Richmond Raceway Pre-Race Thread

Fans take a huge dump on this track, you know the "Muh Entertainment!" folks, but I still believe in Richmond. At one time it was just as exciting as Bristol and I still enjoy the racing here. The Action Track!

I want to agree with you, because I absolutely loved Richmond in the 90's and 2000's. And I'm having deja vu right now because I feel like this same conversation happens every time we race here. But there just hasn't been a lot of good racing at Richmond in the last decade or so, and I'm really not sure why.

Like I've done before, I'll post this clip from Richmond in '95, because this always sticks in my memory. Start watching at the 46:00 mark, notice Rusty and Dale running side by side for the lead (with Gordon lurking behind) for several laps until Spencer gets in the way. Gordon drops out with a fuel issue, then back around the 51:00 mark, the 2 and the 3 are in another side by side run again, battling for the lead for a half dozen laps or so. This used to be a multi-groove track.

Shoutout to Derrike Cope in Bobby Allison's #12 Ford hanging strong in the top five all day.....

People want it to be the action track again...but it hasn't been in years. Lately it's been weird Indycar oval style pit strategy which is not what short tracks are for.
Cupace20230331171631991.png

Looking at the forecast it looks like it may clear up this afternoon. Like I said I don't have to sit in the stands so let's see what this wet weather package does in some light rain. I'd rather it debut in a lower series than the big show

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

This is how you NASCAR.....put it here because the build will happen live and the Richmond 2 race....so damn cool...

1680365663188.jpeg

Lmao HMS gets their points back and it sets the lineup for tomorrow. This stuff writes itself

“The one advantage Cup teams have is a deep notebook on this particular tire set-up, with this weekend’s race being the eighth on this combination of left- and right-side tires since the series went to the Next Gen car at the beginning of last season. Cup teams ran this tire set-up twice on this track in 2022, and got a refresher course at Phoenix three weeks ago.”

“The one advantage Cup teams have is a deep notebook on this particular tire set-up, with this weekend’s race being the eighth on this combination of left- and right-side tires since the series went to the Next Gen car at the beginning of last season. Cup teams ran this tire set-up twice on this track in 2022, and got a refresher course at Phoenix three weeks ago.”
Looks like a 2 stop race like the last race with tires not being much of a factor.

Looks like a 2 stop race like the last race with tires not being much of a factor.
Tires were a huge factor last year. 2 stop strategy refers to splitting the final stage into 3 stints, not the whole race. Hamlin chased down Byron on fresher tires at the end of last year’s spring race thanks to the 2-stop/1-stop differential.

Tires were a huge factor last year. 2 stop strategy refers to splitting the final stage into 3 stints, not the whole race. Hamlin chased down Byron on fresher tires at the end of last year’s spring race thanks to the 2-stop/1-stop differential.
I watched the race. By being able to skip one pit stop in which everybody did that the second race of the season after Hamlin beat them makes tires a moot point IMO and not a huge factor. A huge factor would be a caution fairly early in the last stage or fairly late.

X ran green for the first two stages before they went stupid.
I'll never understand how some people watch a chaotic event like racing and call it stupid when racing happens. To each their own, I'm closer to spectacular like when running on the edge at over 180MPH Sanchez who had dominated the Truck race loses the handling coming to the finish line. There is nothing stupid that I see about that. To each their own

Oh I didn't catch that. The yota lover(s) and Hendrick haters (some are fortunate to be both) will be going on and on about that for months lol.

Back
Top Bottom