Rate the race: Michigan 1

42 has a baaaaaad car this weekend.

Quickest in 2 practices, fastest 10 lap average, starting on pole. Might go 2 in a row at Michigan...

BOOOOOM. 9.

8. I like watching Michigan on tv but not so much in person cause the track's too big. I was impressed by Larson beating Kyle Busch on the restart from the inside. I'm sure it felt good after getting beat so bad on that restart by Jimmy Johnson a couple weeks ago.
For fans in Michigan, Berlin has a 150 lap lm race with Kyle Busch, Erik Jones, and Harrison Burton tonight.

Not bad, not great - 7/10. Disappointed that there was only one groove. Interested to see what NASCARs next move is with the tire dragon and VHT.

I was impressed with Larson beating Busch on the restart and he did it on the unpreferred lane. One of the announcers said there were battles throughout the field, I wish they would have shown more of that (they did show some of the battles). I checked the standings today, Larson and Truex are about 2 races ahead of the field and those two guys seem to be the ones up front on a regular basis.

One of the announcers said there were battles throughout the field, I wish they would have shown more of that (they did show some of the battles).
That's why I've had raceview since the first season it came out. There is a ton of good racing and strategy in every race that the tv audience never sees.

4 a single stage caution took 7 laps or 14 miles-- yawn-- Ohhh now i get it, they need that much time to get the "my pillow" or "flex seal" commercials in.
The race was a typical Michigan race, green flag back in the air and 5 laps latter there is a car every 300 feet stretched out all the way around the track, which is the main reason I stopped going to MIS. 42 winning was o.k. though not great but o.k.

From what I seen of the race I give it a 4.75. The telecast doesn't do the actual race any favors.

6. Way too spread out and single groove. If you didn't get the preferred line on the restart you were dead. The only quality pass for the lead that didn't happen on a restart was truex vs Larson in stage 1 and of course that happened right before a commercial break

7.526114!
Michigan used to show better.

Uh what about Larson and Elliott pushing each other everywhere in the closing laps almost wrecking in turn one.

That's the thing about racing, tv shows it so much differently than being in person

Uh what about Larson and Elliott pushing each other everywhere in the closing laps almost wrecking in turn one.

That's the thing about racing, tv shows it so much differently than being in person

If you are able to see the replay, Fox used a blimp or a helicopter something up high to show most of the cars on restarts. it didn't miss anything..really cool idea that I hope NBC uses.

6. I just got finished with the race and for MIS is was decent but still nothing great. If I was going to rate the race based on everything but race quality I would give it a gazillion quadrillion gazillion seeing Kyle couldn't keep up and then end and got bounced from the lead to 7th. That pox I put on him last year after he called another driver a moron has worked remarkably well and may last an entire year between victories for him.

I did like the use of overhead shots as it is something I have missed because it adds perspective and gives a much better view of things than most of the sillyassed in car looks.

8 thought the race was pretty good. Congrats to Larson. I think he will be the next generation top driver. Just wondering how long it will take for Hendricks to snatch him away.

7. Love the sin, but the racing was just ok. Rely like the Larson pass on the bottom and the fact that he held it down on every restart after. His slider in front of Chase was a good one too. Chase was dicking him a little and he shoves it in front of him with little space.

Larson and Truex is shaping up to be a nice little battle, but Jimmie is there too.

My compromise rating: 6.0. Michigan International Speedway conspires with the laws of physics to produce spread out, follow-the-leader racing. Track position and clean air are important at these high speeds. Despite that, there was some spirited side-by-side fighting, and a range of strategies added spice. The win by the 42 was awesome, the 24 and 21 were also outstanding, and the 22's late recovery was pretty cool. And karma to the 18 was also good.

The caution with ~20 to go spoiled an exciting finish. It didn't feel right to me, so I'm inclined to assume it was a bogus yellow designed to avoid a fuel mileage finish. That pisses me off and reduced my rating. And the yellow was out for too many laps as well.

OTOH, there is evidence that Nascar's explanation was truthful. Nascar said debris was present on the racing surface, and they couldn't tell what it was exactly, so they did what they always do in that situation. The evidence includes a discussion on Reddit with photos and paraphrasing of Nascar channel radio traffic. Sometimes when Nascar is consistent in its rulings, we don't like the result. So I don't know what the ultimate truth is. I shaved my rating, but only 1.5 points, not 5 points, because I don't know.

My compromise rating: 6.0. Michigan International Speedway conspires with the laws of physics to produce spread out, follow-the-leader racing. Track position and clean air are important at these high speeds. Despite that, there was some spirited side-by-side fighting, and a range of strategies added spice. The win by the 42 was awesome, the 24 and 21 were also outstanding, and the 22's late recovery was pretty cool. And karma to the 18 was also good.

The caution with ~20 to go spoiled an exciting finish. It didn't feel right to me, so I'm inclined to assume it was a bogus yellow designed to avoid a fuel mileage finish. That pisses me off and reduced my rating. And the yellow was out for too many laps as well.

OTOH, there is evidence that Nascar's explanation was truthful. Nascar said debris was present on the racing surface, and they couldn't tell what it was exactly, so they did what they always do in that situation. The evidence includes a discussion on Reddit with photos and paraphrasing of Nascar channel radio traffic. Sometimes when Nascar is consistent in its rulings, we don't like the result. So I don't know what the ultimate truth is. I shaved my rating, but only 1.5 points, not 5 points, because I don't know.

But....but....but.....but what about the corner entry speeds and trail braking?

^ Your stale bait smells bad.

You add nothing to any conversation about auto racing. There's a reason for that.

These are attributes that Lew has praised in the past as they contribute to what makes up good racing in his mind. There was plenty of that on display Sunday yet no mention of it in his post.

If you spent as much time worrying about yourself as you do worrying about me you would be better for it. Now run along!

^ Your stale bait smells bad.

You add nothing to any conversation about auto racing. There's a reason for that.
That bait smelled bad from the start, Aunty. Then it got stale. I wonder if the state of the Nascar economy is still the same today as it was yesterday? One new thing... a whole series of posts belittling how others rate the race. I mean, new is good, but c'mon.

5 good food but the single file parade is new and should not be like this

That bait smelled bad from the start, Aunty. Then it got stale. I wonder if the state of the Nascar economy is still the same today as it was yesterday? One new thing... a whole series of posts belittling how others rate the race. I mean, new is good, but c'mon.

I missed the memo where you were no longer interested in corner speeds, trail braking and what was going on at the apex. How was I to know you'd dropped it like a hot potato and moved on the something else?

As far as Nascar goes everything is great. They have a generous broadcast contract, plenty of sponsorships and money flowing into the series, good leadership, an easy to understand set of rules that are applied evenly, great attendance at the track and viewership from home and a satisfied fan base. Nascar is ideally positioned for today and for future generations.

20121103_Ear_Tickling.jpg

The phony caution did not change the winner. When Larson got by Chase he was almost 4 seconds back, and had cut it to within a second before the yellow. It did ruin a few days however.

Back
Top Bottom