Rate The Race: Darlington

Darlington is a different kind of race. Typically the driver and crew can't make mistakes at Darlington - especially with green flag pit stops. But Denny ran hard enough to make up for his mistake. I enjoyed the race. It is one race I tune in for the pre-race programming. The NBC crew was totally into it from the living color peacock to Krista's Madonna look. I think the Throwback idea is a great way to honor NASCAR's history.

The stupid throw back stuff makes it a ****show--the paint schemes are overdone now as well. Keep it to a few, and let's cut the other crap. Don't see the NFL broadcasters going to period correct attire during their throwback weeks.
The paint schemes are fine, but we don't need three Sonny Crockett wannabes in the booth and a Madonna-clad Krista Voda in Victory Lane.

The stupid throw back stuff makes it a ****show--the paint schemes are overdone now as well. Keep it to a few, and let's cut the other crap. Don't see the NFL broadcasters going to period correct attire during their throwback weeks.

I can understand how some folks can get caught up in the throw back hoopla and enjoy it and I have no problem with it at all. For me the throwback stuff has taken on a life of its own and crossed over from fun to pandering and that sort of thing doesn't suit me. I wish I could have watched the race and rated it objectively but for whatever reason I was in no mood for Burton and Letarte so I turned the volume down and then lost interest. I may try and catch a replay as Darlington is normally a must see race for me.

8 but damn I wish some of my drivers had the races they could have.

Also the coverage gets a 3. Didn't show intervals behind the leader for the first 3rd of the race and provided very little useful information for about all of the race.

I just finished watching all of it. I've got tot go with a 7.5. No, not every lap was great but the end of the first stage was awesome, great strategy, exciting finish, nothing really bogus. The 1992 Hooters 500 in my opinion is the greatest race ever, but some partsin the middle stages were a little boring.

The paint schemes are fine, but we don't need three Sonny Crockett wannabes in the booth and a Madonna-clad Krista Voda in Victory Lane.
Personalies, I thought Krista should have done the Olivia Newton John's "lets get physical' leotard gig . It wood have been a more spirtual, as well.

8.5 Darlington is like watching a high speed short track, tight racing and takes a lot more of the drivers skill than the superspeedways. Have to give credit to Hamlin for driving 2 good races this week. I'm a big Truex fan would have loved to see him hang on to the finish.

I enjoyed the race as I usually do. Once again the production stunk up the race. I have this bad habit of tuning in to watch a Nascar race and instead I get to see a television broadcasters idea of entertainment. I think they are looking for stupid fans who consider Rutledge a comedian and worthy of replacing the race. Can the man go any further to make himself look and sound ridiculous? Thank goodness they have stage racing and the network is forced to show some racing.

Wow , a lot of big numbers out there. From the bits and pieces I
was able to catch, I would say a 6.5 but when the 78 ran in to
issues , that bumped it up to a 7. Enjoyed hearing Ned in the booth
and all the throwback history lessons.

10....and with that win, Toyota takes the lead int he Manufacturers Standings. Boom and boom!
On their way to another manufacture title oh yeah, and more than likely a drivers title to go along with it.

8 because it was Darlington. Race itself was a 2 in my book until Denny missed pit road and made things interesting.

9.0. The crown jewel races all get extra credit from me, and Darlington gets *extra* extra credit for being *the* crown jewel of the crown jewels. Darlington is an awesome old school test of driver skill. I dislike the sniveling diva who drives the 11 and cares more about golfing than racing, but this was an awesome drive and an awesome win. I can dislike him but still respect this win. And I'm good with the throwback weekend, love it.

This weekend was my first trip to Darlington. Great racing all night, you could see who made the best adjustments to the track changing, the 11 and 18 charging through the field on newer tires.

7.5 - I love Darlington, but I would like to see a second schedule date with the sun out. I think the racing would be even better than it was that night. Just the Gen 6 cars make it even harder to pass, but a solid race altogether.

Tire Management
Racing the track
Closing speeds
A good drama with having to make up a huge deficit, a good pure drama unmolested by BS cautuons.
The flying 11a truly great throw back.
A victory lane interview on the front stretch like it should be.
All great stuff.
10....and with that win, Toyota takes the lead int he Manufacturers Standings. Boom and boom!
https://racing-forums.com/threads/hamlins-wins-at-darlington-both-encumbered.60315/AND

I wish to change my previous rating To a 10, I SAID A TEN. MAKE IT TEN FREAKING CUCUMBERS, AND MAKE EM SPLINTERED AND EXTRY SALTY FOR DENNY to be continued.....

NASCAR isn't a real racing series -- it is a weekly TV series.

Turns out that Denny's great drive was just fiction...

Entertainment: 8/10

Race: 0/10

Joe Gibbs Racing and Penske should not be allowed to run any of their cars next week in any NASCAR Series.
Joe Gibbs should have to personally return the Cup and Xfinity Trophies to NASCAR in a televised ceremony with Denny and his Crew Chiefs silently standing next to him.
Cheating to win a race and collecting prize money should be considered stealing -- and should be investigated by law enforcement as a crime. RICO statutes should be used to determine the extent of organized crime and collusion.

NASCAR isn't a real racing series -- it is a weekly TV series.

Turns out that Denny's great drive was just fiction...

Entertainment: 8/10

Race: 0/10

Joe Gibbs Racing and Penske should not be allowed to run any of their cars next week in any NASCAR Series.
Joe Gibbs should have to personally return the Cup and Xfinity Trophies to NASCAR in a televised ceremony with Denny and his Crew Chiefs silently standing next to him.
Cheating to win a race and collecting prize money should be considered stealing -- and should be investigated by law enforcement as a crime. RICO statutes should be used to determine the extent of organized crime and collusion.
Calm down good grief. It's not like they murdered someone. Cheating has been part of racing from the beginning. If your not cheating your not trying.;)

6...would have been a 7 if Kenseth would have won, that would have screwed up the Nascar powers, the media hype, and made an old guy smile.

Back
Top Bottom