Rafael Sperafico

Lap3Forever

Staff member
SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) Brazilian stock car racer Rafael Sperafico was killed in an accident Sunday during the Sao Paulo Grand Prix.

The 26-year-old lost control of his car on the sixth lap, slamming into the tire wall and bouncing back on to the track. His car was then struck by the car driven by Rentao Russo, who was in serious but stable condition with head injuries.

Sperafico died from massive head injuries followed by cardiac-respiratory failure, Dr. Dino Altman said in an interview on television.

The accident occurred on the same stretch of the Interlagos track where Formula One drivers Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber were involved in an accident during the 2004 Brazilian Grand Prix.

heartcross.gif

RIP...... thoughts and prayers to the family. BTW, not trying to be morbid, but has anyone else seen the crash footage? What are those cars rollcages made of, swingswet pipes? I know he took a terrible impact in the worst part of the car, the drivers door, but I have not seen many cars give way like that, at least not since the mid 60's. Very scary. I hope the sanctioning body looks into the crash to help future drivers avoid similar fate.

Back
Top Bottom