Redskins' Taylor shot and in Critical Condition

Benevolent One

Team Owner
Redskins' Taylor shot and wounded at home
ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 26, 2007, 10:57 AM ET

MIAMI -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was in critical condition after he was shot at his Florida home Monday, police said.

Miami-Dade County police officers were dispatched to Taylor's home at about 1:45 a.m. and found him shot. He was then airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital, police Detective Alvaro Zabaleta said. He didn't know where on Taylor's body he was shot.

The Miami Herald reported paramedics found Taylor with a gunshot wound to the groin. A family friend who did not want to be identified told ABC-TV 10 in Miami that Taylor was shot twice.

A brief statement from the Redskins said Taylor was undergoing treatment at the Miami hospital and that police were investigating. His family has asked that no information about his condition be released at this point, said hospital spokeswoman Lorraine Nelson.

Taylor has a home in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay that he bought for $900,000 two years ago.

Taylor, 24, is in his fourth season with the Redskins after playing at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003. He leads the team with five interceptions but has missed the last two games with a knee injury.

In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

Taylor reached a deal with prosecutors last year after they agreed to drop felony charges against him. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in the assault case and was sentenced to 18 months probation.

The man, Ryan Hill, also sued, seeking at least $15,000 in damages. Hill suffered bruising to his body, incurred medical expenses and lost wages because of the fight, the lawsuit said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Other reports I have read since have stated that the reason he is in critical condition at this time is that the bullet hit the femoral artery.

Taylor's checkered past aside, I really hope he makes it through surgery and recovers for his kids sake if nothing else.

Great, just great.

Redskins are totally effed now, between Jason Campbell throwing more interceptions than completions and our best defense player being SHOT. :rolleyes:

What else could go wrong for the Redskins? :mad:

Santana Moss, Ladell Betts and Randel El are also questionable. There goes the season. :(

Guess I'd better hope the Jaguars can keep their playoff hopes alive.

I gave up on my other team 5 games in (Miami). :XXROFL:

Redskins already have him listed as out for Sunday against the Buffalo Bills.

I had just seen this myself...man, I hope he ends up alright out of this!

Redskins already have him listed as out for Sunday against the Buffalo Bills.

Maybe the hole in his femoral artery and losing 2/3's of his blood has something to do with this.....

He's not out of the woods yet. Doctor's aren't 100% sure he is going to make it and they are saying he may have brain damage.

Sorry your Redskins are going down hill....:rolleyes:

I find this nothing unusual. Here we have a man with a checkered past, making millions of dollars because he is quite the gladiator, clinging to life with some people wishing his well and a speedy recovery, and others ticked that they just lost another one of their better players.

Sorry folks, but with the hip hop generation, this is what you get. The really sad thing about it all is that there are some very good, very very good men, playing this game and we won't hear diddly squat about them because they do their job and stay within the law. Just like in NASCAR, when the money is big enough, fans don't like what happens on or off the field/track.

As they've said for a long time now, you can take the kid out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the kid. I pray for him and his family and hope that in the future, things like this won't happen, but I don't have any hope that this will change a thing.

Local news is acting like the President's been shot.

MORE Special Reports, Breaking News, Bulletins, etc, etc. :eek:

BREAKING RIGHT NOW

Taylor has came out of the coma and is responding to doctors. :)

And buckaroo, you couldn't be more wrong about Sean Taylor.

I also wonder why so many professional athletes, especially in the NFL and NBA, carry firearms on their person or in their car.

Back
Top Bottom