Rate the Race --- Chicago

It kind of hurts to see Kyle Larson lose one like that. I truly thought it was his race to win. I started yelling when he got past KB, and thought he'd finally get the break through! It's a wonder the Kyle and Kyle show finished on all eight wheels and crossed the line 1-2. Nevertheless, the race between Kyle Busch and Kyle Larson was an outstanding piece of racing at its finest. Tit-for-tat, door-to-door, just pristine racing. Even before the Kyle's squared up, figuratively speaking, the intra-team battle at SHR was also on full display today. Kurt and Kevin wringing each other's necks for a playoff point was a little thriller in itself. For a 1.5 mile track, there was a lot of passing throughout the field, no shortage of action, no lack of competition, and every positive quality of racing you could ask for.

Larson, once again, proves to be such an immense class act. Quality guy with a great understanding of how racing is supposed to be.

Busch, once again, proves that he doesn't care what you think. He's the other half of that tantalizing battle, and he's proud to have come out on top. What more is there to say?

A good 9. Wild finish. Not sure how to take KDB reaction post race. Guess he’s auditioning for WWE. I’d pay big $$ to see a brute whup his a** on pay per view :owquitit:;).

He’s one heck of a driver. Can’t stand him, but I give him his due.

Larson is also among the best. Amazing track down late in the race, and a cool head after the dump.

10. Fantastic racing from the drop of the green. My wife is a KB fan and I myself am a KL fan. She asked me if I was pissed after and I said, how can I be? Those two guys went out there and laid it on the line. Larson drove it in knowing that he couldn't wait until 3 and 4 to make a move and when it didn't stick he said he knew he had to hit him to bog him down. He did it and was ready for it to be returned to him. I love that at the end of the day the response is "it's racing". That is how it is supposed to be done. I want to see guys who are willing to do what they have to do to get the win. However, if the result would have been different KB would have had a different reaction. He was still pretty sour about the move in post race, but I think he knows that Larson brings out the competitive side in him and those two have some incredible battles.

10. Great race from start to finish. This one was a 10 even BEFORE the last lap antics. A classic race... quintessential Nascar.

I also want to say that Jr was great yesterday. He made Letarte easier to listen to. It was very interesting o hear from two guys that are not too far removed from the sport that recently worked together. It is a special kind of look in to their dynamic. Burton is still a hack.
I dig what Jr. was doing in the booth too.

That being said, NASCAR has the worst luck. On a Monday when the race finish should have been the most talked about thing on sport talk radio/TV King James decided to sign a contract in LA. There isn't any air left over for anything else. Typical of NASCAR's luck over the last decade.

8.5. It was a good race with a great finish.

I don't think the timing would have made any difference. Mainstream sports radio ignores motorsports except for the D500, I500, and if someone gets killed; and maybe not even then.

Agreed. The 'mainstream' sports media that is right now primarily concerned with NBA free agency drama rather than any sports that are actually in season isn't going to cover NASCAR or racing results, good or bad, barring a death or major physical altercation. It's that far off their radar. There is not a single day of the year that yesterday's ending would have been a focus for them.

Thanks.

I don't think the timing would have made any difference. Mainstream sports radio ignores motorsports except for the D500, I500, and if someone gets killed; and maybe not even then.

The sporting press had the ability to chat about Jr in the booth, the race, and the finish. Jr. is the only person in NASCAR that people outside of the sport might know or be able to recognize. James' signing created a sport's news vacuum. Heck, it bumped regular news down a story or two on the morning shows.

If I believed your point-of-view then NASCAR is doomed.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I actually stayed in and watched this race, and was falling asleep / kicking myself for wasting the afternoon. The roughhousing at the end was a surprise, but it didn't impress me. Busch and Larson did a good job of saving their cars and not trashing anybody else in the process, but I've seen much better shoving and retaliating many times. Didn't mind Busch crowing about his victory, but didn't appreciate him mocking the fans. Larson's after-race comments were okay, but rather bland considering what he's just been through. Overall this race won't draw me back to making a habit of wasting afternoons watching NASCAR races.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I actually stayed in and watched this race, and was falling asleep / kicking myself for wasting the afternoon. The roughhousing at the end was a surprise, but it didn't impress me. Busch and Larson did a good job of saving their cars and not trashing anybody else in the process, but I've seen much better shoving and retaliating many times. Didn't mind Busch crowing about his victory, but didn't appreciate him mocking the fans. Larson's after-race comments were okay, but rather bland considering what he's just been through. Overall this race won't draw me back to making a habit of wasting afternoons watching NASCAR races.
I guess racing isn't for you. At no point of the race was it a snoozer. Can't imagine what you thought of Vegas, Atlanta or Kansas.

8.5. I've seen better races. This was an "okay" race and had it not been for the good old fashioned, hard nose, beat and bang, chrome horn, door crushing, finish, would not have been as enjoyable. VaDirt got it right when comparing it to the Craven/Busch finish. It made up for some of what was an otherwise decent race. Not spectacular, but decent. YOMV.:)

NASCAR certainly got the short end of the stick there. What was the most memorable intermediate track race in recent memory could've gotten at least some national play had it not fallen on the same weekend as the opening on NBA free agency.

Just watched it again in full - 9.75

Best 1.5-mile race from start to finish in a long time, probably the best finish since Fontana 2013. I can't believe how Chicagoland has aged; I saw towards the end of a run Almirola and Harvick were running 1-2 with average lap speeds in the low 160s. The slowest 1.5 by a pretty good margin now.

NASCAR certainly got the short end of the stick there. What was the most memorable intermediate track race in recent memory could've gotten at least some national play had it not fallen on the same weekend as the opening on NBA free agency.

I don't know a soul that gives Bball a minute of their time. I can't change the channel quick enough if I acciddently turn a ball game on

I guess racing isn't for you. At no point of the race was it a snoozer. Can't imagine what you thought of Vegas, Atlanta or Kansas.
I didn't bother with any of those races. Yes, NASCAR Cup racing isn't for me anymore - I prefer real racing on the bullrings. Which is too bad, since I've been watching NASCAR since the 1970s and used to attend many races plus record all the ones I could get on TV... those days are probably not coming back.

By the way, I've also been racing (mechanic and sometimes driver, although admittedly not at the Cup level due to budget) since the 1970s. Have you?

Back
Top Bottom