RIP windows 7

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
upload_2020-1-14_14-29-46.jpeg

What is the result of this to owners of and using Windows 7?
Programs stop working properly was what happened to me with Win95. As they continue to make changes to Windows they leave out coding that allows programs that run on Win 7 if it was that same as what happened to me. Older computers have different internal architecture also. The Linix operating system I used was a much smaller much cleaner operating system. I would say the closest comparison would be Android to Apple phones/Linix to Windows.

Reactions: sdj
Win7 will never necessarily go "unsupported". see: winXP.

Windows 10 has been a free upgrade since version 1803 for the most part, for both Win7 and Win8. But even with that, many businesses (mine included) has not finished the migration. We're at about 60%. The school district I used to be at only hit 100% this summer when I left.

Win7 will never necessarily go "unsupported". see: winXP.

Windows 10 has been a free upgrade since version 1803 for the most part, for both Win7 and Win8. But even with that, many businesses (mine included) has not finished the migration. We're at about 60%. The school district I used to be at only hit 100% this summer when I left.

True. They'll pay a premium for Windows 7 support that will increase every year by 25%. But only for an extra 3 years.

At some point you'll definitely need that Win10 upgrade.

Windows 7 will continue to work, there just won't be any security updates. Problems won't come up until you try to install a new program that isn't compatible for Win7.

Reactions: sdj
Windows 7 will continue to work, there just won't be any security updates. Problems won't come up until you try to install a new program that isn't compatible for Win7.
I had that, but the internet was where I started having problems first. Don't update your programs if possible or they will update themselves out of the win7 OS. At least that was what happened to me with Win95.

Programs stop working properly was what happened to me with Win95. As they continue to make changes to Windows they leave out coding that allows programs that run on Win 7 if it was that same as what happened to me. Older computers have different internal architecture also. The Linix operating system I used was a much smaller much cleaner operating system. I would say the closest comparison would be Android to Apple phones/Linix to Windows.

Open source software will keep these alive. I was using Windows NT and Windows 2000 on some stuff all the way into the Vista/7 era.

Anything that runs Windows 7 will run Windows 10 just fine. The minimum specs are the same. It's actually amazing how long computers last now thanks to things like solid state drives and stuff.

True. They'll pay a premium for Windows 7 support that will increase every year by 25%. But only for an extra 3 years.

At some point you'll definitely need that Win10 upgrade.
I had that, but the internet was where I started having problems first. Don't update your programs if possible or they will update themselves out of the win7 OS. At least that was what happened to me with Win95.

We still have 1 specific program that will not run on 64 bit architecture. We have to use Win7x86 specifically for that program, luckily its not widely used in the company.

The kicker? The rep says that they have zero intention of updating their software.

We still have 1 specific program that will not run on 64 bit architecture. We have to use Win7x86 specifically for that program, luckily its not widely used in the company.

The kicker? The rep says that they have zero intention of updating their software.

At my work they are taking a strategy of upgrading slowly like when a PC comes in for repair, etc

Do I need to reinstall all the programs and files if I upgrade 7 to 10 or will they
just work when 10 is installed? Thanks.

Do I need to reinstall all the programs and files if I upgrade 7 to 10 or will they
just work when 10 is installed? Thanks.

Download the Win10 Media Creation tool and load it onto an empty flash drive. Then run the setup file. It will ask you a bunch of questions, accept the EULA, ect. One of the questions is 'Would you like to keep your programs and files, or to reset windows completely"

It defaults to keep everything, but you'll want to make sure that box stays checked.

Download the Win10 Media Creation tool and load it onto an empty flash drive. Then run the setup file. It will ask you a bunch of questions, accept the EULA, ect. One of the questions is 'Would you like to keep your programs and files, or to reset windows completely"

It defaults to keep everything, but you'll want to make sure that box stays checked.

Yes, they do ask you that but you still have to re-install all the apps and programs anyways. I ran windows 7 on a virtual machine because I wanted to find out if it was true that the upgrade was still free and it is indeed. I installed a couple of programs on it, firefox etc and I chose to keep all my files but when windows 10 desktop came up, the desktop was empty af with no programs installed other than Microsoft edge and their bloatware crap.

Yes, they do ask you that but you still have to re-install all the apps and programs anyways. I ran windows 7 on a virtual machine because I wanted to find out if it was true that the upgrade was still free and it is indeed. I installed a couple of programs on it, firefox etc and I chose to keep all my files but when windows 10 desktop came up, the desktop was empty af with no programs installed other than Microsoft edge and their bloatware crap.

Thanks fellas! I will give it a whirl.

That might be a VM issue. We've upgraded about 150 desktops at work with the MCT and they have all kept apps and files.

Back
Top Bottom