Return of the French GP

Kiante

Team Owner
2018 will mark the 10 year anniversary of the last French GP at Mangy-Cours. Paul Richard will be the track of choice, by far one of my favorites, will be back in 2018. It is a five-year deal, this is ducking awesome. Get the German GP on a consistent basis and San Marino GP back, I'll be more than satisified with the calendar.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/french-gp-return-at-paul-ricard-confirmed-857043/

2018 will mark the 10 year anniversary of the last French GP at Mangy-Cours. Paul Richard will be the track of choice, by far one of my favorites, will be back in 2018. It is a five-year deal, this is ducking awesome. Get the German GP on a consistent basis and San Marino GP back, I'll be more than satisified with the calendar.
I don't really like Paul Ricard, it's more a test track than a race track. I don't know which of the 180 possible layouts F1 is gonna use, but I don't see many corners where overtaking in a F1 seems to be possible.
And the problem the German GP has is the low attendance. After Schumacher's retirement, Hockenheim and Nürburgring never had over 60,000 spectators at Sunday.
At the Hockenheim weekend this year, Bernie suggested to held the German GP at Sachsenring in 2017. I would have been cool having a GP just about 10 miles from me and in the first year a lot of people probably would have visited it. But they wouldn't pay €200 just for a Sunday ticket each year.
The same thing happend to the Austrian GP in recent years.
In 2014, when F1 returned after 11 years, the race was sold out with 95,000 tickets.
In 2015, 55,000 spectators attened the race.
And in 2016, the Austrian GP had only 35,000 spectators at Sunday.
But as long as Didi pays, F1 will stay in Austria.
And if the 2018 Hockenheim GP has low attendance again, F1 will probably say out of Germany from 2019 on.

Back
Top Bottom