Rivalries In Cup Series

JGR_20

Team Owner
I’m sure this has been done before, but just generally speaking... which Cup Series Rivalry would be listed as your favorite since you’ve been a fan?

I mean ‘Rivalry’ as in the way the journalists and media spin it as well... because that word DOES get used way too much... for example, many debates could be had over which on track battles could or should be called rivalries and which ones shouldn’t... I hope to avoid some of that with this question.

So in the eyes of the racing journalists/media, which on track story line/battle grabbed your attention the most and made you really want to keep up with the progression in weeks ahead more than usual?

Gordon vs Earnhardt
That really wasn’t a rivalry on the track. Gordon got the best of Earnhardt most of the time. The fans made that more than what it was IMO. Just a changing of the guard.

I‘m biased of course but I like Busch vs Kez. They DO NOT like each other and will put the screws to each other every opportunity they get.

I wish I was watching when Bodine and Earnhardt had their early issues. By 90 when I started watching, they raced each other HARD still. Bodine always made Earnhardt earn it to pass him and vice versa.

Bodine and Earnhardt was pretty serious - www.keepit35.com/earnhardtvsbodine/

Gordon/Earnhardt seemed more of a PR rivalry, Gordon's career was taking off as Earnhardt's career was declining.

Kyle Bucsh vs. several drivers might be kind of a rivalry.

I don't think NASCAR or sponsors will tolerate a serious rivalry these days and that is probably a good thing. A pair of drivers retaliating against each other usually collects other cars.

I think I’d go with Wallace Vs Earnhardt... They had a couple cross ups but it was bigger with the fans. Being a wallace fan, I wanted him to outrun the 3 at all costs.

for comedy, I’d say Brian Vickers Vs the field in 2011 martinsville.

That really wasn’t a rivalry on the track. Gordon got the best of Earnhardt most of the time. The fans made that more than what it was IMO. Just a changing of the guard.

I‘m biased of course but I like Busch vs Kez. They DO NOT like each other and will put the screws to each other every opportunity they get.

I wish I was watching when Bodine and Earnhardt had their early issues. By 90 when I started watching, they raced each other HARD still. Bodine always made Earnhardt earn it to pass him and vice versa.
Dale won more championships head to head .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Not on the track though
Really? They don't talk about them banging off each other too much? Just Pearson winning more head when they actually raced each other since Pearson and WB skipped the short tracks.

Dale won more championships head to head
tenor.gif

Larson vs. Larson.

Surely an all-time top five greatest rivalry right there.

Dale Earnhardt and Geoff Bodine. Their meeting in Daytona with Big Bill following the '88 600 is legendary which is why it was referenced in "Days of Thunder".

Davey Allison famously called Bodine "Conehead" right around that time too.

There was also the Brett-Geoff feud in '94. Geoff actually admitted to "family issues" following their dustup at the Brickyard.

Matt won that one. :pbjtime:
How come he is the one looking for a job? He may have thrown a wrench into Joey's championship that year but while he was sitting in the #6 car Joey went out and won his championship. I think Joey got his 3 wins this year, how is Kenseth doing?

I think friendly rivalries are fine. Kenseth and Jr was the first friendly rivalry I noticed. They came up together from Busch/Xfinity (they were among the best there) and they both came to victory circle to congratulate each other for their first Cup victories.

How come he is the one looking for a job? He may have thrown a wrench into Joey's championship that year but while he was sitting in the #6 car Joey went out and won his championship. I think Joey got his 3 wins this year, how is Kenseth doing?
Not apples to apples....

I'm guessing you're a Lagano fan, I'm not. I still chuckle when I think about that day. Matt's getting pretty old for this stuff but he's a champion too.

I'm guessing you're a Lagano fan, I'm not. I still chuckle when I think about that day. Matt's getting pretty old for this stuff but he's a champion too.
I am a race fan, sure not a fan of this crap no matter who is driving.

Brad K ‘Not Lifting’ Vs The Cup Series field at firecracker 400 a couple summers ago

Huh? Dale won his last two championships in '93 and '94, Gordon's first two years in Cup. Gordon won in '95, '97, and '98.
That's right.

I know Dale won 4 in the 90s, so that's what I'm thinking.

Damn my recall is atrocious in this thread

Jeff Gordon Titles vs Dale Earnhardt: 1995, 97, 98
Dale Earnhardt Titles vs Jeff Gordon: 1993,94
I still cant figure out his statement.
Is there something to figure out? Is it really not obvious to you guys that I'm mistaken/ remembering Dale's title years wrong?

The error here is that Dale won 4 titles in the 90s, and Jeff won 3. I mistakenly assumed they were all head to head. Obviously incorrectly. Apologies.

Back
Top Bottom