Rate The Race: Kentucky

I would honestly take Jaws over any of the 3 people NBC has in the booth. I might even take Mikey over them. *takes cover*
I'm ok with Burton and have grown to like Letarte but Rick Allen seems way above his head plus he sounds like a NBC school boy. I suppose that may have been the plan plus maybe he has a ***** salary compared to his comrades. Either way the preparation and execution of the Fox commentary seems to be a much more rounded and natural kind of expression thus far.

I'm ok with Burton and have grown to like Letarte but Rick Allen seems way above his head plus he sounds like a NBC school boy. I suppose that may have been the plan plus maybe he has a ******salary compared to his comrades. Either way the preparation and execution of the Fox commentary seems to be a much more rounded and natural kind of expression thus far.
NBC's commentary does sound scripted at times, but FOX's always has sounded natural (aside from the Dale Jr performance report stuff).

Exciting finish and compelling action. This track will be fun in the years to come. It's a shame that so few bothered to show up.

I didn't expect much from this repaved night race, but wow, it was a great race. The degree of difficulty was absolutely off the chart, a real test of driver skill, and that is a huge factor to me in rating a race. The lower downforce rules package was really working as intended. And plenty of opportunity for strategy choices too. A totally fascinating race from green to checkers, IMO. My rating is 9.5.

Before the final stint, I was thinking of this thread, and we discussed it. It looked like the 4 or 78 or 18 would win, and my preliminary rating was 9.5. Then I subtract 0.5 for fuel mileage, but add 0.5 because my driver won, so still 9.5. And if the final stint had been 10 laps shorter so everyone had ample fuel, the winner still would have been the same. Kez was on fire at the end, took the lead on raw speed, and no one could get to him.

It was gut wrenching to see the 21 and 24 crash out that way.

Kudos to Nascar for selecting this repave race for the lower downforce test, a brilliant decision.

Many thanks to Letarte for the explanation of how Truex was able to get fuel and tires while serving his penalty. I was wondering about that.

I didn't expect much from this repaved night race, but wow, it was a great race. The degree of difficulty was absolutely off the chart, a real test of driver skill, and that is a huge factor to me in rating a race. The lower downforce rules package was really working as intended. And plenty of opportunity for strategy choices too. A totally fascinating race from green to checkers, IMO. My rating is 9.5.

Before the final stint, I was thinking of this thread, and we discussed it. It looked like the 4 or 78 or 18 would win, and my preliminary rating was 9.5. Then I subtract 0.5 for fuel mileage, but add 0.5 because my driver won, so still 9.5. And if the final stint had been 10 laps shorter so everyone had ample fuel, the winner still would have been the same. Kez was on fire at the end, took the lead on raw speed, and no one could get to him.

It was gut wrenching to see the 21 and 24 crash out that way.

Kudos to Nascar for selecting this repave race for the lower downforce test, a brilliant decision.

Many thanks to Letarte for the explanation of how Truex was able to get fuel and tires while serving his penalty. I was wondering about that.
I think nascar should credit kentucky speedway for that race. But it really feels like a cooperative victory between nascar, goodyear, and kentucky. I reserve the right to dispute driver skill. Otherwise yea

8 don't care much for fuel mileage races, but might have been a boring finish if not for that.

My DVR recorded it all. Whew.

Give the race about a 6. Horrible, overrated race. Kept my attention because I was waiting to see how Kevin Harvick would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory again this week which he did.

Really ticked at Nascar for forgetting to put in a single debris caution or any late race caution . Fuel milage races are so obviously created by Nascar

It was maybe a 7 but they ruined it with all the gas mileage talk the last 40 minutes.
I thought I was watching the old Mobil gas economy run not a race.

OK, I watched some of the race, none of the commercials and got the final part
in full. <b>I don't like NBC</b> (listened on PRN while at work and watched a fast forward version this morning)

1. Whom ever is controlling the sound production gets off on motors singing and most of the commentary was drowned out. ( I know I have a hearing problem)

2. Burton has to go. He said that those cars have no fuel gauge and then repeated himself 50 times. I now understand and have since before he was in cup that there is no fuel gauge.

