Roush shuts down Barrett's No. 60 Ford

P

pettyfan4life

June 11, 2003
4:29 PM EDT (2029 GMT)

CONCORD, N.C. -- Geoff Smith, president of Roush Racing, announced that the Roush Racing No. 60 NASCAR Busch Series team will suspend operations effective immediately.

"Roush Racing has been able to successfully execute a 15-race marketing test for Clean Control Corporation, makers of OdoBan Odor Eliminator and has proven to their satisfaction that the NASCAR Busch Series is a viable marketing investment," said Smith.

"It is now up to the marketing staff at Clean Control to take its experience to generate the ancillary marketing initiatives necessary to fully activate the program through their distribution base.

"While we hoped that we could continue to operate without interruption, we are optimistic that the final marketing plans of OdoBan will include a longer term commitment to Roush Racing and the Busch Series."

In this season's 15-races, Barrett has earned twice as many top-10 finishes as he had totaled in his previous 52 starts spanning the 10 years before joining Roush Racing.

"Stanton Barrett was on course exactly as we had hoped. These 15 races represent the most consecutive races Stanton Barrett has ever run, and it has been his only experience driving with the support of a fully dedicated team," said Smith.

"With only a short period of adjustment, he has finished in the top 10 four times and qualified in the top 10 five times, with a best finish of sixth. By the end of the year we thought Stanton would be a regular visitor to Victory Lane.

"While we hope that we can keep him in our stable of great drivers, we have nowhere to place him. Contractually, he is a free agent and he definitely deserves a chance for a full-time ride with a top team."

Barrett, an accomplished Hollywood stuntman of 15 years, is currently in California working on the set of Spiderman 2.

"I appreciate Roush and OdoBan giving me the opportunity to demonstrate my driving abilities with a properly supported team," said Barrett.

"This first third of the season has been the best I have ever run in the Busch Series and I believe that without a doubt, the remainder of the season would have brought continued success.

"Right now I am just hoping that another full-time opportunity presents itself."

Sorry about that Pettyfan. You must have posted yours just as I started to post mine.

Finally that horrible driver is off the track. I really hope Roush isn't serious about trying to keep Stanton and put him somewhere else. Hopefully now Rousch will finally decide to hire drivers based on their talent, not whether they have a sponsor or not. Four top 10s in 15 starts in Roush equipment is horrible.

:) Jayski now says Roush racing may add a partial Busch program for Carl Edwards. That would be a great move!

A part time ride for Edwards would be a good move.Barrett was never a good fit for the old #60.Hope to see the car back up and running soon.

This is a surprise! I can see why he shut it down tryign to run 3 teams out of his own pocket would just hurt everythign too much. Close one team which is not doing so well so he will have more money tospend on te 2 trucks that are doing pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom