Refrigerant Usage in WC

H

HardScrabble

I can't vouch for the writer of this note, don't know that much about him. After I had mentioned using the spray to chill the intake manifold, someone here pointed out that cooling the manifold would cause the fuel to condense out of the flow and decrease performance.

From American Race Fans:

Penalty News and Notes -- In talking to the guys in the garage last weekend at the NHIS Cup race, we found out just what happened that got the #8 Bud team in trouble with NASCAR a few weeks ago (remember the fine against Tony?). According to more than one team it has been common practice to spray
the intake manifold of the engine with refrigerant just before going out to qualify. Cooling the intake produces a higher density in the fuel/air mix and produces more power. As the driver makes their run the engine heat overcomes the frost and like disappearing ink, there is no evidence of the crime. The only question at this point is just how did NASCAR find out? Perhaps they simply popped the hood prior to the run.

When I heard the 8 was in trouble over refrigerants I thought it related to fuel volume.

Suppose the team brings the temp of their fuel storage in the pits down 50 or 60 degrees. Wouldn't that decrease the volume, allowing more fuel to be put in the car's tank thereby creating a mileage advantage.

22 gallons of gas at 10 degrees F takes up less space than 22 gallons at 80 degrees F. Maybe 22.5 gallons could be squeezed into a tank. As it heats up to the outside temp, the volume increase is offset by usage.

?? Make sense to anyone??

Already been tried?

is that they ran the fule line close to some cooling source- cooling the fuel itself will increase horsepower......

Back
Top Bottom