RIP, Scott Kalitta

candle-1.gif
RIP

:(

My prayers with Doug, Connie and the rest of the Kalitta family.

Ironic, Old Bridge Township Raceway Park is where he started his professional drag racing carrer. It's also where it ended.

He is in a better place. For one more time, it can be said for Scott, good night and good luck.

Been watching this guy for years...Sincere condolences to the family.

my dad said he was opposite lane when blaine johnson and darrell russel were both killed.

OMG i just saw the video.. That was Insane!!! Something needs to be done so that never happens again!! I feel so bad for his family!! But when i pass on i hope it is doing something that i truely love like Scott was doing!! RIP SCOTT!!!

found this on a drag racing forum. Somebody with a high shutter rate camera snapped it at just the wrong time.

Also, it was confirmed from at-track witnesses that both chutes did deploy, but quickly vaporized.

They need to make the chutes out of nomex or something that doesnt vaporize under heat.

And maybe use a system like air brakes where the brakes are applied under emergency- like say a sensor line is melted to lose line pressure.

He went through the lights and 300 and change, and estmated concact speed is between 250 and 300 mph.

been told unofficially that all kalitta cars have been pulled from the event. IF this is the case, due to the short field, 13 cars will be on the bracket.

kalittaboom.jpg

some how i always miss the NHRA whens its on so i dont know to much about NHRA. today i was at sonoma for the cup practice earlier when i got home to watch the nationwide quailifying they cut right in and said that scott died. it was a shock and i watched the NHRA showafter the quailifying and seen everyone was in shock and sad about what happend and they did his life story and it mad me sad. all i can say was scott was a great driver a great champion and a great human being.

That's just not enough run-off room for 300mph+ cars.

They'd be better off using the landing strip at the airport.
Yes.

I bet Old Bridge Township Raceway Park won't be on the 2009 Full Throttle Drag Racing Series calendar.

just a note even if the track was a little bigger it wouldnt matter because his parachute didnt work, they should have like sand or gravel pits before the wall that would be more safe.

That's just not enough run-off room for 300mph+ cars.

They'd be better off using the landing strip at the airport.
1320 dragway, 2800 ft shut down area, 40 foot sand trap

wilson- his chutes did deploy (they are attached to the chassis for auto deployment upon body removal), they burned up in the fire.

Just my opinion, but the wall was put up to protect innocent drivers on the road. Having said that, the location of the track is simply wrong. However, I wonder how often this has happened in the past at different tracks? Remember, it took Dale Earnhadt's death before NASCAR began the HANS device was mandatory. The death of Scott might mean life for another driver in the future. We all learn by experience and we will never be able to foresee the future.

I never knew Scott Kalitta. I have not been watching NHRA long enough to have learned about him. But after hearing all that was said about him on Saturday and Sunday I can say I would have definitely been a fan of his......and poor Gary Scelzi, couldn't even get through that interview.....and all of this brings me back to think about Eric Medlen, it's hard to believe it's been over a year. I don't recall ever getting to see him race, but I know for a fact I most definitely would have been a fan of his. He just seemed like a great guy, great personality, very friendly to everyone including the fans and a great friend to his teammates. John Force had even said he saw Eric as a son. And I for one was very upset over his death. (I like all of John Force racing, so I will now be adding Mike Neff to my list of guys to root for).

RIP Scott Kalitta and Eric Medlen <3

And oh wow, my gosh, what time for your camera to catch an image.

Just my opinion, but the wall was put up to protect innocent drivers on the road. Having said that, the location of the track is simply wrong. However, I wonder how often this has happened in the past at different tracks? Remember, it took Dale Earnhadt's death before NASCAR began the HANS device was mandatory. The death of Scott might mean life for another driver in the future. We all learn by experience and we will never be able to foresee the future.
Alot happened after Darrel Russel and Eric Medlen.

I REALLY hope they do a full investigation into this just like they did on darrel russel.

maybe, if nothing else, some linkage that activates the brakes when the body is lifted or removed.

I catch flak from time to time for not takin pics of wrecks and things at my local track......... that pic represents why I generally put the camera down when things start to go bad. Ya never know what the outcome may be. Thoughts and prayers to the family, friends and fans...........

So apparently a witness that was at the top end during the wreck, posted some pictures on the internet of the car while they extracted it from the sand. NHRA had a stop put to that quickly.

Now, in New Jersey, it turns out the state police reign higher than NHRA (unlike the Darrell Russel incident...which we still don't know what happened to him), and that the state police are running the investigation, NOT NHRA. So basically, this whole ordeal is going to be in the public records of Old Bridge Township. We WILL know what happened...unlike Russel.

NHRA's Lawyers issued a statement today.

Andy, have fun picking this apart.

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=162197#indextop

In light of this tragic incident, NHRA is looking into the shutdown area. NHRA has requested data from FIA regarding design and make-up of runoff areas in other forms of motorsports to see if it has any useful application to the unique forces in drag racing. Together with the racing community and outside groups, NHRA will research and analyze catch nets and restraint devices that are used in other applications, including military applications. In addition, NHRA will analyze additional methods that might be developed at the top end of the race track to help arrest runaway vehicles, given the speed, mass and other factors synonymous with NHRA drag racing.

Well, at least they're doing something right.

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/15881-drivers-speak-shutdown-areas-3.html

Alan Reinhart is the top end driver interviewer (Gary Gerould's counterpart for the track's intercom) (not sure on spelling) has made a statement saying Scott was fully conscience. Anything Alan says is USUALLY set in stone.

This means either He's lying, or he's seen the video from the top end camera.

http://blogs.nhra.com/nhrablogs.asp?blog=gilby

BB from Gilbys camp has photos of the car has it entered the sand and after and Scotts hand is tugging on the brake before the net--

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/15915-nhra-releases-findings-3.html#post151512

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/15915-nhra-releases-findings-3.html post # 42

Well, thats not the news we wanted to hear.

Tj Jr i believe has attached the parachutes to the burst panel, and Trxel's car has a kill switch on the wheel that cuts fuel flow and pulls the chutes in 1 press, and 1 button over is the bottles.

Back
Top Bottom