Rate the Race

Yea, Fuel Mileage Races do suck.

I'll be honest though, the race was pretty forgetful, so 1/10 for me.

I felt the first 3/4's of the race was good.
Just didn't live up to it's potential.

The tightrope walker was cool, though.

OMG where do you 'race fans' come up with this stuff. Fuel mileage races have been a part of this sport since day one. Stretching that last tank of fuel is as much a part of racing as checked flags . Finding something to complain about after every race ? Now that's relatively new !

OMG where do you 'race fans' come up with this stuff. Fuel mileage races have been a part of this sport since day one. Stretching that last tank of fuel is as much a part of racing as checked flags . Finding something to complain about after every race ? Now that's relatively new !

Hardly.

All this whining about fuel mileage is just sour grapes. Congrats to Bowyer as he and his team deserved that win 100%, IMO.

Also someone long ago figured out how to take care of his tires, while everyone blew tires and had to pit he went slow and won the race, very smart man, doesn't mean from a fans point of view it didn't suck watching a guy go slower to win. Same thing with fuel millage racing, no one is taking away the stradegy, some very smart people sitting on those pit boxes, no one is taking away from the drivers who have the skill to backoff and conserve just enough to make it to the end with out losing the lead "BUT!" From my point of view I don't want to watch some of the best drivers in the world in the most competative racing series in the world "slow down" to win a race, also only 6 cars on the lead lap? This is the stuff NASCAR worked so hard back in the 80's to fix. Almost every race was like this, only 4 or 5 cars on the lead lap cars winning on fuel millage, NASCAR went to work to fix it, different aero packages less testing, so on and so on. Now here we are again, only 6 cars on the lead lap and fuel millage win, sorry but it sucks! So please I am not "finding" things to complain about those of us who've been around have seen all this before, it's boring and it sucks. Nascar fixed it once and they need to fix it again.

i slept from lap 100 to 6 to go. it was so boring when it started so i went to sleep.
it gets a 2

uploadfromtaptalk1350220314594.jpg

Ok, to the ones who think last night was fine and a part of racing. Why did NASCAR work so hard back in 80's to fix this problem, why did they reduce the size of the fuel cells, why did they work on the aero packages, why did they work with Goodyear to change tire compounds? Why was it a huge big deal? You still hear drivers and commentators talk about "The good old days" when races were won with only 2 or 3 cars on the lead lap and huge fuel millage differences and how hard NASCAR worked to make Cup the most competative side by side racing series in world. Sorry but last night was a throw back to the days NASCAR would like to forget.

there was some real good racing for Charolette last night, and I even found the strategy part exciting. I found it a little shocking that the 11 and 48 gave up racing the 2 car with almost 120 laps to go and switched to an agressive 2 run fuel save mode. It was a very risky call by Grubb and Chad, and it paid off. I'm left to wonder how it would have played out of the 2 car didn't run out and give up those 40 seconds on the track.

Ok, to the ones who think last night was fine and a part of racing. Why did NASCAR work so hard back in 80's to fix this problem, why did they reduce the size of the fuel cells, why did they work on the aero packages, why did they work with Goodyear to change tire compounds? Why was it a huge big deal? You still hear drivers and commentators talk about "The good old days" when races were won with only 2 or 3 cars on the lead lap and huge fuel millage differences and how hard NASCAR worked to make Cup the most competative side by side racing series in world. Sorry but last night was a throw back to the days NASCAR would like to forget.

And one of the biggest complaints about the new Nascar from drivers and fans alike is parity. 38 cars on the lead lap and running within 6 seconds of one another.

I will say that there seems to have been more fuel races this year than the previous bunch but still believe that the number of complaints depends largely on the winner. Same with plate racing, same with road racing. I see it here every week and it's just the way it is, I guess.

Also someone long ago figured out how to take care of his tires, while everyone blew tires and had to pit he went slow and won the race, very smart man, doesn't mean from a fans point of view it didn't suck watching a guy go slower to win. Same thing with fuel millage racing, no one is taking away the stradegy, some very smart people sitting on those pit boxes, no one is taking away from the drivers who have the skill to backoff and conserve just enough to make it to the end with out losing the lead "BUT!" From my point of view I don't want to watch some of the best drivers in the world in the most competative racing series in the world "slow down" to win a race, also only 6 cars on the lead lap? This is the stuff NASCAR worked so hard back in the 80's to fix. Almost every race was like this, only 4 or 5 cars on the lead lap cars winning on fuel millage, NASCAR went to work to fix it, different aero packages less testing, so on and so on. Now here we are again, only 6 cars on the lead lap and fuel millage win, sorry but it sucks! So please I am not "finding" things to complain about those of us who've been around have seen all this before, it's boring and it sucks. Nascar fixed it once and they need to fix it again.
Solid 8 There are also the ones, like me, that have been around a heluva long time that takes whatever the race gives and enjoys it, if I didnt then I guess I would try to find out what all the fuss is about with football or some such and watch that.

And one of the biggest complaints about the new Nascar from drivers and fans alike is parity. 38 cars on the lead lap and running within 6 seconds of one another.