3. The camera work was good but the noise level and the poor commentary ruined the race experience. I don't like Jaws all that much in the booth but if we could have FOX without Michelle, I would be much happier.

4. Some here don't like Brad because he has a horse face and they don't like his remarks but you have to admit he is one smart racer once he is in the car.

5. I rate the race a 9.0 and enjoyed the rate of difficulty of the track.

There was a lot going on in the race. Drivers moving up through the field and at times moving back down. I wasn't expecting 2-tire pit stops. The coverage showed racing throughout the field and I like Latarte's insight. I though Truex was the car to beat and his run through the field after the penalty was impressive (I wanted him to pull it off) but his run stalled out. I thought it was a very good race, there were a lot of strategies going on. Kez stole one with precision bidding on fuel millage.

That win was a team win. No issues on PL, car was one of the fastest and was fastest when it had to be, good call fro CC, and good execution by the driver. No driver wins without a great team, even DE and RP couldn't unless their team was one of the best out there.

Call BK every name your little minds can think of and make fun of whatever physical trait you have a hang up on, but you can't deny he is one of the best out there.

Boringggggggggggggggggg....

Fuel mileage (yawn).

Bucky Brad winning.....sucks.

Kahne having a car so loose it was liking driving on dirt...

If KK was saving fuel for the win it would have been much better.

If KK was saving fuel for the win it would have been much better.

Might have brought my rating up to a 4. Yeah, as a fan, the winner of the race factors into my enjoyment of said race,

Thanks for your concern.

There was a lot going on in the race. Drivers moving up through the field and at times moving back down. I wasn't expecting 2-tire pit stops. The coverage showed racing throughout the field and I like Latarte's insight. I though Truex was the car to beat and his run through the field after the penalty was impressive (I wanted him to pull it off) but his run stalled out. I thought it was a very good race, there were a lot of strategies going on. Kez stole one with precision bidding on fuel millage.
Zerk, I agree with you except the last sentence. If fuel mileage had not come into play, the same guy would have won on raw speed at the end.

8. Would have been a 7 but kez won so bumps up a point.

I'll also say 7, not too bad. Had some good moments on the restarts and interesting finish.

I was entertained. I like fuel mileage finishes. There were a variety of tire strategies. I could have stood for a couple fewer cautions.

My DVR recorded it all. Whew.

Give the race about a 6. Horrible, overrated race. Kept my attention because I was waiting to see how Kevin Harvick would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory again this week which he did.
This makes me think that you may have recorded and watched the wrong race again.

Fuel mileage is smart racing, something some drivers can't do.
Like I said. Fuel mileage is part of racing. And what did my post include to provoke argument about how great and smart some drivers are over others.

Not that I recall? Why would they when they have video evidence the 78 cheated? Or tried to anyway?

No, Harvick and NASCAR screwed him hard on the passing to the left in pit lane.

Personally I think there is no call until Harvick complained on the radio.
We will never know what woke that guy up unless he is a GM fan pissed because the 78 went to Toyota, the same company that employs his wife's boyfriend. :sarcasm:

It's hard to rate races you attend but I thought it was one of the best of the year. For a 1.5 mile track race it was about as good as I've seen in years. The race had a ton of twists and turns from the start. Watching Truex charge through the field after the penalty was a thing of beauty. Cars were able to pass all night. Brad did an amazing job of conserving fuel at end so he could hold of Edwards. I think strategy should be a huge part of NASCAR race. That's why they're lengthy races so different facets of racing factor in.

I'll give it a 9....

He screwed himself bolting into his pit and getting there while Harvick was 3 pits back still. Yes everyone speeds up some when they get past the last speed trap before their pit but he made it so obvious it was rediculous.

He screwed himself bolting into his pit and getting there while Harvick was 3 pits back still. Yes everyone speeds up some when they get past the last speed trap before their pit but he made it so obvious it was rediculous.

Yeah, that's the first time that has happened all year. :sarcasm:

Personally I think there is no call until Harvick complained on the radio.
We will never know what woke that guy up unless he is a GM fan pissed because the 78 went to Toyota, the same company that employs his wife's boyfriend. :sarcasm:

Yeah. Okay.

Back
Top Bottom