Retirement

Richard Petty started racing in the "Cup" series at the age of 20.

Why do people retire at a younger age now? Because they can.
So right on this. Drivers make more money now and... when they have that money by a certain age, whats the point of running a 36 race schedule every year? I think if NASCAR were to cut that schedule to 28-30 races, I would seem to think they would race longer.

Yeah, the drivers are making a lot more money now than they used to. By the time these guys hit 40, they have more money than they could ever spend.

As for Petty, he probably could have stood to retire about 5 years earlier than he did. I started watching NASCAR around 1986-87, and I don't ever remember him being good.

Yeah, the drivers are making a lot more money now than they used to. By the time these guys hit 40, they have more money than they could ever spend.

As for Petty, he probably could have stood to retire about 5 years earlier than he did. I started watching NASCAR around 1986-87, and I don't ever remember him being good.
I am pretty sure he didnt win a race after 1982. Not hating though, he was still the man until Earnhardt got started on his run in 86 On

Richard Petty 35 years career 8.5 million in earnings.
Jeff Gordon 25 years 153.7 million

So yeah because they can pretty much says it.

Heck between cup and Xfinity Timmy Hill has made over 5 million dollars

These men and women eat, sleep, drink, and think NASCAR.

Imagine as much as the older vets love the sport in Jr, Johnson, Kenseth, and others who have been in the sport for over 20 years... The schedule is a ************ and I appreciate the hell out of all of them. It takes a toll.

Look at Carl Edwards and Brian Scott, they just had enough. In Scott's case money ran dry, but family is more important than anything.

So yeah because they can pretty much says it.

Endorsements alone make up the majority of their respected bet worths. Petty and Gordon have LIFETIME sponsorships with some respected companies.

I have only been working as a crewmember on professional racing teams for around 20 years. But, with the rigorous schedule and the 60,000 miles of travel a year I don't think I have it in me to do it for another 20... but I would like to get another 3 or 4 years out of this old body if possible.:)

Spied the 22 junior sedan series, one of those Penske’s cup drivers use to beat up on the developin’ drivers like Gaughan so they feel better about theirownselves, show car at the new Discount Tire place down the road Saturday. The F250 ‘n the trailer parked in the corner of the parkin’ lot.

The ole fella luggin’ it around was in his red shirt talkin’ some dude inta lettin’ ‘im put a decal on his station wagon.

Must be a hell of a career.

There is a thread about Harry Gant; he was rookie of the year at age 39, won his 1st Cup race at 42, won his last cup race at 52 and retired at 53 (he went on for a few more years in other series). I guess the younger old drivers don't last as long as they used to.

Harry Gant is unique even when compared to old school drivers, most do decline significantly before 50. And most that raced at 50 or older should have already retired.

Harry Gant is unique even when compared to old school drivers, most do decline significantly before 50. And most that raced at 50 or older should have already retired.
I think Harry's record of oldest winner in the Cup series will stand for awhile. He was 52 years, 7 months, and 6 days old when he won his final Cup race, a record that has stood for nearly 25 years. Mark Martin was the last driver with a legitimate shot of breaking Harry's record, he came close to winning a couple times when he was past that age but couldn't quite seal the deal. I don't see any of the good current drivers staying around/staying good for that long.

Don't be surprised if Kenseth walks away at the end of this year. And as one of the last true-blue Petty fans, the King should have won the '88 spring race at Richmond. He finished third but timing of the last caution and late stops folks that were there will tell you NASCAR screwed up and 201 would have happened if Richard would have protested. But as the story goes Richard refused to protest, not wanting the last win on his record to be a contested win.

I think most drivers stay on as long as they can get a ride. Retirement is usually forced upon a driver. I think the sport has reached a point where some drivers can leave the sport on their own terms.

I don't dispute your numbers but I thought Petty said a couple of years ago the Daytona winner made more in that single race then he did in his career. I dunno??

I don't dispute your numbers but I thought Petty said a couple of years ago the Daytona winner made more in that single race then he did in his career. I dunno??
That's what racing reference has I don't know if they base that off team earnings or driver.

Same thing. Listed as driver earnings, check payable to the team owner.

These men and women eat, sleep, drink, and think NASCAR.

Imagine as much as the older vets love the sport in Jr, Johnson, Kenseth, and others who have been in the sport for over 20 years... The schedule is a ************ and I appreciate the hell out of all of them. It takes a toll.

Look at Carl Edwards and Brian Scott, they just had enough. In Scott's case money ran dry, but family is more important than anything.

I agree as I don't think drivers retire early because they can more than they just don't want to deal with a 36 race season plus sponsor commitments. If Nascar had a 6 month season I believe more drivers and other personnel would stick around longer.

I have only been working as a crewmember on professional racing teams for around 20 years. But, with the rigorous schedule and the 60,000 miles of travel a year I don't think I have it in me to do it for another 20... but I would like to get another 3 or 4 years out of this old body if possible.:)

I sure hope you do!

Back
Top Bottom