I will say that there seems to have been more fuel races this year than the previous bunch but still believe that the number of complaints depends largely on the winner. Same with plate racing, same with road racing. I see it here every week and it's just the way it is, I guess.

EFI is more precise, so teams can work the fuel to a razor thin margin. I think the biggest story from last night is just how fast the #2 car has been on 1.5's in the chase. He blew JJ away on the last run at Chicago. He was so fast last night, Chad and Darian threw in the towel with 120 laps and 2 adjustment opportunties left. I was yelling for Kez to save after he and Kyle got a big lead on Biffle. I think if he had let Kyle go instead of pushing so hard, he could have won this one too.

EFI is more precise, so teams can work the fuel to a razor thin margin. I think the biggest story from last night is just how fast the #2 car has been on 1.5's in the chase. He blew JJ away on the last run at Chicago. He was so fast last night, Chad and Darian threw in the towel with 120 laps and 2 adjustment opportunties left. I was yelling for Kez to save after he and Kyle got a big lead on Biffle. I think if he had let Kyle go instead of pushing so hard, he could have won this one too.
Now why in the world doesnt that surprise me FB. :D

I went to bed at 9:15pm. I think these 70 hour weeks are catching up to me. My favorite driver wasn't racing either. I would give it a 7 from what I saw.

I will give it a 7.

LOL - to some posters, don't forget to rate the race on a scale of 1 to 10.

I would give it a 7. It wasn't as exciting as dega, but watching how the fuel strategy played out had it's moments. Plus I love night races.

But...with a carburetor, the fuel delivery rate is more consistent. The air volume going through the venturis is what draws the fuel out of the carburetor.
EFI is different. The PCM for the EFI is constantly leaning and richening the fuel/air ratio based on a number of factors, including air temp and air density. Thus, teams are now never sure how much fuel is in the cell. Fuel mileage notes from last year do not apply to the new EFI system. That's why we've seen so many guys run out of fuel this year.

But...with a carburetor, the fuel delivery rate is more consistent. The air volume going through the venturis is what draws the fuel out of the carburetor.
EFI is different. The PCM for the EFI is constantly leaning and richening the fuel/air ratio based on a number of factors, including air temp and air density. Thus, teams are now never sure how much fuel is in the cell. Fuel mileage notes from last year do not apply to the new EFI system. That's why we've seen so many guys run out of fuel this year.

I have to disagree Bobby, mainly because of how a carburetor's accelerator pump works. Every former driver and CC that has mentioned it seem to agree that estimating fuel consumption is much more accurate with EFI vs Carburator. I think it's mainly due to the old accelerator pumps that make it impossible to accurately gauge fuel usage when the driver gets on the gas 2 times per lap. The accelerator pump just dumps fuel, EFI doesn't. Every team has their fuel map on a laptop. They plug in air temp (density) and time at full, 3/4 or even 1/2 throttle and they know exactly what the system is burning and for how long. When you get on the throttle with EFI, they factor in the added injector duration and they know precisely how much extra fuel the system is using and for how long.

So i guess you are in favor for a mandatory caution with 20 to go where everyone HAS to come in for 4 tires and fuel:owquitit:

I have to disagree Bobby, mainly because of how a carburetor's accelerator pump works. Every former driver and CC that has mentioned it seem to agree that estimating fuel consumption is much more accurate with EFI vs Carburator. I think it's mainly due to the old accelerator pumps that make it impossible to accurately gauge fuel usage when the driver gets on the gas 2 times per lap. The accelerator pump just dumps fuel, EFI doesn't. Every team has their fuel map on a laptop. They plug in air temp (density) and time at full, 3/4 or even 1/2 throttle and they know exactly what the system is burning and for how long. When you get on the throttle with EFI, they factor in the added injector duration and they know precisely how much extra fuel the system is using and for how long.
But with a carburetor, the accelerator pump is controlled by the right foot. With EFI the mileage changes with the weather.

But with a carburetor, the accelerator pump is controlled by the right foot. With EFI the mileage changes with the weather.

Silly boy. :rolleyes:

We have thermometers for the weather, but not for the right foot. Temperature isn't a secret...honest it isn't. :D

Yes and MPG's aren't consistent with EFI.
'Splain why so many cars ran out of fuel on the track this year after EFI...

Because more teams are trying fuel mileage racing and getting it wrong. Fuel map, air temp, time off throttle, etc can be confusing id driver and spotter aren't getting that 'we need 100 ft of lift' just right. The 15 team called their fuel within 1/2 lap over 54 laps. That's pretty damn precise.

Solid 8 There are also the ones, like me, that have been around a heluva long time that takes whatever the race gives and enjoys it, if I didnt then I guess I would try to find out what all the fuss is about with football or some such and watch that.
I like what you are saying. I too,turn on the race ,not knowing what will happen.There may be fuel issues that effect the outcome . Or there may be tire wear issues , or weather issues or accidents , or mechanical issues , or penalties. I never know till it happens ,live ,in front of me. That's racin. I think it's great the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom