Rogers arrested for gun possession

Benevolent One

Team Owner
How can these guys be this stupid and still manage to function on a daily basis? :confused:

Rogers arrested for gun possession (at the freaking airport!)

CLEVELAND -- Cleveland Browns nose tackle Shaun Rogers was arrested Thursday at Hopkins International Airport after a loaded gun was found in his carry-on luggage.

Rogers, who had been at the team's suburban training facility in recent days taking part in a voluntary offseason program, was stopped at a security checkpoint on Concourse C when officials spotted a loaded .45-caliber handgun in his bag, police said in a statement.

He was arrested at 12:15 p.m. "without incident," transferred to a downtown processing center and booked for carrying a concealed weapon, a third-degree felony.

Sgt. Sammy Morris of the Cleveland Police Department said Rogers was being held in the city's jail Thursday night.

No charges have been filed yet, police said, though the 31-year-old Rogers could face federal fines for carrying the firearm.

It's not yet clear what Rogers, who lives in Houston during the offseason, told officials about the gun or whether he has a permit for it. It's also unclear whether he was traveling with anyone.

Browns president Mike Holmgren issued a statement saying the team was aware of Rogers' arrest.

"We will continue to gather additional information, and until the legal process has taken its course, we will reserve any further comment," the statement said.

A message seeking comment was left with Rogers' agent, Kennard McGuire.

Beyond his legal problems, Rogers, arguably the Browns' best player, will likely face league penalties if it is determined he violated the NFL's player-conduct policy.

A three-time Pro Bowler who has played two seasons with the Browns, Rogers missed Cleveland's final five games last season after breaking his leg on Nov. 29 against Cincinnati. He was acquired by the Browns in 2008 in a trade with Detroit for cornerback Leigh Bodden and a third-round draft pick.

Rogers came to the Browns with a spotty reputation. He was suspended for four games in 2006 for taking a banned substance to control his weight. In 2007, an exotic dancer claimed he inappropriately touched her at a club in Detroit, but an investigation cleared him.

The Lions also had issues with Rogers' weight and his commitment.

Rogers made the Pro Bowl in his first season with Cleveland, recording 4½ sacks and 81 tackles in 16 games. Blessed with amazing quickness for a man his size, Rogers has also excelled in blocking field goals and extra points. Before getting hurt last season, Rogers blocked one field goal -- the 13th of his career -- and two extra points.

Rogers and Browns coach Eric Mangini got off to a rough start before last season. Rogers had felt slighted when Mangini, weeks after being hired by Cleveland, did not acknowledge him at an awards banquet at a downtown hotel. Rogers reportedly asked to be traded, but the two met and patched up any differences and Mangin often praised Rogers, known to his teammates as "Big Baby," for his leadership last season.

Rogers' arrest is just the latest incident involving high-profile athletes and guns.

Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas was recently sentenced to 30 days in a halfway house for bringing guns into his team's locker room; New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress is serving two years after pleading guilty to a weapons charge; and Cleveland Cavaliers guard Delonte West is facing weapons possession charges after he was arrested in Maryland.

:confused:

I won't go where I really want to go with this but I will say that I wonder why so many professional athletes today find it necessary to own and carry a gun. How many times in the last couple of years has there been a professional athlete that has been arrested for some sort of violation of laws dealing with weapons? I do believe that it's a problem dealing the what has become acceptable with those having a problem. Take this where you will.

I won't go where I really want to go with this but I will say that I wonder why so many professional athletes today find it necessary to own and carry a gun. How many times in the last couple of years has there been a professional athlete that has been arrested for some sort of violation of laws dealing with weapons? I do believe that it's a problem dealing the what has become acceptable with those having a problem. Take this where you will.

How many members of this forum own and carry a gun.

Wasn't too long ago that all the radical right on the forum were yelling it was their right to own and carry a gun.

Muggle, this is't like you.l You usuually defend our posters with whqt they write.
Do you reckon there are letterally groups of us who are gun carriersa? Do you reckon we pull out our gan and start shooting into a crowded parking lot? We any of us try to copy the millionaire athlete who brandished a gun or two in the locker roo? Muggle, how many pf is [psters jave tje aidaicotu tp attempt to carry a loaded hand fun on to a plane in our carrry-on luggage? And seriouosly, do you think that any of us right wing gun toters whoud actually pull out a gun in a pack night club and shoot ourselfs in the foot?

Maybe you go to different places than I do, But I'm not threatened by anyone in any recreational venue I attend, thus I don't feel the need for a fire arm. And I especially don't feel like brandishing a gun at my own work place.

One last question...why has these gazillionaire athletes determined that they should be pakiing when they go outa?

Yep Muggle, there are many cases pending for our little group of righties on arms cases.

It's been said a gazillion times before......you can take the kid out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the kid.

Why does anyone think it is necessary to own and carry a gun. like those whackos that go into Starbucks with a holster and gun on their hip.

Why does anyone think it is necessary to own and carry a gun. like those whackos that go into Starbucks with a holster and gun on their hip.

The laws are pretty clear on who can carry a concealed firearm. Generally business owners who handle money, such as those making bank deposits for their businesses and security personel are eligible in most states. I have no idea why Shawn Rogers qualified, but requirements vary from state to state.

^because there is no reason for most people to have guns.

Tell me this, why does every football player think he has to have a gun? It's not like he's in a gang or something lol

there's nothing wrong with most people owning a handgun if they choose to do so. i think most people are smart enough to know you don't carry a loaded weapon on planes or into public places. don't go confusing the right to bear arms with common sense.

there's nothing wrong with most people owning a handgun if they choose to do so. i think most people are smart enough to know you don't carry a loaded weapon on planes or into public places. don't go confusing the right to bear arms with common sense.
Corecto. This just goes to show you that so many of professional athletes do not have common sense. Or is it the attitude that they are untouchable and can do as they wish?

Corecto. This just goes to show you that so many of professional athletes do not have common sense. Or is it the attitude that they are untouchable and can do as they wish?

You can take the athlete out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the athlete. Basket ball players and football players alike. Some just don't get it and never will. Money doen't make you smarter.

I own a gun? Yes...Do I carry it? No, I'm not allowed to by law. Would I? Some times. Would I carry it on a plane? NO NOT ALLOWED TO!!! WTF is so hard for these thugs to understand?

This is in no way a second amendment issue, in my opinion. This is a stupidity issue. Most lawful gun owners are responsible people with legitimate reasons to be armed. Not knowing where a loaded gun that you own is is just ignorant beyond comprehension. If he had been caught with a knife, or a taser or some other type of weapon it would have still been really stupid, but it wouldn't have drawn the ire of so many anti-gun people.

I hope they throw the book at him.Pleading Not Guilty and claiming "I FORGOT" it was in there.Bullchit.Be a man and take your lumps.

CLEVELAND (AP)—Cleveland Browns nose tackle Shaun Rogers(notes) has pleaded not guilty to a concealed weapons charge after authorities say he tried to carry a loaded handgun through airport security in a carry-on bag.

Rogers’ attorney Patrick D’Angelo says his client entered the plea Saturday in Cleveland Municipal Court. The charge carries a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison.

The 31-year-old apologized to his fans and his team Friday after spending a night in jail, saying he didn’t mean to take the gun into Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. Rogers told police he forgot the gun was in his bag when he attempted to fly to Texas on Thursday.

D’Angelo says Rogers planned to fly to Houston later Saturday to spend Easter with family and will make sure “to check everything.”

Back
Top Bottom