interview. ?It?d make a great place for Winston Cup and Busch to test, too.? Johnson, a former driver and Winston Cup team owner, said that he and a group of investors, whom he declined to name, are pondering the possibility of purchasing the track. Johnson appears to be ready to participate in the purchase. If racing returns, it isn?t expected to be Winston Cup. BGN and CTS racing are more likely candidates, Johnson said. The North Wilkesboro Speedway opened in 1947. The last race was held there on Sept. 29, 1996. Since then, the .625-mile asphalt oval has been silent and the 40,000 seats empty. The track?s long career came to an end after the May 1995 death of owner Enoch Staley. The speedway was then sold to Bruton Smith, who owns Texas Motor Speedway [along with Lowe's Motor Speedway, Infineno Raceway, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Bristol Motor Speedway and Las Vegas Motor Speedway thru Speedway Motorsports], and Bob Bahre, who owns New Hampshire International Speedway. The sale price was reportedly $14 million. The two bought the Wilkes track with closure in mind - they wanted the spring and fall race dates for their tracks. Bahre has said that he?d like to see the North Wilkesboro Speedway used, but says Smith isn?t interested. And there?s the snag. With Bahre and Smith reportedly not being on speaking terms regarding the track, little has been done. Johnson says several legal issues must be settled before any sale could be considered. ?Bruton (Smith) won?t do anything with his part,? Johnson said. ?Still, I think it?s a possibility that once they get that over with something can be worked out.? Neither Smith nor Bahre could be reached by phone this week. Johnson and Bahre, however, appear to agree that the North Wilkesboro Speedway would be suited for BGN and CTS racing. There has also been talk of weekly modified and sportsman division races. Wilkes has proven that it can be a successful host to special events. Johnson used the Brushy Mountain Apple Festival and MerleFest as examples. If the track reopens, he said, it could also be used during such events. There?s also been talk of establishing a NASCAR museum in Wilkes. A museum here would be appropriate, Johnson said, due to Wilkes County?s racing roots. When NASCAR left Wilkes, ?It just absolutely destroyed the economics here,? he said. During the two race weeks held at the speedway each year while the track was operating, thousands of fans filled motels and hotels in Wilkes and surrounding counties. Those fans ate in area restaurants and shopped at local stores. In more recent years, the race dates had shared the limelight with the Apple Festival and MerleFest as the three major drawing cards to the area. But, Johnson said, ?The race track was the biggest of them by far.? County Manager Gary Page, when told of Johnson?s hopes for the track, said, ?As far as the NASCAR fans in the county, they?d be thrilled to have some kind of racing back here.? Page added, ?As far as economic development, I?m sure that any kind of racing (at the speedway) would cause some spin off of benefits. We?ve always heard that if the track opens again, a lot of NASCAR teams would like to use it for testing.? For the past few years, speedway owners and Wilkes County tax officials have disputed the tax value of the property - which includes the track, stands, 43.2 acres of land and two houses. A $9.5 million tax value has been listed by the county. Smith and Bahre say it?s worth about $2 million. An independent appraiser valued the property at $7.2 million. The dispute will head to the state Court of Appeals, possibly in the next few months, county officials say. In the meantime, Smith and Bahre pay their taxes despite the disagreement. ?They?re good taxpayers,? said Wilkes Tax Administrator Alex Hamilton. ?They?ve already paid their (2002) bill.? The annual bill is $72,000, Hamilton said. It is paid by North Wilkesboro Speedway Inc., in which Smith and Bahre each own 50 percent of the stock. County officials are hopeful once the tax dispute is settled, the track will be used again. About the possibility of a sale and reopening of the North Wilkesboro Speedway, Page said, ?I don?t see any negatives. With the economy the way it is, I just think it would bring back a little normalcy and stability to Wilkes County.?(The Record)(1-3-2003)

I think it'd be a great place to host the winston if nascar wanted it out of lowes.

Yea i would love that I would also like to see the winston at Bristol or Dega or somewhere exciting

The down side is the condition of the track and the stands. It's going to take whole pots of money to make it anywhere near raceable.

And getting Smith and Bahre to agree on something is mixing oil and water ---- won't happen.

I think it will happen, will be a good business venture for the right individual with the right capital funding.

Nice idea! I was wondering what Junior was up to these days. He was one agressive driver in his hey day.

This is an idea that crops up every now and then. (T-Bird, Junior hasn't been doing much lately except making commercials for jewelry stores and politicians) I think that Smitty will hold the track hostage for a long time to come, simply because he doesn't want it in the hands of the France's. Yes TRL, the stands and track are completely in disrepair. The track would probably need a complete overhaul and the stands, while not totally out of shape would need a lot of care to get back to normalcy. Junior see something that would help his community, but I think that he believes as I do, it's only a pipe dream that will probably never happen. We always loved going to that track, and we had great seats as well. I'd love to see even late models or the modifieds race there again. It's our community too.

I am like trl I dont think it will too much money and stuff will play in to it

You don't think Junior has one of his "Stills" underneath the garage area---do you..??? :)

I don't know about this one... It could be a "ploy" by Smith/Bahre--((paying Jr his Commercial Money))--to start this rumor---in Hopes of swinging "France Inc".. to get that other date in Texas.... Even if they Spend the Bucks--and bring it back to 90,000 seats--- like Bristol... Question is--- Will they get a Race..??? If they do---will Smith/Bahre---shut it down again--and take that race somewhere..?? Many many questions---and "GUESSes"--to Come..<<G>>

Hey Willie, Junior's place isn't far from there. I've got some real good shine from up there in Wilkes County. Could be some of Junior's, but we'll never know.

It's worth a shot to try and bring that track back, but it's going to be hard to get it away from those two that bought that track with the intent to close it.

Ceeb---------

I know the Place.. <<G>> Used to "ride" up there with Big Bro--- from Greenboro----for--- "Occasions"... <G>:D

Back
Top Bottom