Rate The Cup Race: The Charlotte ROVAL

The last lap finish was reminiscent of the Darrell Waltrip, Dale Earnhardt 1986 Richmond wreck that allowed Kyle Petty to get his first win.
8.75, an excellent race with tons of hard racin' and a little too much carnage. Yes, it's been a while since we've seen the time-honored tradition of the 3rd place guy sneaking through to steal the victory after the two leaders wreck together on the last lap. Like Richard Petty winning the 1979 Daytona 500. Congrats to Blaney.

And *major* respect to Jimmie Johnson, who had to choose between racing for the win or backing off to safely advance on points to the Round of 12. His post-race interview said it all... he had a shot at the win, so he had to go for it. He's a Racer, even now in the twilight of this awful year he has endured. It is a moment that reminds me what a privilege it has been to watch him race, even though I'm not a JJ fan.

a solid 9 from me. Dad even managed to stay awake and said it was a good race, which is rare.

8.75, an excellent race with tons of hard racin' and a little too much carnage. Yes, it's been a while since we've seen the time-honored tradition of the 3rd place guy sneaking through to steal the victory after the two leaders wreck together on the last lap. Like Richard Petty winning the 1979 Daytona 500. Congrats to Blaney.

And *major* respect to Jimmie Johnson, who had to choose between racing for the win or backing off to safely advance on points to the Round of 12. His post-race interview said it all... he had a shot at the win, so he had to go for it. He's a Racer, even now in the twilight of this awful year he has endured. It is a moment that reminds me what a privilege it has been to watch him race, even though I'm not a JJ fan.
Damn right, JJ is a race car driver and settling for second when the win is in your front windsheild isnt in your nature. Good on him. You dont win 7 Championships letting wins slip away by being conservative.

I’m giving it a 9 today. The racing was better and the tv coverage showed more than just the lead two cars.

10. Not the wreckfest it was billed as it was going to be. Plenty entertaining. Talent really shined through...Wrecky Stenhouse and A Dilllon Brother both proving that. 7-time proved why he won 7 til the last turn unfortunately.

9. Great to see live. They just need a couple more passing zones, but I don’t know how they’d do that.
1, off 8 and into 9, 15 / 16 (Cup champions need not apply :D), and maybe 5 and 11. That's as many or more than Sonoma or the Glen.

The transition onto the oval is an absolute joy and gives those cars with better horsepower an equalizer for the cars that handle better through the technical session.

I missed most of the race. From the ratings here it looks like it was pretty good. I only caught the end and was thinking it was a randomizing race like Talladega. I was wondering why they tried a new race course during the playoffs. I was surprised at Johnson's move to win the race, I figured he'd take his good finish to move on in the playoff. I think the pressure or his desire to win may have influenced his decision, it was the closest he has been to the checkered flag in a long time. When he lost it I thought he bailed off course to avoid hitting Truex but that's not the way it turned out. I don't blame Truex for being mad at Johnson and I don't blame Johnson for going for the win. The leaders don't take each other out very often but it happened twice in this race. Congrats to Blaney for being in position to take the win. There was a lot of goofy things going on with the points at the end of the race that had me scratching my head considering Larson's situation, he's in - he's out - he back in. .

I only caught the end and was thinking it was a randomizing race like Talladega.
Definitely not! I think that's what many expected and most feared (me included), but the Derrick Copes, Trevor Baynes, and Austin Dillons aren't likely to get this one on their records. If this was run during the regular season, the winner would be a driver you'd expect to get past first playoff round. Yeah, it got random at the end, but many races do when restarted with 6 laps to go.

The race was a 6 until the last seven laps. Nothing really going on. Then the crash and the red flag which went on and on and on happened and it got interesting. Note to self, just tune in for the last 10 laps next year.

After taking the night to think about it some more and digest it, I still just think it was OK. It was cool, and different, and far from bad, but not a whole lot went on until the last little bit. Passing was way too difficult, Bowman said you could be 2 seconds faster than the guy in front of you and there was just no way around. Probably slightly exaggerated, but I got his point. I don't know that you can fix that, and I don't think more time on the track and more experience changes that. They could always tinker around with the layout I suppose.

I'm definitely cool with them running it going forward, just overall I don't think yesterday was awesome. I am glad though that it wasn't the catastrophe that it looked like it would be in testing/practice.

The race was a 6 until the last seven laps. Nothing really going on. Then the crash and the red flag which went on and on and on happened and it got interesting. Note to self, just tune in for the last 10 laps next year.

IDK if you DVR the races but if not it sounds like it would be a good fit. I would hate to invest an afternoon in something I thought was ho hum or didn't really like.

I give it a 9. It would be a 10 if they didn't have those 90 degree turns.

After taking the night to think about it some more and digest it, I still just think it was OK. It was cool, and different, and far from bad, but not a whole lot went on until the last little bit. Passing was way too difficult, Bowman said you could be 2 seconds faster than the guy in front of you and there was just no way around. Probably slightly exaggerated, but I got his point. I don't know that you can fix that, and I don't think more time on the track and more experience changes that. They could always tinker around with the layout I suppose.

I'm definitely cool with them running it going forward, just overall I don't think yesterday was awesome. I am glad though that it wasn't the catastrophe that it looked like it would be in testing/practice.
One way to get around a slower car is the "Jeff Gordon move Rusty" move. It isn't like we don't see it in other road course races.

One way to get around a slower car is the "Jeff Gordon move Rusty" move. It isn't like we don't see it in other road course races.

The track got better as the day went on. Brand new green infield and a tire that Goodyear went harder on at the last minute. The drivers / competition got tighter as the drivers learned the track I thought.

9 being a cut off race I think some of the drivers were a little timid. After a few more races on that track the teams and drivers well be more aggressive. 2 and 42 proved you could race hard side by side.
Sad to see the 48 eliminated, but I loved the fact that he went for the win.(I understand it wasn't the smart move)
It reminded me of the old days when two drivers would go head to head for the win and not worry about tomorrow.

IDK if you DVR the races but if not it sounds like it would be a good fit. I would hate to invest an afternoon in something I thought was ho hum or didn't really like.

I enjoy the NBC Sport replay of the race that is 120 mins. For me, it is the perfect amount of time to invest in today's NASCAR.

Great race but I wish the oval portion would have played more of a role...I think this race could be even better without the back stretch chicane so that the (oval) turns 3&4 come into play.

Back
Top Bottom