Retired Crew Chief/ Current Driver Pairing....and vice versa

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
Okay, NASCAR Radio during the Holiday Season is awesome. Most of the idiots are on vacation, and the discussions are....well....about NASCAR. Here's a topic I heard yesterday that I will throw out to the board......If you could pick a retired Crew Chief to pair with a current driver, who would you choose.....then, let's go the other way.....a retired driver with a current crew chief......

Kyle Busch and Harry Hyde

Kyle Busch and Ernie Elliott would have been an interesting paring. Ernie Elliott was married to Shelia Elliott. She was rough and tough and she have would have learnt him. To do what SheToe'd (pronounced like Cheeto) him to do and made a respectful young man out of Kyle.

Ray Evernham and Larson would sure be my vote. Pairing Evernham and Chase Elliott would get me curious. Kirk Shelmerdine with Kyle Busch would be pretty intriguing to.

Knaus and KyBu.

Not like they could run a full season (or probably race weekend) together without killing each other, but hey, sure looks good on paper to me.

Labonte still drives, thank you.
Screenshot_20221230-034122_Google.jpg

I’ve been thinking about this a lot since it’s the middle of the off-season and I sure do miss racing. Had some rando combo’s come to mind
Cole Pearn-Kyle Larson
Jimmy Fenning and Brad Keselowski
Darrell Waltrip and Adam Stevens

It’s supposed to be a retired crew chief and current driver, and current crew chief and retired driver. Last I checked both of them are retired.

I echo the Evernham and Chase Elliott one mentioned a few post up.
Retired crew chief / current driver. Not vice versa

Harry Hyde Hailie Deegan
Danica Patrick Rodney Childers

Smokey Yunick/ Kevin Harvick

I'm confused about the thread title... "And" vice versa...
quote from original post pasted in italics
".If you could pick a retired Crew Chief to pair with a current driver, who would you choose.....then, let's go the other way.....a retired driver with a current crew chief.."

sounds like you could go either way to me as long the posted pairing includes a current and retired individual.

Rodney Childress and Jeff Gordon would have made a heck of combo

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Well I was taking as in NASCAR, not SRX. But fair enough then.
He's running NASCAR Mods too in the article , further down...

I think we will be okay if people want to consider Bobby Labonte either retired or active.
It just ain't as important as push rod lengths or having to live with the devastating results of having to live with the wrong PRLs.

Nah, read the OP

“If you could pick a retired Crew Chief to pair with a current driver, who would you choose.....then, let's go the other way.....a retired driver with a current crew chief......“
You are correct.

Frankie Stoddard and Kimi Raikkonen

• Considering Kimi Raikkonen as active in cup for this thread with a 2022 start.
• Reasoning once I listened to Stoddard calling out every lap time to Jeff Burton during the Six-Hunderd at Charlotte and how far the deficit was to second place car.
It would sound something like 30.5 very short pause 4/10s (or "30.5 and 4/10s") over and over almost every lap over and over, it was monotonous.

Burton finally told him to at least knock it off to only calling out the gap or distance to the 2nd place car and that he didnt need to be told every lap.

Can imagine how patient Kimi Raikkonen would have been, he would have been telling Stoddard to Shat the F up within the first 10 laps

I still think there is no guaranteed formula for the results. The best driver ever and the best crew cheif ever still might have been incompatible. Maybe there isn't enough room for the two egos to coexist or something else prevents them from then getting into each other minds and making some magic on the track.
Then there is another pairing that out performs them with a driver and crew cheif that are never thought of as the GOATS.

The word chemistry os over used but I cant think of more applicable term.

He's running NASCAR Mods too in the article , further down...
As I said said fair enough

I’ve been thinking about this a lot since it’s the middle of the off-season and I sure do miss racing. Had some rando combo’s come to mind
Cole Pearn-Kyle Larson
Jimmy Fenning and Brad Keselowski
Darrell Waltrip and Adam Stevens
Waltrip and Adam. That is awesome. Just awesome. Great post.

I still think there is no guaranteed formula for the results. The best driver ever and the best crew cheif ever still might have been incompatible. Maybe there isn't enough room for the two egos to coexist or something else prevents them from then getting into each other minds and making some magic on the track.
Then there is another pairing that out performs them with a driver and crew cheif that are never thought of as the GOATS.

The word chemistry os over used but I cant think of more applicable term.
I agree with this. Drivers are such divas....and the crew chief is the go between for the driver and the guys rolling around on the floor doing the grunt work, and the ones in the pits. I have always felt that the crew chief needs to pacify the driver while defending the dignity of his guys. That is why I have such respect for Adam. Walked away from a two time champion before he would fire one of his guys. I like that. I think he has a guy now who needs less babysitting.

Cole Pearn/Chase Elliott
For some reason I don't see that one working out. To me Cole likes to go rogue too much, while Chase seems to do better in the big organization where everyone does the same thing for the most part. But we'll never know

For some reason I don't see that one working out. To me Cole likes to go rogue too much, while Chase seems to do better in the big organization where everyone does the same thing for the most part. But we'll never know

I kind of think that Cole and Alan have similar temperaments. It would be interesting, but wonder what impact the Next Gen would have on Cole.

Back
Top Bottom