Rebel Flag

No question avaiable to import.

• FLY IT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BURN IT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I keep reading definitions for the redneck and there seems to be different definitions for the same word. I have two unabridged dictionaries in my house. I looked it up in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, Copyright by G. & C. Merriam Co. 1981 and came up with "redneck": n : a white member of the Southern rural laboring class. Then since we have more than one definition going on here I looked it up in Webster's New Twentieth Century Dictionary Unabridged Second Edition-Delux Color, Copyright 1983 by Simon & Schuster and came up with: NOTHING!! I mean there ain't a definition for redneck......it jumps from "redmouth" to "redness"!! What does that mean? In 1981 redneck was a word and then in 1983 it became a non-word? Or do G. & C. Merriam and Simon and Schuster have different opionions on what are words (and consequently meanings of words)? I guess my point is that words have accepted meanings that are not necessarily set in concrete.....depends on where you find the definitions. Also the context in which the word is used has at least as much to do with the definition as the "written definition" (or the "non-existance" of the word). Meaning of words change over time due the their usage by people. Seems redneck is one such word. I've looked up several definitions on the internet and came up with various definitions that have all been mentioned on this thread. So I guess you can use any definition you choose depending on the source you preferr to hang your "context" on.:) Being born and raised until the tender age of 12 in Texas and then spending 25 years in Arkansas I've sort of considered myself a redneck but now I'm not sure......according to one dictionary I'm a member of the Southern laboring class (I thought we were a classless society!!) and depending on another dictionary I don't even exist!! Sort of silly, huh?:)

Oh, and someone told us that "ain't" is a Southern word. Hmmm, when I was growing up (in the South) I was told that "ain't" ain't a word!! But, it's defined in the dictionary as a word that is not considered proper by many but is a slang contraction: "is not, am not" and several others (I put the dictionaries back up on the shelf and I ain't gonna go look it up again for an exact quote!!:) but no where does it state it's a Southern word........Yankees use that word as much as us Southerners!!:)

Maybe many words can mean anything you care for them to mean!!

Just my observations and opinions.:D

Geeze that was a "windy" post!!:D

ain't was added to the dictionary because people continued to use it. If enough people use it, it will become a official word before long.

Originally posted by smack500
ain't was added to the dictionary because people continued to use it. If enough people use it, it will become a official word before long.

I'm pretty sure it is a proper word now......I heard it was about 10 years ago. But, but both my 20 yr old dictionaries stated it was not a proper word, but they still came up with difinitions. Like I said words change as do definitions of words......definitions are not "set in concrete". But, I still don't think it's a "Southern word".:)

I herd at first it was concerdered not a word it went against our language rules or something, But people continued to use it and it got added as a proper word. Thats just what I herd from my old english teacher, which means its just a rumor.Either way Im glad its there I like saying ain't yall got some chops and taters ? :)

Interesting post, DE. :)

I happen to be fascinated by words -- their origins, regional usages (and pronunciations!), etc. I always thought there was a distinctly negative connotation to the word "redneck", but after reading some of your thoughts, have begun to think differently. I agree with Paul that it's sort of like the so-called "n-word" -- okay to use if you belong to a certain group, but derogatory if used by anyone else.

Very interesting, indeed...

BTW, Yankees do use the word "ain't" a lot. I use it when I'm in the mood but, of course, know it's incorrect. It should ALWAYS be in the dictionary next to the word "Non-standard"!! Don't care how many people use it.

I have always considered myself a redneck, but I guess since I do not live in the south, I must be something else. I just figured that if you used duct tape and chicken wire to hold key parts of your racecar together, then you must be some sort of a redneck. I guess my family is just a bunch of hillbillies without the hills.

OK,people, we have a choice here. We can accept the word "redneck" as a colloquialism, or we can take it literally, or we can assign a definition.

Option A: colloquialism - meant to connotate one who lives in a rural setting, is damn proud of it, and could care less what you think of him/her, his/her way of life, or anything else you choose to discuss.

Option B: literal - one who works outside, thus attaining a red tinge to the back of the neck area.

Option C: our own definition - MY definition is pretty much Option A. Others may attach a more negative connotation to it, at which point I chooes to APPLY Option A. I am tired of defending my Southern heritage, both here and in general. I'm a Southerner. I'm a redneck. I like it. I could not possibly care if you don't like it. Get over it. Bring your argument down here on a good Saturday night and I will personally change your mind. I'm Southern. I will BE Southern until they plant me. Anyone who has a problem with that can kiss every square inch of my ass. I been up North once...ONCE. Y'all can have it. Gimme Dixie, deal with it, or shut up. Not necessarily in that order. You're happy where you are? Wonderful. One less I got to deal with. You have regional pride? Fabulous. Nurture it. But leave mine alone dammit. In Dixie and don't like it? Get out. It's real simple folks.

Good God almighty. I am so done with this. Read the signature.

Hey man, it's all good. I think we've managed to be pretty respectful but still have a pretty good dialoge going.

Hope no one has been offended by anything I've said. :)

I personally have not been offended by anything anyone has said. Guess, I could care less what anyone thinks about me and my associating myself more with rednecks than any other "class" of people......but still wondering why we have classes in this "classless society" we live in.:)

why do we have classes of anything all stereotyping is does is cause trouble, nothing good comes from classifying humans into groups. Every single person is diffrent in some way.

Back
Top Bottom