Rate The Race: 2017 Daytona 500

Lackluster final 10 laps? Huh? o_O The closing laps of the race was what saved it from being totally worthless.
The final 10 laps we're mainly single file...everything before that was mainly side-by-side. It was slightly disappointing and I was hoping for a lot more aggression in the closing laps.

Entertainment - 10
Racing - 9
Overall 9.5

One of the most interesting Daytona 500's ever for me.

7.......... I liked the low downforce package, and that they had to actually drive the cars. Just to many cautions, but that's what you get when you take away the downforce, still that made the middle part of the race boring.

I wasn't a Kurt Bush fan early on in his career, but I sure was happy to see him win tonight. It appears that he is much more appreciative of his racing career now that he has matured.

The final 10 laps we're mainly single file...everything before that was mainly side-by-side. It was slightly disappointing and I was hoping for a lot more aggression in the closing laps.
But you also actually had *passes* that were done old school. In particularly Larson's one-man pass/slide job.

I'll say an 8. Was so close to seeing Larson get his first Daytona 500 win... The 2 points off comes from the constant yellows from lap 120 to 150

I'd rate it a 6. Way too many wrecks and the rules for the repairing cars is a joke. I kind of like the segments and awarding points. Let them go back to being able to put repair panels on the cars instead of relying just on tape.

7.5 for me, which includes a deduction for too much carnage in the middle.

Might have been better without the segments. Too early to tell.

5. I thought it was typical plate racing and I am not a big fan of it but I respect the fact that many others really like it. The 4 plate races are some of the most watched and attended races each year so I am in the minority.

8, would be higher but DW is back to saying that boogity crap again. On a positive note, MW wasnt behind a microphony with his touchy feely hands. DIDnt have the volume turned up for most of the race, who did kyle boooosh blame for his accident? Its never his fault, just ask him.

I've been absent on this forum for awhile, but one thing hasn't changed and that is restrictor plate racing is still horrible! I'll give the race a 3, it was a wreckfest, so were the two other top tier series races. It's the same old story, and the segment gimmick is just that a gimmick!

5. I thought it was typical plate racing and I am not a big fan of it but I respect the fact that many others really like it. The 4 plate races are some of the most watched and attended races each year so I am in the minority.

Well said. I think that the Stages might get some blame for the wrecks, but we have all seen plate races equally stupid. Plates are plates. Let's see what happens in ATL. I'll give it a 7 generously. Congratulations to Ford.

8. I thought it was a good race despite the crazy amount of wrecks.

The new format worked well IMO. I'm interested to see how that will carry over to non-plate tracks

I thought it was a solid 9. Kept everyone on their feet till the very end.

I think I'm gonna like this segment thing.

People saying 500 was a wreck fest must have watched a different race than me. Other than the couple of wrecks after the segments there was a lot of green flag racing. I didn't mind the wrecks as that's just part of Daytona and you've got to expect that and a race at Daytona isn't a race without a big wreck. Now the Trucks and Xfinity those were wreck fest.

There were more big ones than usual. The bigger teams that tried to run together crashed together. I found it interesting that it came down to individuals racing for the win and not the usual team/manufacturer cars trying to link up. The survivors won the day. I think the new points system added to the mid race competition. The 5 min fix-it rule is probably good to keep the bandaged cars off the track causing debris cautions. (After watching the program about the Rainbow warriors and seeing Earnhart's messed up car on the track I began to see the wisdom of keeping bandaged cars off the track).

Maybe an 8 v modern races v real old time racing, a 2.

Back
Top Bottom