Renault to leave F1?

F

foehammer111

http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=343258

Since Nelson Piquet Jr was let go from Renault, it has been suggested that the team ordered Piquet to crash his car during the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix. Thus bringing out the safety car, and allowing Fernando Alonso to win the race.

FIA has opened an investigation, and Bernie Ecclestone said that Renault might leave the series no matter which way the investigation goes.

A racing series.

But these days it's just a bunch of drama queens prancing around under their umbrellas in sunny weather trying to 1up each other.

:fixed:

I never understood the whole idea of having someone carry an umbrella over your head for the 2 minute walk through the paddock.

I never understood the whole idea of having someone carry an umbrella over your head for the 2 minute walk through the paddock.

You don't understand it because you're not an elitist that drives an overpowered go-kart for a living.

;)

Yay! More F1 drama! :rolleyes:

http://jalopnik.com/5356662/nelson-piquet-jr-flavio-ordered-me-to-crash-in-singapore

Nelson Piquet Jr told an FIA investigation that he was ordered by team manager Flavio Briatore to crash during the Singapore GP, thus allowing his teammate Fernando Alonso to win the race.

If it wasn't for the drama queens prancing around in F1, there would be no interest in the sport. It is any wonder that when crap like this is the main headline coming from the sport, races are having record-low attendance?

When you strip away all the BS, what you're left with can't even be called a racing series. What you have is over-powered go-karts doing single-file parade laps for two hours. The driver that starts pole almost always wins, and if a lead change happens at all, it's while one of the drivers is pitting.

So far this season, NASCAR has had 468 lead changes, and 13 different winners. That's almost as many races as F1 has in an entire season, and there's still 11 races to go! That's why NASCAR is the world's greatest motorsport.

It's all but certain now that Renault will be banned from F1. Renault released a statement Wednesday stating:

The ING Renault F1 Team will not dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

It also wishes to state that its managing director, Flavio Briatore and its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, have left the team.

Before attending the hearing before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on 21 September 2009, the team will not make any further comment.

So they've basically addmitted that a team order was given to Nelson Piquet Jr, telling him to crash so that his teammate, Fernando Alonso, would win the race.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/9/9953.html

Renault has been banned from F1 for two years. Former team boss Flavio Briatore has been banned for life, and former executive director of engineering Pat Symonds is banned for 5 years. Nelson Piquet Jr was granted immunity from sanctions for volunteering his evidence in the investigation.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/9/9953.html

Renault has been banned from F1 for two years. Former team boss Flavio Briatore has been banned for life, and former executive director of engineering Pat Symonds is banned for 5 years. Nelson Piquet Jr was granted immunity from sanctions for volunteering his evidence in the investigation.

Hmm, what affect will this have on Alonso. if it's revealed that he was in on it as well, he's done. As of last night, the two you mentioned had left the team, but no montion of their ban.

Hmm, what affect will this have on Alonso. if it's revealed that he was in on it as well, he's done. As of last night, the two you mentioned had left the team, but no montion of their ban.

Good point. Alonso has claimed that he didn't know anything about it, and even though I think he's F1's reigning jerk since Schumacher retired, I believe him. It makes sense to me: if you're going to have a teammate crash to benefit another, it's best if the other teammate knows nothing about it. This way it's less likely to come back to bite you.

As for Alonso, you can bet he'll land another ride. He's a two-time champ that's shown he's still capable of winning. Probably with one of the new start-up teams if nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom